Heart measurements (echo results)?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

benisanag

Hey all,

I'm a 21 year old male and new to the boards.

My doc recently ordered an echo on me after an EKG and holter test came up excellent. His concern (and mine too) has been a high resting heart rate every time I come into his office (~90-100 BPM). His suspicion with the echo was that it *might* turn up MVP. It turns out, however, that the echo came up fine as well (no abnormalities).

When I first saw the report, I obviously didn't have anything to compare it to, so I searched the internet and ultimately found this board. After skimming through a few posts, I noticed that most people's LV sizes were typically in the +5.0 cm range, diastolic. My echo, however, reports 4.4 cm, diastolic.

So, I'm just curious: what are some of the measurements (esp. LV) that you guys are getting on your echo reports?

Thanks!

-- Here's my complete report, for reference --------

Aortic Root: 2.8 cm
Aortic Valve: ---
Left Atrium: 3.2 cm
LA/AO Ratio: 1.1
MV: E-F Slope: ---
MV: D-E Amp: ---
EPSS: ---
RT Ventricle: WNL cm
Ventricle Septum (ED: 0.9 cm
Left Ventricle Post Wall (ED): 0.9 cm
Left Ventricle (ED): 4.4 cm
Left Ventricle (ES): 3.1 cm
Left Ventricular Systolic Function...
E.F.: 60%
F.S.: 30%

On my echo report, the range of normal values are given along with my actual measurement. Do you have this on your report?
For example:
The LA dimension has a column for normal, abnormal, and Predicted
Mine was 3.0 and was listed under normal. The predicted measurement was 1.9-4.0cm
You should be able to determine how your numbers compare with predicted values if you have this information on your report.

Hope this helps.
Mary

Normal Values...

Normal Values...

Thanks for your responses. The range of normally acceptable values was given for each measurement in my report and all of my measurements were within these values. I am more interested, however, in what people here (pref. around my age) are *actually* getting because these ranges are simply/broadly for adult patients. Adult can mean anything from an 80-year-old grandmother to a 18-year-old football player, so it would be nice to somehow narrow this huge envelope of acceptable values to some more relevent to me as an individual.

--- Here a copy of the same above report with "normals" in parenthesis -----------

Aortic Root: 2.8 cm (2.0 -- 3.7 cm)
Aortic Valve: --- (1.6 -- 2.6 cm)
Left Atrium: 3.2 cm (1.9 -- 4.0 cm)
LA/AO Ratio: 1.1 (0.87 -- 1.11 cm)
MV: E-F Slope: --- (1 -- 15 cm/sec)
MV: D-E Amp: --- (2.0 -- 3.0 cm)
EPSS: --- (< 6 mm)
RT Ventricle: WNL cm (0.9 -- 2.6 cm)
Ventricle Septum (ED): 0.9 cm (0.8 -- 1.1 cm)
Left Ventricle Post Wall (ED): 0.9 cm (0.8 -- 1.1 cm)
Left Ventricle (ED): 4.4 cm (3.5 -- 5.8 cm)
Left Ventricle (ES): 3.1 cm (3.1 -- 4.6 cm)
Left Ventricular Systolic Function...
E.F.: 60%
F.S.: 30%

Thanks!

Actually, the normal ranges quoted on your echo are "predicted" for your age, sex, and weight they have fed into the computer before your echo.
I compared what my predicted range was to what you posted, and the range is different for several of the readings.

Having said this, I checked the echo report that my son had two years ago when he was 18. He was diagnosed with a bicuspid valve. He weighed about 155 pounds and is 5'9. It was noted that he had a mildly enlarged right atrium.
AoR 3.1
AV opening 2.2
LA/Ao Ratio 0.8
MV Amplitude 2.8
RA 4.5 cm
LVIDd 4.9'
LVIDs 2.9
Ef 72%
IVS thickness 1.1d
LVPW thickness 2.9d
IVS/LVPW ration 1.2

Back