Having Ozaki Procedure July 10th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddubs

Hey everyone, first off, thanks for this forum as its been a great resource. My history has been tracking my aortic valve (bicuspid) since I was about 16, with my cardiologist predicting about age 35 for replacement. Well I made it to age 37 so he wasn't too far off! I decided I would go to the Cleveland Clinic as there is some peace of mind knowing I'm in the best hands in the country (world?). So after studying up on my options I've settled on having the Ozaki procedure. 21 years ago I was hoping I would have been able to grow a new valve, but the tech seems a little too far out still. I figure the Ozaki is the closest thing as technically, I did grow it! ;). Anyways, Dr. Gosta Petersson will be performing the procedure and his reviews seem excellent, also at the Clinic everyone had the best things to say about him. Trying to put the rest of this in the Lords hands and praying for a speedy recovery. I think the hardest part at this point is dwelling on what exactly the recovery will be like, what to expect, and how do I mentally prepare myself for it. Anyways, looking forward to recovery and, hopefully, being in a better place physically once I'm recovered. Thanks again and I'll do my best to follow up with everyone afterwards!

ddubs;n883951 said:
Hey everyone, first off, thanks for this forum as its been a great resource. My history has been tracking my aortic valve (bicuspid) since I was about 16, with my cardiologist predicting about age 35 for replacement. Well I made it to age 37 so he wasn't too far off! I decided I would go to the Cleveland Clinic as there is some peace of mind knowing I'm in the best hands in the country (world?). So after studying up on my options I've settled on having the Ozaki procedure. 21 years ago I was hoping I would have been able to grow a new valve, but the tech seems a little too far out still. I figure the Ozaki is the closest thing as technically, I did grow it! ;). Anyways, Dr. Gosta Petersson will be performing the procedure and his reviews seem excellent, also at the Clinic everyone had the best things to say about him. Trying to put the rest of this in the Lords hands and praying for a speedy recovery. I think the hardest part at this point is dwelling on what exactly the recovery will be like, what to expect, and how do I mentally prepare myself for it. Anyways, looking forward to recovery and, hopefully, being in a better place physically once I'm recovered. Thanks again and I'll do my best to follow up with everyone afterwards!

as you are BAV, was there any discussion on aorta reinforcement? I had Ross procedure 20 years ago (BAV being cause at that time), and AVR / aneurysm repair 6 months ago. Surg path report on valve indicated it had more years ahead of it, but aneurysm cut short its life. Due to propensity of AA with BAV, is there talk of mitigiting potential redo some years done the line (hopefully not) due to AA?

regardless, for recovery: if having a good day, push yourself gently (if overdo, next days are almost guaranteed to be bad days), if a bad day, keep pushing. Those small steps taken every day add to progress in the longer term - you often can't see it, but its there... stay at least a little active, it takes time to rebuild confidence in what your body can do...
Good luck to you and your surgical team!

Hey there

best wishes for your sugery ...

ddubs;n883951 said:
..., and how do I mentally prepare myself for it. Anyways, looking forward to recovery and, hopefully, being in a better place physically once I'm recovered. Thanks again and I'll do my best to follow up with everyone afterwards!

I think that given your age that recovery will be relatively straight forward as you have youth and strength on your side. I can say that I noted during my 3rd OHS (at 48) how it felt harder than my 2nd (at 28).

If you don't mind me asking, I've been very curious about the Ozaki since I heard about it and I'm wondering where they get the tissue from (as its unclear). Can you perhaps give a bit of background on where the prosthetic valve material came from (from within you).

Best Wishes

DDT77;n883961 said:
as you are BAV, was there any discussion on aorta reinforcement? I had Ross procedure 20 years ago (BAV being cause at that time), and AVR / aneurysm repair 6 months ago. Surg path report on valve indicated it had more years ahead of it, but aneurysm cut short its life. Due to propensity of AA with BAV, is there talk of mitigiting potential redo some years done the line (hopefully not) due to AA?

regardless, for recovery: if having a good day, push yourself gently (if overdo, next days are almost guaranteed to be bad days), if a bad day, keep pushing. Those small steps taken every day add to progress in the longer term - you often can't see it, but its there... stay at least a little active, it takes time to rebuild confidence in what your body can do...
Good luck to you and your surgical team!

I haven't heard them discuss any aorta reinforcement, it's only been talk about the replacement. Thanks for the info on the recovery, def good to keep in mind so I dont push myself into a bad stretch!

pellicle;n883962 said:
Hey there

best wishes for your sugery ...

I think that given your age that recovery will be relatively straight forward as you have youth and strength on your side. I can say that I noted during my 3rd OHS (at 48) how it felt harder than my 2nd (at 28).

If you don't mind me asking, I've been very curious about the Ozaki since I heard about it and I'm wondering where they get the tissue from (as its unclear). Can you perhaps give a bit of background on where the prosthetic valve material came from (from within you).

Best Wishes

Thanks pellicle, the tissue for the Ozaki procedure comes from my pericardium. They take a section and then put it into a tanning solution to strengthen it a bit. Then using tools developed by Dr. Ozaki, create the new cusps for the valve.

Hi
ddubs;n883963 said:
the tissue for the Ozaki procedure comes from my pericardium. They take a section and then put it into a tanning solution to strengthen it a bit. Then using tools developed by Dr. Ozaki, create the new cusps for the valve.

Yes, that's what I expected they would use. What I don't understand from what I've read is how they could harvest that without major surgery..

Best wishes

pellicle;n883966 said:
Hi

Yes, that's what I expected they would use. What I don't understand from what I've read is how they could harvest that without major surgery..

Best wishes

Its major, has to be open heart and generally x-clamp time from what I've read is about 85-100min. Section is replaced with a Goretex liner.

ddubs;n883963 said:
Thanks for the info on the recovery, def good to keep in mind so I dont push myself into a bad stretch!

Also keep in mind that recovery isn't perfectly linear, it's more like two steps forward and one step back. Don't worry if any one day isn't quite as good as the one before. And don't push too hard -- as the cliche says, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

If you're used to being quite healthy, it can be a real shock to find yourself so weak at first. The good news is that you won't stay that way. There was a good thread here recently where people talked about how long it was before they felt "back to normal." In general, most people feel pretty good after a couple of months, but there is a "long tail" of recovery where you keep getting a bit better and a bit better still, until you're completely better and it's all in the rear-view mirror, which is the perspective of most of the people here on the forum.

And if you haven't already read the sticky posts in the Pre-Surgery forum, those are very useful in preparing for the hospital experience.

Hi
ddubs;n883967 said:
Its major, has to be open heart and generally x-clamp time from what I've read is about 85-100min. Section is replaced with a Goretex liner.

thanks for that clarification, that's good to know as I wasn't sure I could see how one could do such a delicate surgery (removal of portions of the pericardium) without it.

For what its worth in my surgery (the 2011 one, as there have been 3) goretex was also placed over the area of the heart that the pericardium was removed from. I understood this was to prevent / reduce "adhesions" (scar tissue growth) which cause the heart (which should be slightly mobile as are all the organs) to grow scar tissue onto the sternum (because both are healing). This makes future surgery safer (because scar tissue makes seeing what your doing impossible for a surgeon).

I would also back up what Zoltania has said and that comment of yours she replied to. Don't push hard, make it a gradual and consitent pressure. Steps forward not strides, and no slips backwards is the best way forward.

Best Wishes for the 10th

:)

Hey all, I made it! The surgeon was actually able to repair the valve so I did not end doing the Ozaki procedure! Now I'm just chillin in my room and recovering. Thanks again for all the support and prayers!

ddubs;n884076 said:
Hey all, I made it! The surgeon was actually able to repair the valve so I did not end doing the Ozaki procedure! Now I'm just chillin in my room and recovering. Thanks again for all the support and prayers!

excellent news ... best wishes for a smooth recovery

Hey everyone, some bad news, it is now my 2nd post-surgery post as the initial valve repair failed and I had to go back in for surgery july 13th. Apparently one of the sutures used to correct my valve in the repair broke free and my regurg went back up to mild/severe. I was a HUGE bummer, but luckily my pericardium was in good shape and I was able to proceed with the Ozaki Procedure. I will create a new post in the recovery area for more of "my recovery" and "how the procedure is treating me" thoughts. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers the members and this forum are a huge blessing!

Latest posts

Back