Hello! Just had Mitral Valve Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday morning I saw my cardiologist and when I mentioned floaters she immediately said I should have an MRI of my brain and she went on her computer to start to put in a referral for one. But then she stopped within seconds and said, "Well, let's see what the opthalmologist says later today first".

I then went to the opthalmologist a few hours later and she said my eyes look fine and she'd like me to return in one month to ensure there is no deterioration over that time period. She said floaters can happen as you age or could be a result of a major surgery. At least she acknowledged that surgery seems to make it happen as so many people on forums speak of floaters and aura after OHS. I never had floaters until my surgery. She was encouraged when I said my floaters have become less strong over time, but did tell me to seek medical attention right away if I get bright flashes or if the frequency increases.

I then messaged my cardiologist and asked that since my eyes checked out okay if we should proceed with the MRI. She replied and said I should wait two weeks and let her know what has happened by that time. Huh....

I do have my weekly visiting nurse appointment later today and since she is affiliated with the surgeon's office I want to lay this all on her and see what she says, and push her to contact the surgeon. This is a different visiting nurse than the first one I had who referred me to my PCP after immediately declaring no connection between the surgery and the eye disturbances. I also.think back to when I was in the hospital and a seasoned nurse told me "it's probably the meds you are on".

The one certainty in medical care seems to be that the more people you ask about a situation the more varying responses and diagnoses you will receive.

Your cardio is not an eye doctor :)

Just to follow up on all this, when I told my visiting nurse two days ago about my bright white floaters she nodded and said she knows about those occuring post-surgery and attributed them to changes in blood pressure.

She said that because I'm on Metoprolol that my blood pressure is lower than usual and that this is causing floaters. She said it's akin to when people see stars before they faint.

That didn't quite make sense in explaining a single white floater with no other symptoms of low blood pressure.

Anyway, I ask another person and I get another answer. At least she, like the opthalmologist, admit this exists after OHS.

Just to follow up on all this, when I told my visiting nurse two days ago about my bright white floaters she nodded and said she knows about those occuring post-surgery and attributed them to changes in blood pressure.

She said that because I'm on Metoprolol that my blood pressure is lower than usual and that this is causing floaters. She said it's akin to when people see stars before they faint.

That didn't quite make sense in explaining a single white floater with no other symptoms of low blood pressure.

Anyway, I ask another person and I get another answer. At least she, like the opthalmologist, admit this exists after OHS.
I'm on metropalo,also, no floaters, feel like fainting yes, first I was on 2full tablets a day, then when I told them about almost fainting, they cut one dose in half, happened a couple more times now I'm only on 1/2 dose at nite no more issues, Dr even ordered a heart monitor, but due to the type of work I door wouldn't stay on, they will implant one
If things don't change but they have

I'm on metropalo,also, no floaters, feel like fainting yes, first I was on 2full tablets a day, then when I told them about almost fainting, they cut one dose in half, happened a couple more times now I'm only on 1/2 dose at nite no more issues, Dr even ordered a heart monitor, but due to the type of work I door wouldn't stay on, they will implant one
If things don't change but they have
Get a second opinion, at mass general their cardiac staff was great if you want the drs name I'll get for you

Sure, I'd appreciate that. I wouldn't have minded if my surgery was at MGH or Brigham and Women's. Glad I didn't do Beth Israel. I remember when I met the surgeon there I made a mental note of how bad the bathrooms were. Not a good first sign of choosing a location for surgery!

So I had dr.sheftel from Newton wellsely hospital
As my cardiologist
Dr . Serguei meinitchouk mass general as my surgeon he is supposed to be the one to go to for mitral valve issues

So I had dr.sheftel from Newton wellsely hospital
As my cardiologist
Dr . Serguei meinitchouk mass general as my surgeon he is supposed to be the one to go to for mitral valve issues
Thanks, I'll try and figure out their take on this.

To follow-up, I spoke to someone with MGH and I also saw my surgeon and a PA from his office (separately) last week. They attributed those little white comet-like things I saw to the pump. They couldn't explain why, just how, and they were unconcerned about them and said many patients report them. The PA told me that a lot of people also see bright dust bunnies on the floor.

Also, I should mention I've not seen any of these little swimmer (or maybe floaters is more accurate) for a month now and I'm 41 days post-surgery today.

It was nice that they didn't blame the beta-blocker I was put on after surgery, they didn't pretend they had no idea what I was talking about (as patients on many other forums have complained about) and they, like me, seemed quite concerned that my cardiologist suggested a stroke and wanted an MRI on my brain. I've decided to switch cardiologists and hope for someone who doesn't seem to just say things off the top of her head and then talk her way out of it (half the time) within 30 seconds.

Latest posts

Back