Help!! Bad Echo Report....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CThrock

Hi everyone,
Got the results of my CT Scan and the Echo. It's a good news bad news scenairo. My CT Scan of my lungs was great the dr. said I was at 97 percent pretty good for only having 1 full size lung and the other only about half.
But, the bad news was my Echo which showed modate to severe leakage with my tricuspid valve and with my pulmonary problems it's not very good. He wants me to get a sleep test done seeing if I'm getting enough rest at night or breathing right at night. He wants me to exercise more and get more weight off ( Cooker's Throw Down here I come) He said at this point if they did surgery I would probally have acute heart failure and not make it through the surgery,and that no surgeon would do the surgery knowing that. I guess I was sort of shocked that he even said that!!!:eek: I feel good most of the time in the am a little slow and not feeling great but I keep going then I feel better later in the am.
Have any of you had your tricuspid replaced or fixed? Or know who has? Just want to make sure I'm doing all I can to keep from surgery.
I thought the dr was very hush on his report. No I did'nt get the results I guess I was in shock. He's never done that before.
I know you guys will direct me on what I should do and I could use your encouragement and wisdom about now.
Thank you vr family. Crystal

PS. Have any of you done a sleep test (heart related)?

Crystal,
I am sorry to hear you got this type of report on your echo. I don't have experience with tricuspid issues, mine is mitral valve, but wanted you to know I will be thinking of you in the weeks ahead. Hang in there and I am sure someone will be along with some valuable experience in this area.

Chris

I don't know that I'd accept nothing can be done without talking to a surgeon about it and I mean a high risk surgeon like Dr. McCarthy. If he says your going to be a problem, well then......

I have not had a sleep study due to afford-ability. Insurance will cover it, but I have an outrageous deductible for it.

I think KFEY has a tricuspid replacement? but could be wrong.
Sorry to read your news, wishing you all the best.

Very sorry to hear your bad echo, Crystal. Keep in mind your cardio may think no local surgeons would do a risky case but you have many other options for great surgeons who take on the harder cases. Cleveland, Mass General, Brigham & Womens.....many west coast choices as well.
Sending all best wishes your way.

Guess I was shock on the whole ordeal and the way the dr put things.
I've called and asked for the last two echo's I'll pick them up Friday.
Then I can probally tell you more details. My insurance will go anywhere for surgery as long as its a in net work place. That's why I had it at Stanford.
I'll have the sleep test in Sept after we get back from vacation. I hope somebody that has had this type of surgery will let me know what they experienced. Thanks for your continued help.

Guess I was shock on the whole ordeal and the way the dr put things.
I've called and asked for the last two echo's I'll pick them up Friday.
Then I can probally tell you more details. My insurance will go anywhere for surgery as long as its a in net work place. That's why I had it at Stanford.
I'll have the sleep test in Sept after we get back from vacation. I hope somebody that has had this type of surgery will let me know what they experienced. Thanks for your continued help.

As I told you last night Crystal, the initial shock upon hearing these news can be baffling & leave you unable to think rationally for a while. But then, you have to gather your witts & start forumulating a plan of attack.

I'm glad that you are gathering your reports & so glad that your insurance will cover you whereever. That is a real relief too. I believe that mine & my husband's plan does also, so I'm relieved about that too!

There are surgeons out there that can help us & together & w/the help & support of the people here on this forum, we'll get thru this!

So, go on vacation & enjoy yourself & try not to think about what's going on. You can attack everything when you return. :)

Sending you prayers! :)

Hi everyone,
Got the results of my CT Scan and the Echo. It's a good news bad news scenairo. My CT Scan of my lungs was great the dr. said I was at 97 percent pretty good for only having 1 full size lung and the other only about half.
But, the bad news was my Echo which showed modate to severe leakage with my tricuspid valve and with my pulmonary problems it's not very good. He wants me to get a sleep test done seeing if I'm getting enough rest at night or breathing right at night. He wants me to exercise more and get more weight off ( Cooker's Throw Down here I come) He said at this point if they did surgery I would probally have acute heart failure and not make it through the surgery,and that no surgeon would do the surgery knowing that. I guess I was sort of shocked that he even said that!!!:eek: I feel good most of the time in the am a little slow and not feeling great but I keep going then I feel better later in the am.
Have any of you had your tricuspid replaced or fixed? Or know who has? Just want to make sure I'm doing all I can to keep from surgery.
I thought the dr was very hush on his report. No I did'nt get the results I guess I was in shock. He's never done that before.
I know you guys will direct me on what I should do and I could use your encouragement and wisdom about now.
Thank you vr family. Crystal

PS. Have any of you done a sleep test (heart related)?

I had a tricuspid valve replacement about 5months ago and at the time of surgery I was told that if I had waited any longer , I "wouldnt have made it
off the table". Since I allowed my severe tricuspid regurg to go without surgery for so many years, I ended up with mod. rt atrial failure(the vent. isnt too bad) and of course the pulm. HTN that goes with it. My SOB was pretty extreme and even now after the surgery,its only a little better. Though as my cardio told me , my operation was primarily to prevent me from going into full and irreversible CHF, and secondly to try to reverse the damage done already.My last echo has shown slight improvement and my
symptoms have decreased but not disappeared.
So alot of times , it seems like doctors may tell someone that they are
inoperable because they have a real cautious philosophy or they dont want
to be responsible if they feel its a high risk surgery-like mine.
If you want to ask me anything,you can PM me anytime.
Also, I believe Kfay had a tricuspid replacement(or repair) also.
I call her my tricuspid buddy , since there arent too many of us:)
My Best to You-Dina

I just got copies of my last two Echo Reports one done on 10-17-07 & the recent one 7-1-08.
Here's the read out of the report:
2007 tricuspid valve mild to moderate regurgitation
TR V max 2.10m/s
TR max PG 17.58mmHg

2008 tricuspid valve moderate to severe regurgitation
TR V max 2.38m/s
TR max PG 22.66
Conclusion:
Overall left ventricular function is low normal, with EF between 50-55%
There is mild concentric left ventricular hypertrophy. Septal hypokinesis
The patient has a mildly enlarged LA with a LA index of 30-40ml/m2
The right atrium is mildly enlarged
There is a mechanical valve in the postion (no duh) The peak gradient is 12 mm/Hg mean is 6mmHg MVA=1.7 cm2 normal function
There is a mechanical valve in the aortic postion ( no brainer) Peak gradient is 19 mmHg, mean is 10 mm/Hg AVA= 1.6 cm2 Normal function

So there it is but its greek to me. Thought maybe some of you would know what it meant.
My concern is the Tricuspid valve. I can see it has changed in the last almost 10 months.

They said this sleep test will show how I'm breathing at night. Because I wake up wanting to go back to bed.
I'm excersising more again and trying to take off more weight. Hopefully that can help.
I cherish your opinion. Hope I get better responses this time now that I have the report.

Thanks, Crystal

Crystal, I had my tricuspid replaced with a porcine valve 3 months ago. I'm not at home right now so I can't get my echo's to compare numbers with yours but when I do get home I'll look. Usually, a tissue valve is used in the tricuspid position because of clotting issues. However, I have read that some surgeons are more willing to use a mechanical if there are already other mechanical valves in place...(If I can find all of these papers again I'll pm them to you). I don't have any advise on things you can do to keep this from getting worse. I had severe regrug. and my rt. ventricle will never function properly but this is more a function of my Ebstein's Anomaly. If I can answer any other questions, feel free to pm me.

Kim

Back