Hello To all From Cookeville Regional Medical Center

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rangerscat

Well, here it is day 5 and I believe they may let me go home today if my INR levels are OK.
Let me start off by saying, it's been a heck of a week. It was 630am as they began rolling my bed down the cold hospital hall towards the elevator. We entered the elevator, Wife, Sister and Mom, and headed for the basement.
As we got to the basement, the very tall and cool Head nurse for the OR Mark told my family this was the kissing area. We all said our good byes and they rolled my into the OR staging room. The started prepping me, IVs going in, hoods going on my head, and before I knew it I was out.
The surgery started at 730am and I was in the CV ICU ward at 1123am. I was woke up at about 230pm with the breathing tube still in my throat. Things were a little difficult here, but not near what I thought they would be with the tubes in my throat. After they got the tubes out of my throat and I was given my first chip of ice, we were in way better shape. Most of the first night was spent monitoring me, patient to nurse. The Morphine drip took care of most of the pain the first night so I just pretty much slept most of the night. I guess I was doing just fine, because the next morning which was Wednesday they decided to move me to a regular room. I had one tough night in my regular heart room, and up until today it has been a blessing. I walked when I was told to walk, did what ever I was told to do and now they are just waiting for my INR level results to see if I can go home. I hope all goes well, and I'm discharged today. I'll have to say over all it has been an pretty decent experience, with very little complications. If anyone has any questions for me please feel free to post them and I will answer them.

I'm on the other side of the mountain and so far it feels great.

Ranger (John)

Excellent!

Excellent!

John

Great going! Sounds like we were in competition for the easiest time of it. You may win that since I had some arrythmic events crop up that delayed my release a few days.

I don't remember very much from first waking. I know I had the tube in, and I sort of remember them taking it out. I think morphine was helping me out here as well.

What valve did you end up choosing?

Fast Eddie

John,

Welcome to this side of the mountain. You sound like you had OHS.;) :D Everything you describe is pretty much par for the course and glad that you are feeling well enough to just wish you were home.

Hoping for a discharge today and you are back home very soon.

Welcome to your new life! Coumadin and INR is a tiny learning curve, so if you have problems becoming stable, just post away and we'll get you squared up.

Welocme aboard! Just had my OHS April 3. Coumadin is fun to learn - as Ross said.
Folks here are a blessing! ;)
Let us know how you're doing and best of luck!!

Great news sounds like everything is going well. I remember all to well the same procedures. Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back to the things you enjoy soon. :)

Congrats! Every time I read a great post like yours, I am less apprehensive. Thanks so much for sharing and letting those of us in the "waiting room" know it isn't so bad.

Good luck on a speedy recovery!

John

John,

CONGRATULATIONS on arriving at the other side! Hope you were able to go home after all!

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Tell me what you see" ... Bob Carlisle ... 'Getting Stronger'

Still Here

Still Here

Well I didn't get to go home. My INR levels were too low, and they thought it was best if I stayed until they were closer to 2.0.
I'm not feeling a lot of pain from the surgery, except for little bits of pain coming from the incision area. I have been using my breathing machines regular, to try to keep my lungs clear but have coughed up a small protion of green phlim which hurts just a tad bit. Thank goodness for the heart pillow.
Has anyone else had problems with a bowel movement? I am almost 6+ days and still have not had a movement.
I also do not have a great appetite. Most foods, smell and look not so good to me.
I'll post more a little later.

John

Sorry you are still cooped up but I am glad they are paying close attention to the INR - it is very important.

Pain meds often cause constipation. If your electrolytes are in balance, ask for a Fleet suppository - a truly great product.;) :eek: :D ;)

I had aortic aneursym/aortic valve repair May 14th. My appetite is just now beginning to pick up. For awhile, nothing at all sounded good and I have probably lost 10 pounds or so. Now, I get hungry but get really full within a matter of a few bites so I guess its not unexpected. I try to eat anyway as I know my body needs the nutrition. bowel movements are equally affected. I kinda got tired of the nursing staff at the hospitall asking but its important given the pain meds, inactivity and the fact that you probably shouldn't be pushing down (if you know what I mean) givien you recent surgery and chest incision so its important to get something for it. Hang in there......

rangerscat said:
Well I didn't get to go home. My INR levels were too low, and they thought it was best if I stayed until they were closer to 2.0.
I'm not feeling a lot of pain from the surgery, except for little bits of pain coming from the incision area. I have been using my breathing machines regular, to try to keep my lungs clear but have coughed up a small protion of green phlim which hurts just a tad bit. Thank goodness for the heart pillow.
Has anyone else had problems with a bowel movement? I am almost 6+ days and still have not had a movement.
I also do not have a great appetite. Most foods, smell and look not so good to me.
I'll post more a little later.

John

John

Sounds like a replay of my surgery! I went for maybe four days w/o bowel movement. They tried all sorts of stuff I didn't like: prune juice, milk of magnesia, a mixture of the two etc. They finally gave me a suppository and that solved the problem relatively quickly and easily. Have not had a problem since. Sounds like a suppository would be right for you as well. And it really isn't a big deal, come to find out.

I did notice that I had an odd kind of taste in my my mouth for a few days. It luckily wasn't real unpleasant, just unusual. And my appetite is definitely not what it was before surgery. For me that's a blessing. Maybe I can finally maintain a good healthy weight!

They let me go with my INR at 1.8. I guess becauase the On-X valve has reasonably good behavior at lower INR. It didn't take long for my INR to get up to 2.8.

Sounds like you're well on your way to sharing a good recovery with me!
Keep posting.

Fast Eddie

Back