Have most of you recovered or actually improved since surgery/post op ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds amazing! How old are you?
I am 63 Y/O, just do my cardiac rehab with my Apple Watch and try to close all 3 rings every day. Now still have some minor arthritis that it didnt cure but doing around 10K steps. The heart no longer has a governor on it. My carb is opening and closing like it was intended to do. :)

I had a valve sparing OHS to address a root/ascending aortic aneurysm. That was 8 years ago. I was quite active previously and took it slow during the recovery so I probably didn't get back to where I was for a full year. But I did recover 100%.

Prior to my surgery 11 weeks ago, I was asymptomatic other than 2 bouts of afib. I was fortunate that I didn't have to go through the experience of SOB, fatigue, etc. but can honestly say that I have never felt better. I can do anything I want physically and feel that I am in better overall shape than before. Prior to my surgery I was heavily into lifting weights but didn’t do much cardio. Now, I do a little of both and feel more well-rounded. Every once in a while, I have a worrying thought creep in about my afib returning but I feel I am ready to handle that if it happens. Honestly, the leadup to the surgery was pretty miserable and thoughts of it consumed much of my waking (and non-waking) hours. I’m so glad that part is behind me.
That is great to hear that you are back lifting weights and doing cardio 11 weeks after surgery! At what point did you start lifting weights and how much weight are you pushing around? How hard are you pushing the cardio at this point?
I'm about 10 weeks out from AVR. I've been walking and doing some stationary bike, but last week I started pushing the cardio on Thursday and Friday. I've only done some very light lifting with 10 pound weights, but I'd like to start upping the weight, just want to be really cautious about it.

Post AVR with OHS in May of 2013. I now can walk 10,000 steps per day. I feel much better than before surgery.
That is great to hear and keep up the steps! I have always been into running and hard cardio, but since my diagnosis in July 2019, I have gained a new appreciation for walking. It is really fun and easy to track it too with all the various phone apps. I have a friendly competition with my brother and father and we screen shot each other daily with our number of steps. More encouragement than competition, but to motivate them I do try to tease them a little that I am blowing them away in steps just 10 weeks out from AVR surgery. 🤣 It actually works, because they have both upped their steps significantly.

There is good data regarding the health benefits of walking. This study looked at postal workers in Scotland, comparing sedentary workers to those who delivered the mail. Those who delivered the mail averaged about 15,000 steps per day and had significantly better lipid and health markers compared to those postal workers who worked in the office all day.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28138134/
Here is another interesting study which found that doing 8,000 steps per day drastically reduced the risk of all cause mortality, compared to those who took less than 4,000 steps per day. But, the folks who took 12,000+ steps per day had even lower mortality rates.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/number-steps-day-more-important-step-intensity

That is great to hear that you are back lifting weights and doing cardio 11 weeks after surgery! At what point did you start lifting weights and how much weight are you pushing around? How hard are you pushing the cardio at this point?

Hi Chuck,
Bear in mind that I had a minimally invasive surgery. I got clearance to resume weight training after my one month follow up. I’ve taken things conservatively and started with the empty bar (45 lbs) and have added 5 or 10 lbs. per week. Currently I’m at 195 for the bench press, 145 for overhead presses, 235 for dead lifts, and 205 for squats. I can’t express how good it feels to get back into the routine. Prior to my diagnosis, weight training was my primary exercise mode. Now I lift 3 times per week and indoor row 3 times per week. My approach to rowing has followed the same path as my weight training with gradual, linear increases. Today I finished a 7500 meter session and felt great. I’ve seen a dramatic improvement in my aerobic fitness. I’ve consulted with my surgeon, cardio, and primary several times for assurance that I’m taking a prudent approach.

Hi Chuck,
Bear in mind that I had a minimally invasive surgery. I got clearance to resume weight training after my one month follow up. I’ve taken things conservatively and started with the empty bar (45 lbs) and have added 5 or 10 lbs. per week. Currently I’m at 195 for the bench press, 145 for overhead presses, 235 for dead lifts, and 205 for squats. I can’t express how good it feels to get back into the routine. Prior to my diagnosis, weight training was my primary exercise mode. Now I lift 3 times per week and indoor row 3 times per week. My approach to rowing has followed the same path as my weight training with gradual, linear increases. Today I finished a 7500 meter session and felt great. I’ve seen a dramatic improvement in my aerobic fitness. I’ve consulted with my surgeon, cardio, and primary several times for assurance that I’m taking a prudent approach.
Great work man !

That is great to hear and keep up the steps! I have always been into running and hard cardio, but since my diagnosis in July 2019, I have gained a new appreciation for walking. It is really fun and easy to track it too with all the various phone apps. I have a friendly competition with my brother and father and we screen shot each other daily with our number of steps. More encouragement than competition, but to motivate them I do try to tease them a little that I am blowing them away in steps just 10 weeks out from AVR surgery. 🤣 It actually works, because they have both upped their steps significantly.

There is good data regarding the health benefits of walking. This study looked at postal workers in Scotland, comparing sedentary workers to those who delivered the mail. Those who delivered the mail averaged about 15,000 steps per day and had significantly better lipid and health markers compared to those postal workers who worked in the office all day.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28138134/
Here is another interesting study which found that doing 8,000 steps per day drastically reduced the risk of all cause mortality, compared to those who took less than 4,000 steps per day. But, the folks who took 12,000+ steps per day had even lower mortality rates.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/number-steps-day-more-important-step-intensity
Chuck--my goal is 8700 steps a day..I never measured steps until I go to Asia in 2017 where I don't have a car so I walk more....We are having a 3rd wave so I workout at home...Glad to hear on the 8000 lowering cardiac risk and alll cause mortality..My concern is I may be developing arthritis in my feet sadly as well as my hands

I have
Bummer man. Well, there is always biking. Probably not as hard on the feet.
I have arthritis in my hands and bad balance so biking is out as well. I stopped running and biking in 1996 due to inner ear issues..And I've had carpal tunnel and arthritis in my hands since my 30's which is why I can't do jobs that require a lot of use of my hands.. Make sense ? hence my depression...I am losing my hearing as well

My concern is I may be developing arthritis in my feet sadly as well as my hands

As a Plantar Fasciitis sufferer, consider the possibility of this condition vs arthritis. First hand experience. Oofos sandals all day every day around the house or yard. When wearing shoes, good orthotics from a running store. Not Dr Scholls. I think the brand is Pro-Form. It’s an orange shoe insert. Saved my feet. Another therapy is to roll a tennis ball or something under foot when sitting at a desk.

As a Plantar Fasciitis sufferer, consider the possibility of this condition vs arthritis. First hand experience. Oofos sandals all day every day around the house or yard. When wearing shoes, good orthotics from a running store. Not Dr Scholls. I think the brand is Pro-Form. It’s an orange shoe insert. Saved my feet. Another therapy is to roll a tennis ball or something under foot when sitting at a desk.
I know PF it ain't that sadly

I had some weird symptoms after my last OHS FOR AVR I don't. know if they hit a nerve or what I just have this painful weird symptoms that I have to live with and co op with for the rest of my life,.. other than that everything else is fine .. P.S I had CHD and this was my 3rd OHS

Back