Help!!Nosebleed for 4 days now,INR2.1

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to keep myINRbetween 2.0and 2.5 any higher and I get nose bleeds. I have had a couple of spots cauterized by my ENT DOC. but within aou a month it starts all over again.That is why Ijust stick to my Afrin and ice treatment. YOU can also place an ice pack on the back of your head to help slow down a nose bleed.
Lettitia

Have you told your ENT that you use Afrin?

Mine told me to NEVER use it (but that may have been because it can be addictive with continued use).

I know that nasal bleeding CAN BE a side effect of other nose sprays (Flonase and maybe Nasonex).

Yes my ENT DOCknows about the Afrin. The vasoconstrictrive properties that make it so addictive are great for limited use like during a nose bleed.Nasonex has a steroid itin it which actually makes mucous membranes more likely to bleed but, it does get rid of allergy symptoms.

Lettitia

I thought my 3-day NB experience was a record!

I thought my 3-day NB experience was a record!

This is gross!

NB happened to me a couple of years ago, mid-January. Dry weather and a bleeder that lasted 3 days. Awful experience. Went to ER 3 times. The docs and nurses were betting I'd be back a 4th time! (I sent them a thank-you card with a cartoon of a doctor in a vampire costume). Cost me about $3K.

They did cauterize me in the ER. I can remember 3 people working me over as I sat in the special little ER section that is set up for eye, ear and nose injuries. I even helped by using the suction hose on myself and holding the blue plastic drain pan. Dang near became comical, but I felt I was in good hands. The "nose-rockets" were absolutely no fun. Oddly, my INR was fine too. I made a couple of follow-up visits to an ENT, for more cauterizations and final removal of over 6 feet of gauze. Weirdly, I think he enjoyed that part, but he was very gentle.

Told ya it was gross!!

Since then I swear by tubes of Vaseline that I keep everywhere (office, home, briefcase, golf bag). I keep it moist all year round now and use personal humidifiers at office and home in winter. If I get the sniffles I use Children's chewable Benadryl.

Alicia, I hope you're doing better now? Take care and I hope you (we) never have to go through this again.

Help!!Nosebleed

Help!!Nosebleed

Hi Alicia,
I was in the ER Sat at 4am because I had Niagara Falls coming out of my throat and nose. They had me pinch my nose for 20 minutes to see if it would stop bleeding. My inr was 2.54 and my iron count was good. It seemed to stop and they decided to cauterize a part of my nose and then I was sent back to the hotel. (We had just gotten to Hartford CT for a Mended Hearts Convention.} I was okay for a few hrs and then Niagara started again so I pinched my nose and it stopped. A few hrs later it started up again but this time we went back to the ER. They said that they would pack it this time. I said okay ? (I had that done about 10 yrs ago when I had some similar event and all it was was some medicated gauze stuff packed into my nose) when out came the intern with the Rhino Rocket. He shoved it in so hard I thought it would come out the back of my head ? I almost passed out the pain was so bad- he never offered me any pain meds or anything. I was one big mess. To add insult to injury I have a small nose and the smallest RR he had was a medium so I don?t know how it got in there. Well then they inflated it which made me almost faint again with pain and sent me home. About 4 hrs later I was back in the ER so that they could inflate it some more because it was bleeding again. After that it seemed to be holding and I was in pain so we left for home Sunday. I called my internist and he said to try and hold out to see an ENT on Tues. The CT hospital gave my husband a syringe that adjusts the inflation of the RR. He was able to loosen it a bit so that I didn?t have as much pain but it was awful waiting 48 hrs to see a doc. The ENT doc then took out the packing and said he?d seen a lot worse and cauterized another spot and then packed it with a collagen ?skin? that would protect the inside of my nose until it heals as it is so raw. I also have to take it easy. What an ordeal ? I hope you are doing better since you saw your ENT.
Sharon Feldman
St Judes AVR '97

Hey all..I saw the ENT and by then there was no more bleeding so he said to keep my nostrils moist with saline drops and see him again in 4 weeks. He said my nostril was so swollen and he didint see the need to do anything at this time.
I had my INR checked the same day and it was 1.5 to my cardiologists horror. These ER Drs just cant advise us how to take Coumadin correctly. All is well for now.
Tha nks to all
:):):)

Latest posts

Back