Have most of you recovered or actually improved since surgery/post op ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would be amazing to share successes of those brave souls who have gone through actual valve or cardiac surgery

I'd like to think most of us have or will recover to our post op selves...Some have shared that they even feel better with a new valve

I would think in ALL cases there has to be some pre op anxiety and some post op anxiety, pain, PTSD, loss, depression, fear, pain, anger, and discomfort but I am hoping most of you have recovery that equals or exceeds your pre op self.

I don't think my comment is going to help much in that I did not experience any great emotions due to heart surgery, either before or after. I had a sudden onset of shortness of breath, such that I could only walk 300m or less before needing to rest. After some months of living with it, going through tests, the diagnosis was severe aortic stenosis, and that I would die within 2 years if it wasn't addressed. Quality of life was poor by then, because of the SOB, so whilst I provided information for my brother to be able to access my online contact database etc if needed, it was simply something that needed to be done.

I was also lucky that my employer was incredibly supportive, and I remained on full pay throughout several months of recovery. I think it took about 3 or 4 months to return to the office, and I was able to work from home, gradually building up to that. So again I was fortunate that the physical restrictions during recovery were not an issue.

I was in hospital a total of 25 days, and ended up with a pacemaker due to surgical complication, so it wasn't an easy ride in that sense. But I just saw it as a [major!] bump in the road of life.

This September will mark 8 years since my surgery, and at some point next year I expect to need a replacement pacemaker, but life goes on much as before surgery.

LondonAndy, thanks for sharing that. I too had a complication from surgery resulting in a permanent pacemaker seven weeks ago. There aren’t that many of us who have had this complication and it is great to here that 8 years later life goes on as before. Have you had any issues with the Pacer? Has it limited you in any major way? I have 3rd degree heart block, and a dual lead pacer. Despite the fact that I really don’t notice it on a day to day basis, it still causes me some concern. Mostly, I would say, just anxiety about needing it permanently and being dependent on it. It is working fine at this point, and really not limiting me, however if there is anything you can add about your Pacer journey I would appreciate it. Still working through the ”acceptance” piece with respect to the pacer, and I find the experiences others share on this board very helpful.

Hi Lynn, and welcome! As somebody who did not have any heart electrical issues at all before surgery, I didn't notice any difference in my physical abilities after getting the device. In fact it was four months before I even thought to research what did I need to know about pacemakers*, the valve replacement having been the 'main event'. I do, however, notice a significantly increased heart rate when I go over particularly rickety tracks at speed on the London Undergound**, or when I am hammering or something, as the 'rate response' gets confused with all the movement. But I only l notice this because if I focus I can hear the mechanical valve ticking away rapidly - I don't experience any physical impact.

I am probably lucky in that I am a gadget person: even an electrical test engineer, conducting a routine safety test on my house's electrics recently, commented about how many multiblock extension leads I have to run everything! This means that I am not worried about being dependent on an electronic device. At my first pacemaker check-up I asked the technician how I would know if the battery was running low (not that I expect it to get that far - the annual check-ups increase in frequency as you get closer to the expected need to replace it). He kindly set it into this mode and told me to walk down the corridor to see. My heart just felt heavy, as all the advanced functions had been turned off and it was just set in a basic mode to maintain the same rate all the time.

I have developed some A-Fib, which is annoying, and does now reduce my energy levels. This can be caused by the heart surgery, the pacemaker, and being overweight, so having all three there's not much I can moan about now. The Cardiologist and the Pacemaker guys don't seem that concerned, and after a long, stressful period of intense work I am hoping to lose some weight now and see if that helps.

Although I always carry my Pacemaker ID card when I fly, I have never had to show it, and just go through the security arch like everyone else. No ill effects on me, though I do occasionally trigger the sensors but whether that is the pacemaker or something else is not clear.

Finally, for me the scars of both the OHS and pacemaker surgery were a regular reminder of what I had been through, and so once the skin had sealed (6 weeks-ish afterwards) I rubbed Bio Oil into them on a daily basis for a good few months. The pacemaker scar is almost invisible, and the 8" chest incision not far behind.

* Pacemaker Club is a useful site, if you haven't found it yet
** The northern end of the Piccadilly Line, a service that runs with trains that are over 40 years old in tunnels built 115 years ago, is the culprit - but quite fun too!

I am 68 days postop from AVR. Back to work about 3 weeks ago. Walking 3 miles a day feel 10 years younger. Surgeon says it should improve over next 4 months. Energy level is great. No rhythm problems. Surgeon tied off left atrial appendage to prevent any a fib and so far in sinus rhythm. Glad I did it so far.

Thanks LondonAndy, great to here your experience and perspective. The travel security issue is good to know, I have had some concerns around that. I really haven’t noticed much of a difference with the pacemaker in how my heart beats, I do hear the valve though (doesn‘t bother me much) I feel pretty good for 7 week post valve and 6 week post pacemaker so likely I just need to relax and trust the little device to do it’s job. It is obviously more reliable than my own 58 year old heart lol.

On the positive side, post surgery I am certainly enjoying my exercise again, no more tired legs or weird shortness of breath. Another interesting positive note is that my hair and nails are growing like crazy. I am also sleeping better than pre surgery.

I felt TONS better after AVR/mechanical ATS valve replacement of a severely leaky valve. I was very active before the replacement but had started being out of breath walking up stairs and didn't realize how the leaky valve had been slowly degrading my energy and endurance until it was replaced. I felt better literally when I woke up from surgery. An unexpected side benefit was that I am now able to wake up in the morning and start my day like a 'normal' person. I had always been extremely sluggish and fatigued in the morning and thought I just wasn't a morning person lol!

I don't think my comment is going to help much in that I did not experience any great emotions due to heart surgery, either before or after. I had a sudden onset of shortness of breath, such that I could only walk 300m or less before needing to rest. After some months of living with it, going through tests, the diagnosis was severe aortic stenosis, and that I would die within 2 years if it wasn't addressed. Quality of life was poor by then, because of the SOB, so whilst I provided information for my brother to be able to access my online contact database etc if needed, it was simply something that needed to be done.

I was also lucky that my employer was incredibly supportive, and I remained on full pay throughout several months of recovery. I think it took about 3 or 4 months to return to the office, and I was able to work from home, gradually building up to that. So again I was fortunate that the physical restrictions during recovery were not an issue.

I was in hospital a total of 25 days, and ended up with a pacemaker due to surgical complication, so it wasn't an easy ride in that sense. But I just saw it as a [major!] bump in the road of life.

This September will mark 8 years since my surgery, and at some point next year I expect to need a replacement pacemaker, but life goes on much as before surgery.
Glad you had a job and insurance..I lack both..Sorry to hear 25 days in the hospital and a pacemaker..How is the valve doing ? Pacemaker ?

I felt TONS better after AVR/mechanical ATS valve replacement of a severely leaky valve. I was very active before the replacement but had started being out of breath walking up stairs and didn't realize how the leaky valve had been slowly degrading my energy and endurance until it was replaced. I felt better literally when I woke up from surgery. An unexpected side benefit was that I am now able to wake up in the morning and start my day like a 'normal' person. I had always been extremely sluggish and fatigued in the morning and thought I just wasn't a morning person lol!
Wow amazing news..Glad to hear !

Prior to my surgery 11 weeks ago, I was asymptomatic other than 2 bouts of afib. I was fortunate that I didn't have to go through the experience of SOB, fatigue, etc. but can honestly say that I have never felt better. I can do anything I want physically and feel that I am in better overall shape than before. Prior to my surgery I was heavily into lifting weights but didn’t do much cardio. Now, I do a little of both and feel more well-rounded. Every once in a while, I have a worrying thought creep in about my afib returning but I feel I am ready to handle that if it happens. Honestly, the leadup to the surgery was pretty miserable and thoughts of it consumed much of my waking (and non-waking) hours. I’m so glad that part is behind me.

Post AVR with OHS in May of 2013. I now can walk 10,000 steps per day. I feel much better than before surgery. I did recently find out that my mitro valve is now showing minor stenosis.
How long post op to be normal..I am pre op do maybe 7000 a day but that's partly cuz I got no car

Prior to my surgery 11 weeks ago, I was asymptomatic other than 2 bouts of afib. I was fortunate that I didn't have to go through the experience of SOB, fatigue, etc. but can honestly say that I have never felt better. I can do anything I want physically and feel that I am in better overall shape than before. Prior to my surgery I was heavily into lifting weights but didn’t do much cardio. Now, I do a little of both and feel more well-rounded. Every once in a while, I have a worrying thought creep in about my afib returning but I feel I am ready to handle that if it happens. Honestly, the leadup to the surgery was pretty miserable and thoughts of it consumed much of my waking (and non-waking) hours. I’m so glad that part is behind me.
Thanks for sharing and totally get especially pre op jitters..SOB ?)

Andy is/was it hard to lose a body part/a valve ? Hard for your mind/heart/body to accept a new valve ? I've struggled for a few days after losing teeth or getting crowns but this is nothing compared to losing and replacing part of your heart. Thank you sir

Last edited:
There is obviously a period of physical recovery, but as I said in my main reply above (Thursday 6.01pm UK time) I did not have any emotional issues. The period before a big event like heart surgery is, I think, the worst time. You are worrying about the unknown, and this is natural. I feel confident that afterwards you will look back at this time and think you were worrying too much. I suspect nothing that those of us who have been through it can say anything to dispel these fears, and I wish you well for when the day of surgery comes.

I think that the amount you can realistically expect to recover largely depends on what your condition was. From my side, after having spent 6 months in a. downward spiral until the Endocarditis was properly diagnosed, I had been coughing like a chump for months on end. By the time of my emergency op, I was exhausted and close to death.

Subsequent to a double valve replacement, the coughing caused an Inguinal Hernia. The Endocarditis has left me with Heart Failure and a Pleural Effusion, leaving me very breathless and weak.

But you know what??

I AM ALIVE !!!

And as hard as that might be sometimes to keep at the forefront of my mind, its better than the other option....

I am 68 days postop from AVR. Back to work about 3 weeks ago. Walking 3 miles a day feel 10 years younger. Surgeon says it should improve over next 4 months. Energy level is great. No rhythm problems. Surgeon tied off left atrial appendage to prevent any a fib and so far in sinus rhythm. Glad I did it so far.
That sounds amazing! How old are you?

I think that the amount you can realistically expect to recover largely depends on what your condition was. From my side, after having spent 6 months in a. downward spiral until the Endocarditis was properly diagnosed, I had been coughing like a chump for months on end. By the time of my emergency op, I was exhausted and close to death.

Subsequent to a double valve replacement, the coughing caused an Inguinal Hernia. The Endocarditis has left me with Heart Failure and a Pleural Effusion, leaving me very breathless and weak.

But you know what??

I AM ALIVE !!!

And as hard as that might be sometimes to keep at the forefront of my mind, its better than the other option....
You are a rockstar--how can we support you God bless you glad you are alive !

Latest posts

Back