Help researching Cleveland Clinic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponytaila1a

I have just received a referral to Dr Bruce Lytle. I checked his bio and looks good. I have mitral valve leakage. moderate to severe. Question: I have knowledge of two people who went to the clinic for surgery. Both had Dr
Pettersson. Does anyone have knowledge of experience with anyone else?
Also....is it "proper" to question the doc on the # of procedures he has done
(I am hoping mine is mitral valve REPAIR).....or would that be insulting. Is there a place to "review" stats on different surgeons? Thanks for the help.
I'm very new to this. I'm sure I want the Cleveland, just not comfortable with the surgeon at this point.

If you put "Lytle" into the search box, you will come up with many references to Dr. Lytle. I'm sure some with knowledge of him will be along soon. Particularyly Al. It is by all means proper to question the surgeon as to his experience and his stats.

Gillinov and Lytle seem to be the two main mitral valve guys at Cleveland. They have a lot of papers together as well. I think Gosta Petterson is the aortic valve expert, if I am not mistaken. Lytle seems to be older and more experienced in general, but you should ask how many mitral valve surgeries he has done. I have been doing a lot of searches on the internet to get these statistics about surgeons, haven't had much success.

Good luck with the surgeon selection. If you are willing to travel so far from home to get the surgeon you want, you should be picky! Keep us posted.

Best
Nupur

If you put "Lytle" into the search box, you will come up with many references to Dr. Lytle. I'm sure some with knowledge of him will be along soon. Particularyly Al. It is by all means proper to question the surgeon as to his experience and his stats.

Thanks for the reply. Never thought of searching this forum. Must be because I'm from Flor-i- DUHHHHH. Or because I'm still in shock over my dx!

Gillinov and Lytle seem to be the two main mitral valve guys at Cleveland. They have a lot of papers together as well. I think Gosta Petterson is the aortic valve expert, if I am not mistaken. Lytle seems to be older and more experienced in general, but you should ask how many mitral valve surgeries he has done. I have been doing a lot of searches on the internet to get these statistics about surgeons, haven't had much success.

Good luck with the surgeon selection. If you are willing to travel so far from home to get the surgeon you want, you should be picky! Keep us posted.

Best
Nupur

WOW!!! My stress just went down by about ten million levels!!! Thanks so much. We must have been "posting" at the same time. THANKS EVER SO MUCH!!

My former neighbor's son had Dr. Lytle for his last surgery at Cleveland Clinic (he's had several done there). Don is a very complex case due to having severe Marfan's Syndrome and Cleveland Clinic calls him their "living miracle". I know that a lot of his insides are held together with mesh because his tissue is so thin (due to the Marfan's). I was just chatting with him when i ran into him at Wegman's last week and he said that Dr. Lytle "is the best". He liked him the most of all his surgeons there. He must be really good for him to do the complex surgery that Don had.

I'm sure a lot of the other doctors there are equally as good. Like you said, check out the stats of how many surgeries like you're having that they have done. They have a lot of really good surgeons there that probably are very capable of doing your surgery. Get one who you feel comfortable with too and who answers all the questions that you have.

Good luck, Dawn-Marie

Bruce is the man. You cannot go wrong. I would say Cosgrove is the man, but he done went and made himself director of the facility.

A year ago today I had my aortic valve replaced at The Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Lars Svensson. CCF is the place to be for valve replacement and Dr. Lytle is one of the best..

Ask all the questions you can think of and I am sure you will ge the answers...

Best of luck...

I am also in Florida. Check out the Cleveland Clinic Weston Florida. Dr. Boyd or Dr. Dullum. Both are excellent. I had valve replacement done on 12/12/07 with Dr. Boyd. He is excellent. I had a follow up with Dr. Dullum since Dr. Boyd was on vacation after I returned home following surgery.

My experience with CC Weston was excellent.

Thanks for all of the replys. I have been "away from the site" for a bit. Actually slept last night and got out of the house today. Back to reality of the dx tonight. I will check out all of the recommended sites. Thanks again,

I just saw your post.7 years ago when I was planning to come to CC for my AVR and triple bypass the 2 doctors that I was considering were Dr Cosgrove and Dr Lytel. I had contacted Dr Lytel and was aranging the trip from NC to Cleveland when 9/11 happened and my plans had to change. Everything that I heard about Dr Lytel was wonderful. There was another person posting here at the same time (early Sept or late Aug.20001 who's Father flew to CC to have Dr Lytel do his surgery..they were very happy with Dr Lytel..you can do a search for that time period and my name to find it
Good Luck
Joan
PS is there any way that I can do spell check here.. I need one..my typing and spelling are awful..LOL

Latest posts

Back