Hello, and need help about The Forgotten Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msdizzydolores

Trying to figure out this work life balance thing.
Supporting Member
Hello everyone... My name is Dolores and it says that I'm new, but I know I've been here before, but probably under another name.

For the past month I've been experiencing worsening symptoms of shortness of breath, heart palpitations, chest pain and other signs and symptoms such as swollen feet, and my feet turning blue.

Saw the nurse practitioner at my cardiologist's office on Wednesday and I have a bunch of test scheduled for May 22nd such as an echocardiogram, a VQ scan and a few other diagnostic tests.

I'm writing all of this to say she thinks I either have clots in my legs because she couldn't find posterior pulses on both of my legs, only the anteriors, and/or that my moderate to severe tricuspid regurgitation has now advanced. But we won't find that out until I have my echocardiogram in May.

Last night doing research, I was a little discouraged that I don't see any good information about tricuspid valve repair or replacement.

I'm reading through the board and there aren't any posts that I can find of those who may have had only their tricuspid replaced or repaired. From the research it seems that no one does tricuspid valve surgeries.

So I'm scared to death that I'm going to die either way. It appears that the success rate after a tricuspid replacement or repair is extremely low; but higher for repair over replacement.

If I'm able to get surgery, I could be a fatality. If I don't get surgery, I can suffer tremendously until the day I die.

Someone please give me some direction of what to do, and where can I find more information, or if there any posters on this board who have only had an issue with their tricuspid and had it repaired or replaced.

Thank you.

Scared crapless here in PA 🙁 :cry:😭

Hi

firstly

don't be as its all well under control at the hospitals these days. I had my first OHS at 10 (which was a repair of my Aortic) and that lasted for about 18 years.

With respect to what to do, I was lucky and in a very different position to you, but rest assured that no matter what valve is chosen to replace yours it'll save your life and you'll recover very well

You're sure its the tricuspid vave?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pr...ricuspid-valve-replacement/about/pac-20385087
looks good IMO

This suggests about the same "freedom from reoperation" as other bioprosthetic valves

https://academic.oup.com/ejcts/article/50/5/988/2444502
I understand that mechanical is also available (I'm only experienced with my own situation which is Aortica)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6226498/
mechanical valves remain valuable, particularly for the patients who want to avoid reoperation for bioprostheses malfunction.

Seems like its just a matter of getting it done and then getting into recovery

Best Wishes

I am 76 and had tricuspid valve repair on 24/03/23 together with mitral valve repair and Cox Maize at the Cleveland Clinic in London UK - now just over 4 weeks later, I feel good with far less shortness of breath, although they do say that your brain is a couple of weeks ahead of your body in recovery!! The only real problem I've had is that of very itchy skin, which seems to have been caused by an allergy to Omeprazol which I was prescribed by my surgeon, but have now stopped.

One or two things to know that you may not be told:
1 It is quite common to experience shoulder pain after surgery, particularly in the left shoulder - apparently the left arm is strapped to a board for the 4-5 hour duration of the surgery.

2 Also common to have a sore through after the surgery - two reasons for this, a tube is inserted in your throat during the surgery to assist breathing, and I at least had a TOE done after the surgery while still asleep.

3 When in ICU following surgery, leg compression clamps (I called them) are fitted to your legs to assist circulation - very unpleasant, feels like a big hand is grabbing your legs at regular intervals!

4 You may have automatic blood pressure kit attached to your arm - mine was very tight when in action!

5 Trying to eat for the first time in ICU is not easy, and my taste buds had temporarily changed although the curry on the menu went down a treat!

Hello everyone... My name is Dolores and it says that I'm new, but I know I've been here before, but probably under another name.

For the past month I've been experiencing worsening symptoms of shortness of breath, heart palpitations, chest pain and other signs and symptoms such as swollen feet, and my feet turning blue.

Saw the nurse practitioner at my cardiologist's office on Wednesday and I have a bunch of test scheduled for May 22nd such as an echocardiogram, a VQ scan and a few other diagnostic tests.

I'm writing all of this to say she thinks I either have clots in my legs because she couldn't find posterior pulses on both of my legs, only the anteriors, and/or that my moderate to severe tricuspid regurgitation has now advanced. But we won't find that out until I have my echocardiogram in May.

Last night doing research, I was a little discouraged that I don't see any good information about tricuspid valve repair or replacement.

I'm reading through the board and there aren't any posts that I can find of those who may have had only their tricuspid replaced or repaired. From the research it seems that no one does tricuspid valve surgeries.

So I'm scared to death that I'm going to die either way. It appears that the success rate after a tricuspid replacement or repair is extremely low; but higher for repair over replacement.

If I'm able to get surgery, I could be a fatality. If I don't get surgery, I can suffer tremendously until the day I die.

Someone please give me some direction of what to do, and where can I find more information, or if there any posters on this board who have only had an issue with their tricuspid and had it repaired or replaced.

Thank you.

Did they say anything about the legs, for it sounds like you have edema, which is quite common in cardiac patients like us, that retain water in our legs and feet. And if you have a bypass, the odds ate greater that you will survive the surgery, for I did survive double bypass with aortic valve replacement. You will more likely have bypass and have replacement someday and will survive. Please do not do all of your research on the internet, for there is a lot of misinformation out there. You can go to American Heart Association, and other more reliable sources for replacement surgery information. DO not worry about statics, for it is never accurate, due to the many strides in Open Heart Surgery these days. We have many who have had this surgery and still alive today, thanks to the research done and many strides in helping many survive this surgery. Good luck here on get more accurate information. And please try to stay calm, for stress is not good for a cardio patient. Try to relax. And breathe.

I am 76 and had tricuspid valve repair on 24/03/23 together with mitral valve repair and Cox Maize at the Cleveland Clinic in London UK - now just over 4 weeks later, I feel good with far less shortness of breath, although they do say that your brain is a couple of weeks ahead of your body in recovery!! The only real problem I've had is that of very itchy skin, which seems to have been caused by an allergy to Omeprazol which I was prescribed by my surgeon, but have now stopped.

One or two things to know that you may not be told:
1 It is quite common to experience shoulder pain after surgery, particularly in the left shoulder - apparently the left arm is strapped to a board for the 4-5 hour duration of the surgery.

2 Also common to have a sore through after the surgery - two reasons for this, a tube is inserted in your throat during the surgery to assist breathing, and I at least had a TOE done after the surgery while still asleep.

3 When in ICU following surgery, leg compression clamps (I called them) are fitted to your legs to assist circulation - very unpleasant, feels like a big hand is grabbing your legs at regular intervals!

4 You may have automatic blood pressure kit attached to your arm - mine was very tight when in action!

5 Trying to eat for the first time in ICU is not easy, and my taste buds had temporarily changed although the curry on the menu went down a treat!
Hello - I just found out today that I have moderate to severe tricuspid regurgitation. My mitral valve repair done 20 years ago looks very solid. I also found out a few months ago I am in permanent atrial fibrilation (did not even know I was having paroxysmal epidoes of afib for months). Do you live in England? I am wondering about tricuspid repair and the Cox Maize procedure at the same time, but is this possible since I have already had a mitral valve repair? Thank you! Glad you are doing so well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back