Heartbeat visible under skin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamieann

So this is a weird question, but just thought I'd throw it out there. I had my AVR surgery 11 months ago. One of the weird things I notice from time to time (but not always) is that my heartbeat will be visible under my skin. When I'm laying on the couch sometimes my husband will see it in my neck, and this morning I was laying on my back and could see it in my stomach. When I can see my heartbeat I can also feel it if that makes sense. Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

Hi, I can hear and feel mine all the time yet to actually see I have not. Your referring to you pulse correct? Imagination? Perhaps muscle twitches/spasms here n there.?
What exactly do you see on neck and stomach? Like a pulsating movement?

FWIW - I have a visible pulse in my neck and can see my chest pulse in time with my heart beat. I can't 'feel' the beat however, so to speak. I wouldn't imagine it is anything to worry about, but I'm also not a doctor :).

Aetos, I do mean pulse, yes! I had to get up at 3:45am this morning so not so my brain was not fully functioning when I typed this! Ha! yeah I can just see the pulse in time to my heart beating. Skin basically rising and falling but not from breathing.
Anyway, I'm not particularly worried about it, I had an echo and appt with my cardiologist about a month ago and he said everything looks fine but it's just one of those weird things. My valve was very calcified before surgery, so I wonder if it was to do with my more blood flowing throw my body that it didn't have to deal with for the first 28 years.

Interesting indeed. May I ask, how's your blood pressure? You perhaps notice this "pulse" more when your under stress?

My heartbeat is visible under my skin near where the heart is. Is that where it is other than your neck? My heartbeat is also visible on my neck, near my jugular vein (I think it's that) near a thick vein on my neck. When I also exercise, you can see it more, near the heart. I think that's normal :) - We've been cracked opened.

You must be quite lean, no adipose layer between the artery and skin. I'm too fat to see anything going on inside, but I can sense it at anytime. I regularly take my pulse merely by listening.

Yes. I am 16 days post-op, and can see my heartbeat under my left breast, across my sternum, and all the way down to just above my belly button. It's weird, and I thought it was due to me being so thin. But maybe it's just from the surgery? I'm still trying to get used to the increased heart rate and my heart thumping like a kick drum.

Latest posts

Back