Heart valve surgery outside the US.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Ok, trying to come to the realization that heart surgery might be inevitable .
Question: Has anyone traveled outside the US to have surgery done?
This might have to be an option that I'll have to look in to.
I'm a electrician ,and if I'm not working, I have no insurance ...also, after looking at the prices of valve replacement surgery here in the US, With insurance, I'd still be responsible for 20% of the bill which would still be thousands of dollars.
I've spoken with someone in my community who has traveled to India for surgery and has had nothing but good things to say about it.
Also, for a procedure which would cost 80,000.00 here in the US ,can cost as little as 4000.00 in a top rated Heart hospital in India.
It would be great to hear any input on this topic, Thanks

if it was me I'd give it a go. I've been to India for a few reasons (including work) and I reckon that as long as you've got money (and trust me, relative to the general population you sure do) that it would be something I'd investigate if I were not an Australian (where we all get universal health care like this for free).

I'd say also that they can be quite bureaucratic and officious but once you've left to go home you can then spend the rest of your doing it your way.

If you qualify for insurance in the USA I'd get it done there ... (my 2c)

When I had my valve replaced in 1991, the valve cost $8800 (I remember telling people that I could have bought a Hyundai for that much money). I can only imagine what the valve must cost now -- perhaps the surgery in India would be 4K, but the valve should raise the cost considerably.

Guest;n876472 said:
I'm a electrician ,and if I'm not working, I have no insurance ...also, after looking at the prices of valve replacement surgery here in the US, With insurance, I'd still be responsible for 20% of the bill which would still be thousands of dollars.
I've spoken with someone in my community who has traveled to India for surgery and has had nothing but good things to say about it.
Also, for a procedure which would cost 80,000.00 here in the US ,can cost as little as 4000.00 in a top rated Heart hospital in India.

I am from India and had surgery done last year in Medanta Gurgaon by Dr Anil Bhan. He is one of the top valve surgeons in India. Total cost(including ON-X valve's cost) was around 8000 dollars. I would advise you to consider him. Many people from outside India come here for surgery.

Or, you could make your own valve and take it in. I used to be good on the lathe.
You can get good stainless steel hinges at any hardware store

Guest;n876472 said:

I understand your concerns. I had my surgery last year and chose a health plan with a high deductible and a Flexible Spending Account. However, after reaching that deductible all costs were covered. So if you can time your surgery and have such an option available to you this could be cost competitive compared to any surgery done abroad. I certainly appreciated that my hospital was only 10 miles away from where I live and all my family and friends were able to visit me while I stayed 6 days in the hospital.

Christ 20% on you with insurance? Makes me feel lucky as my insurance covered 100%. To this day,2 years later, I still have no idea what my surgery cost. Pell some would say it's not free as it's paid for by tax dollars but I tend to ignore those people. Here in the States we have politicians who complain about the idea of paying for other people's health care but that's what insurance is anyway. People who use it are subsidized by those who don't. Everyone paying homeowners insurance without a claim are paying for the house that burned down but I digress....

Back