Help please

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas

Anyone in the South Carolina,MyyBeach area? I need to get some warfarin and can't get any through official channels. I'd be happy to pay for it.
I'm a bit desperate.

Thanks for the well wishes.
The trip was great with a few exceptions.
First, the plane was full on the way down. My carry-on that had my warfarin in it had to be put in with regular luggage below where someone promptly rifled through it. Several things went missing and my drugs were not to be found. Hope the thief didn't try it thinking it was something else. That was the reason I reached out.
I ended up having to be admitted to a hospital where the doctor would then prescribe replacement warfarin. I haven't seen the bill yet but I'm thinking it's going to be up in the $5-6 hundred range. I think insurance will cover some of it. Walk in clinics wouldn't help.
Note to self: Always carry backup dosages in another location (like my wife's purse) when travelling just in case.
Then there was the hurricane (my first). When it hit Myrtle it had dropped to cat. 2 so it wasn't anything like the Bahamas saw. There was a lot of rain and wind but only minor roof damage to a few houses that we saw; some low land flooding and a few trees down. It looked way worse on TV than we experienced. It only lasted a day but it was eerie to see the town evacuated.
A lot of the golf courses were closed on Friday to clean up trees and branches that had fallen then back open on Saturday. So we golfed 5 days out of 7. That was plenty. Had some great food and company. We'll be going back for sure.
Most interesting vacation I've had in a while.

The added context of being on a trip is helpful. I was picturing illicit Warfarin deals taking place in back alley’s. “Man, this is grade A 100% brand name Coumadin! None of that generic oval BS! I only sell this to my best customers!”

In hind site I probably should have led with that.
I was hoping i could save the doc/hospital visit. A back alley would have been fine at that point. : )

I went on a short editorial trip from Los Angeles to Monterey (about 400 miles), and forgot to bring the little luggage thing that had medications. When I got to Monterey, I called my doctor (that was in the days when you could actually REACH a doctor - not wait on a stupid voice messaging system, only to either be disconnected by the system after ten minutes of prompts, or get a 'sorry, this mailbox is full' message when you finally get to the 'leave a message' prompt). The doctor called the order in to a pharmacy in Monterey, and the emergency was resolved.

Also - today, in the United States, there's at least one system that keeps track of all the medications you've been prescribed in what seems to be the last decade or so. If you can't reach your doctor or her practice, you might be able to convince a pharmacy to do the refill (if a refill is available), or a doctor to write the prescriptions without charging you for a complete emergency room visit.

I may not be quite as kind in saying "I hope the thief doesn't take it." Maybe a good bout of blood in the urine and excessive bruising - and a likely visit to an emergency room - may convince this crook that medications shouldn't be stolen from luggage.

For the future, if you use CVS and Wallgreens, they have locations all around the country and you can get drugs through their system at other locations. My daughter did that when she was in college and going between home and school. My urologist offered to call in a prescription whenever needed, wherever I am, I just need to leave a message with the nurse with what I want and the number to call it in to.

Reactions: Eva
I don't wish ill will on anyone but yes a little illness would be ok. 😆

The biggest problem is that I learned that pharmacies in the USA don't recognize prescriptions from Canada and visa versa. So anyone of us from the States would have the same issue in Canada that I had in the USA.
Very frustrating and potentially dangerous.

Absolutely. Medical licenses (and prescriptions) don't cross Inernational borders. (I don't know if this applies to the EU). Even the names of some medications change from nation to nation, in some cases.

It's a shame that there can't be some International agreement that allows for maintenance doses, renewable if the person stays in a 'foreign' country, that would keep the person alive, but not make it possible to sell certain medications to others.

I'd been able to grab a couple tabs from Walgreens or similar when travelling and forgetting the daily dose of rat poison.

It's a shame that there can't be some International agreement that allows for maintenance doses, renewable if the person stays in a 'foreign' country, that would keep the person alive, but not make it possible to sell certain medications to others.
never had any problem getting it when travelling

I love that movie!
It ended up not being a huge problem except for the fact that I had to be admitted to a hospital to get it; and the associated costs that will come with that. I'll let you know once the bill comes in.

I'm sure that it wasn't a problem -- but you shouldn't have to be admitted to a hospital just to be able to get your out of Country medications (and, yes, I realize that the potential for abuse is there, but, hey, who would want to do illicit distribution of warfarin?)

The biggest problem is that I learned that pharmacies in the USA don't recognize prescriptions from Canada and visa versa.
I travel a bit internationally and to the best of my knowledge prescriptions are a national matter. When I go to another country (say Finland) my prescriptions from Australia are useless. Prescription medications still require a prescription to dispense, so I just go to a doctor in Finland and they write me a prescription and the pharmacy fills it. Naturally I have to just pay for this.

Absolutely. Medical licenses (and prescriptions) don't cross Inernational borders. (I don't know if this applies to the EU). Even the names of some medications change from nation to nation, in some cases.

As Pellicle has also said, prescriptions are national only in the EU too. Whilst there is an "EHIC card" (European Health Insurance Card) that entitles EU citizens to the same public healthcare arrangement as the destination country's citizens, a local prescription would be needed for medication.

Wondering out loud here.

Many of the Drug Store Chains in the US, Walgreens and CVS have walk in medical clinics in them staffed with certified nurse practitioners who can write prescription on the spot. They are for things like flu and colds. They may be a cheaper option to get warfarin in a pinch in the US.

Latest posts

Back