Health Insurance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookjp

Just sitting here watching the football game and not to get to off topic but was wondering what it would be like not to have health Insurance and go through this.I had a friend that went to Hurley hospital in Flint,Mi. with a heart attack.He spent a week there and they sent him to McCleren Hospital for by-pass surgery after 5 days they had him prepped for surgery and found out he didn't have insurance.Don't know why it took so long but the Doctor wanted $40,000 up front before he would do the surgery.He ended up getting shipped down to VA hospital in Ann Arbor and a week later had surgery.This is a true story.That could very well be me if G.M. goes belly up.Anyone have any thoughts on this.:

It's really scary stuff. I am a salaried retiree and of course we just got dumped by GM regarding our employee health coverage.
But as things are working out, I know we are still far better off than a lot of people.
Rich

I am retired tool and die tradesman 32 years.I'm in that grey area 56 years old not old enough for medicaid or medicare.I don't know how the young people without healthcare coverage and trying to raise a family are going to do it.With the way healthcare cost are rising it's almost prohibitively expensive to insure a family of 3 or 4.

You'll get healthcare, but like your friend, not necessarily at the hospital or with the doctor of your choice. It is against the law for hospitals to dump patients because of lack of insurance; however, they can transfer them if they are stable. I assume that if they aren't stable, whichever doctor is on call that evening is required to treat them, but I never really thought about it.

Why would any hospital accept the transfer if the patient has no insurance? (Excepting VA, of course.) If the hospital currently holding the patient doesn't want them due to lack of coverage how can they find another to take them?

I am grateful (so far) we have excellent insurance but we all know better than to assume that will always be the case.

Charity hospitals will take them. In Houston that means Ben Taub and LBJ. Nonprofits also do a % of charity care, although they generally get that from the ones that aren't stable. (And don't believe the word "nonprofit" for a moment. They all have cranes working overtime with our falling economy!) The VA here wouldn't take them unless they are a Veteran.

I'm actually kind of surprised that a hospital would transfer someone who needs heart surgery. Even if they are "stable", they're taking a risk of getting fined or sued for dumping.

Thank you, Lisa.
I'm trying to figure out which hospital in Boston would be a 'charity hospital'. I am sure there is one and think I'll research just out of curiousity.

I think they call them safety net hospitals in many places. Boston Medical Center claims to be one, although they are usually public hospitals (tax supported). One sure way to tell is to look for reports of traumatic injuries (gun, car, etc.) in the more dangerous sections of town and see where the injured are taken. For that reason, the emergency rooms at our public hospitals are well guarded. Gangs tend to want to take the fights in with them. Despite that, they often have some of the best trauma care in town.

I'm paying out of pocket for a hospital visit I had that was in the only month I've been uninsured like ever. The total price was 4,100 dollars for a ct, blood work and a bed for about 3 hours. I called billing and bluntly asked them for a break... they mailed me some financial assistance paperwork and I qualified for a 75% discount. Now I'm down to around 1,000 bucks.

I think they call them safety net hospitals in many places. Boston Medical Center claims to be one, although they are usually public hospitals (tax supported). One sure way to tell is to look for reports of traumatic injuries (gun, car, etc.) in the more dangerous sections of town and see where the injured are taken. For that reason, the emergency rooms at our public hospitals are well guarded. Gangs tend to want to take the fights in with them. Despite that, they often have some of the best trauma care in town.

Yes, you're right about Boston Medical Center. Often on the news, we hear the gunshot/accident victims are taken there. Seeing how much trauma they see, I imagine that ER is well qualified and experienced.

Hurley hospital in Flint is the charity hospital.They stabilized the friend of mine and then shipped him to McClearn because Hurley dosen't do heart surgery.If he wasn't a Vet. I don't know what would have happened to him.

I'm paying out of pocket for a hospital visit I had that was in the only month I've been uninsured like ever. The total price was 4,100 dollars for a ct, blood work and a bed for about 3 hours. I called billing and bluntly asked them for a break... they mailed me some financial assistance paperwork and I qualified for a 75% discount. Now I'm down to around 1,000 bucks.

When Justin has his cardiac MRI 2 years ago the hospital wrote the number wrong when they submitted the claim, so it came back he wasn't insuranced. They sent the bill to Justin JUST the MRI alone, not the doc reading it ect was 14 grand. Thank God he has insurance

It is my understanding that ANY Government (read: taxpayer) supported Hospital MUST accept patients with or without insurance.

Anybody know different?

I believe you are correct Al. Since they are supported by taxes, it would make sense that they have to offer "charity" care. Sometimes it's difficult to tell from their websites, though, so you really have to be familiar with the area.

Too bad they aren't all obvious like Charity Hospital in New Orleans, which closed its doors after Hurricane Katrina.

Latest posts

Back