Having surgery today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Ozmercy

Some of you may remember I have been having some nasty gastro-intestinal issues and heart arrythmias for the last 3 months. I finally got a doctor who figured out that I have a hyperparathyroid. The parathyroid puts out a hormone that controls your calcium levels. Mine is putting out to much hormone causing the calcium to leave the bones and enter the blood stream. This has caused a serious case of osteoperosis in the bones, but has also caused a multitude of problems in the rest of me. Too much calcium in the blood stream has caused gastro problems, heart arrythmias, kidney stones, fatigue and sleep issues. This is classic hyperparathyroid, but some of these issues might be from the heart so we will see which symptoms go away after the surgery. I am doing it at Cedars Sinai where my heart team is just in case. It is normally an outpatient thing but they want to keep me over night again because of the heart. I am very hopeful that these problems I have had will digress after surgery. I wil let you know how it turns out. I am allergic to a handful of antibiotics, so please pray that I have no infections. They will give me clindamiacin pre-op.

By the way on top of this L. A. County Fire Department has made an effort to force me into reitrement. Many of you had mentioned that this might happen to me. I am talking with a lawyer and haven't yet decided if I will fight it or not. I have 21 years with the department and had hoped to make it to 25. We will see. Trying not to worry about that and leave it in God's hands.

Sending you prayers and best wishes that all goes well, this is the answer to your health problems and that all works out well with the job. Best to put that aside until you are recovered! Godspeed!

Oz,
I hope you get this all straightened out. Cedars is a great hospital, so I bet they'll fix whatever the matter is.
I'm sorry to hear about the job issue. I hope you can get it resolved and make it to 25.
Please let us know how you're doing.
Mary

I'm hoping the surgery goes well and you have some relief of the symptoms.
I've taken clindamiacin before without a problem.
Focus on yourself for now.....health becomes more important than a job.
I know that sounds crazy, but it's true, things will work out.
My husband was part of a big layoff at Air Canada....these guys all had 25 years and more of service.
Life goes on; hey, we are all survivors :)

I know that you have been having a tough time of it. This is bizarre. Never heard of it so it must be rare. I wish you well.

As to the fire dept, I would go well armed with physician statements as to whether you are able to carry on with your job as a fireman. I hope that you can. That 25 years means a lot when it is your retirement involved.

Blessins and for your surgery: GODSPEED!

Good luck, make sure you get that morphine button and learn how to count real good, i was pressing the thing every 10 minutes on the second!

I mean, a watch would do good, too. :p :p :p

All the best to you! Hope the surgery goes well and is the answer to your problems. Also hope that your job issues get resolved. It is sad that you have to deal with this when you are feeling so badly.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery. I am sorry that during this time you are having to dealing with employment issues.

Hope things went well for you. I wasn't clear though, did they take your thyroid out? Or is there a separate parathyroid they can take out? It must have been a relief for you to find out the cause of the problems anyway. Take care.

Good luck, good luck! I will be thinking of you and wishing all the best.

Please give us a full report when you are feeling up to it.

Best wishes!!

Marguerite

*Good luck with your surgery. I am sorry that you have to deal with employment issues when feeling unwell, and facing surgery. Best Wishes.

GOOD LUCK!

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a SUCCESSFUL surgery :).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Enough is enough, I can't take anymore" ... Alabama ... 'Can't Keep A Good Man Down'

I hope your surgery went well and you are now on the road to recovery.

Latest posts

Back