Heartburn

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacers74107

ok so I have always had heart burn but recently probably with in the past few months I have it everyday and I do take medicine I was wondering if any of you all have had the same problem with bav and it doesn't matter what I eat or drink like I could drink apple juice or the eat choculate in get I guess my question is or could this be related to bav or no thanks

Hi Pacers - Many years ago I used to get heart burn due to hiatus hernia which gives acid reflux, plus I had a duodenal ulcer. I was given antibiotic treatment treatment for H Pylori and that cured the reflux too, along with cutting right back on sugary foods and reflined carbohydrates. Heart burn isn't related to BAV, afaik. Have a good search on the net, there's lots of information about acid reflux/heart burn and what you can do to help yourself, plus, of course, see your doc and gastroenterologist if necessary.

Pacers - I seem to have added acid reflux to my list of ailments at about the same time as my aortic stenosis worsened. I was told that some meds often prescribed for cardiac issues (IIRC, this includes beta blockers) contribute to or worsen pre-existing acid reflux. Over the years I have tried many prescription and over-the-counter meds for the reflux, but none seem to be a long term solution for me. When mine flares up, I first try Zantac, as it seems to work quickly and is well-tolerated. I also have prescriptions for (and stock of) several other meds (PPI's like omeprazole, pantoprazole, dexilant. . . etc.) that I can cycle through. When all else fails, I get topical relief with the use of Tums.

Ok this is weird but when I thought I was healthy, before bav, I went to Mcdonalds late, next morning woke up with heartburn that didn't go away for days non stop, took antacids different ones, nothing worked. So went to the Dr. So a heart murmur that was never there before. So from 8 months before, no murmur at all to that point, total regurgitation and bav, so now I have a severely calcified tissue valve and found out the end of January, so starting like January 1st, the heart burn was back, really bad heartburn. Don't know why or how it's related but seems to be an indication for me.

alpha 1;n875465 said:
Ok this is weird but when I thought I was healthy, before bav, I went to Mcdonalds late, next morning woke up with heartburn that didn't go away for days non stop, took antacids different ones, nothing worked. So went to the Dr. So a heart murmur that was never there before. So from 8 months before, no murmur at all to that point, total regurgitation and bav, so now I have a severely calcified tissue valve and found out the end of January, so starting like January 1st, the heart burn was back, really bad heartburn. Don't know why or how it's related but seems to be an indication for me.
It was the hamburger.

Are you SURE it is heartburn? If your symptom is pain just below the solar plexus, like you're lying flat on your back on the floor and somebody placed a 16-pound bowling ball on your solar plexus then sat on it. . . it may not be heartburn. That is also one of the cardinal symptoms of gallbladder inflammation. (Ask me how I know. . . )

If that is your symptom, then you could try the ER trick to differentiate between heartburn or ulcer and gallbladder inflammation ONCE THEY HAVE RULED OUT HEART ATTACK. When I was taken to the ER for this pain, they gave me two small bottles of Maalox to drink. They told me that if the Maalox helped, then the cause was related to either heartburn/acid reflux or an ulcer. If it did not help, it was the gallbladder. In either case, the Maalox would cause no harm. (And in my case, at that time, it did not help.)

Whatever you do, before you do any self-diagnosing, be sure you and your doctor rule out any chance that this chest pain is cardiac-related. You don't want to be treating acid reflux only to find out that you've had a heart attack.

Thank you, I need my gall bladder out too, hope it can wait till i get the heart issues taken care of. I read on facebook where someones gall bladder died after they had heart surgery. Wierd

I don't know what impact there would be between heart surgery and gallbladder issues. I still have my gallbladder, even though it flared up some 30+ years ago, and I know I had some small stones in it at that time. As long as nothing blocks the bile duct, it usually isn't a problem, but some foods may irritate it. I was told back in 1984 that I "might" be able to delay the onset of problems by following a low-fat diet, so I have been doing that ever since. The diet probably helps in more ways than one.

Latest posts

Back