Heart flutters

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

Anyone have heart flutters after aortic valve replacement? Sometimes I can feel my heartbeat and the on X valve itself, but today it’s been mostly flutters on and off. Tomorrow will be my one week anniversary.

Yes blood pressure this morning was 117/74 heart rate was 88. I use a blood pressure cuff daily. Plus according to my Apple Watch my resting heart rate is sitting at 81. Currently @ 9 pm it is 93

Yes blood pressure this morning was 117/74 heart rate was 88. I use a blood pressure cuff daily. Plus according to my Apple Watch my resting heart rate is sitting at 81. Currently @ 9 pm it is 93
But you are not seeing your heart rate jump around or steadily going up, right? I don't mean like yours did from 81 to 93, but more like 81 to 120.

Definitely, and my pulse was much higher than before. All that blood flow and my heart was still pumping hard like it had previously when it had to push that tiny trickle through. Almost a year later it has all calmed way down.

But you are not seeing your heart rate jump around or steadily going up, right? I don't mean like yours did from 81 to 93, but more like 81 to 120.

No there isn’t any jumping around like that. It’s been pretty steady in the upper 80’s to low 90’s

I don't have a good answer. I had TAVR about 4 months ago and every once in a while my heart will start beating real hard - hard enough where I notice it. Usually my heart rate goes up as well. The doctor has prescribed a calcium channel blocker and a beta blocker, but I haven't taken the beta blocker. I can only take the CCB every other day because it was driving my BP too low. I go for weeks at a time with no problems and then it suddenly occurs.

The hard heart beat doesn't last that long, usually minutes and not hours, but it may occur several times in 1 day and then not again for weeks. This may be a long shot, but I think it may be related to something in my diet.

The nurse recommended I go to their office and get an ekg while it was happening. I went to the office and had to wait 3 1/2 hours for the ekg, so that was pretty useless. When I finally had ekg, my heart rate and blood pressure were high, but my heart was not beating hard. At least it showed I didn't have afib. About 3 hours later, my heart rate and BP dropped back to normal without any additional meds.

Just got done with the home nurse check up and she said that flutters were not that in common after avr. Heart was working really hard to push blood through valve before and now has a much easier time. I see surgeon next Wednesday and I’ll ask him. Nurse said heart and lungs sound good.

I've had SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) since a few years before my AVR. I had hoped that my AVR would solve this issue - but it didn't

I still get them. I don't know what, if anything, triggers them. A 24 hour holter monitor showed that I have a few SVTs during the day - sometimes just a few beats. My cardiologist suggested increasing my beta blocker dosage (bisoprolol) on days when this happens.

My SVTs have been scary for a while, but now, I kind of just let them happen. They usually resolve within five minutes or so. If they last longer, I get concerned, but am almost sure that they'll stop and I can get on with my life. (FWIW - when I was in the hospital with a Baker's Cyst in my leg, I had a wireless heart monitor attached. I got an SVT while I was talking to my wife - no big deal - and a nurse came rushing into my room, asking who I was talking to. I asked her why that should matter - and she told me that my heart was racing. I told her that it was no big deal. I get those things. I wasn't upset. This, apparently, was the first time she saw a tachycardia without a real reason.

So - you may have to put up with your tachycardia (if it's like mine). It'll probably last only a few minutes and will stop as suddenly as it started. You'll get used to it -- you may not like it - but you'll get used to riding it out. Beta blockers may help.

Latest posts

Back