Has anyone read any good books lately??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dennis, for your wonderful recommendations! I am happy that this thread is a postive one, and everyone that has the inclination, will get a chance to contribute. Reading a good book can enrich ones life in so many ways!

I'm almost finished with "True Blue" by David Baldacci. Here's what the inside of the jacket says: "A mysterious high-profile homicide in the nation's capital collides with the dark side of national security in David Baldacci's new, heart-stopping thriller." No kidding. I've read so much so fast that my eyeballs are burning.

Another of my favorite authors is David Roberts. Roberts developed a deep love for climbing while a student at Harvard, and became a world class climber. He can put you on some of those high, dangerous, mountain ledges and for a moment make you understand why he and his companions were willing to risk everything to get to that place. As he grew older, Roberts fell in love with the remote canyons and the great unsolved mysteries of the Southwest. No individual created these mysteries-they have been played out in real time, sometimes more than a thousand years ago. In 1680 something amazing and unprecedented happened in the Southwest. Few know this, but the Pueblos of the Southwest accomplished something unique in the troubled history between the Europeans and the Native Americans. A united group of Pueblo warriors fought for their freedom as virtual slaves and drove, the Spaniards from their ancient homelands. For the next 12 years Pueblo life returned to the way it was before the Spanish invasion. This is the one and only time that the European conquerors were driven from Indian land. Some mysteries have been solved, e.g. the great importance of a knotted cord in the ability of Pueblo warriors across the Southwest to start their battle for freedom with precision timing. Another fascinating (but easily solved) mystery is why the over sized bronze statute of New Mexico was discovered to have found his right foot sawed off in the middle of the night hundreds of years after the revolt. This was not the work of senseless vandals. In fact, at least one senior employee at the small museum where the statute now remains shared with me (over in a quiet corner) his great disappointment that the statute was repaired. All of these historical mysteries-some solved, and many not resolved, are waiting for you in the book "The Pueblo Revolt" by David Roberts.

Before this thread runs it's course, I wonder if it's OK to branch off slightly to the topic of ebooks and ebook readers? The biggest problem I have with books is there are just way too many of them laying around the house. I love my old books, and love to have them accessible. I normally don't read them more than once, but I often want to refer back to something that I know was covered in some powerful way in books I had previously read. But that is a problem because Mrs. Smith correctly maintains that any given space can only be filled with so many books-and I have clearly reached, and long ago exceeded that limit.

Well, I have a new iPad, and am loving it. No more books laying around the house in offensive piles. In addition, if I find an interesting new word I tap it for a dictionary definition, highlight it for future study, or even write my own notes in the margin. I can even cut and paste portions of my books to include in emails, papers, etc..I am so in love with avoiding the mess, and weight of the physical books , as well as all these new abilities. I am buying some of my old favorites, and giving away the physical copies to friends. The next time I am in an airport or waiting room I will have hundreds of books to choose from, but carrying only the iPad, whose weight is negligible. I think it is a great boon for avid readers.

But wait, there's more!

But wait, there's more!

I forgot one of the most important advantages. If you love to read in bed once in a while (and share that bed with one whose rest and good will is important to you)...you can dial the brightness way down and read with no night light, no rustling of pages, and no problem.

You know, Dennis, I have been tempted to buy an iPad but haven't as yet.

Not long ago, a young man was demonstrating an iPad at our Barnes & Noble store and it sure did sound fascinating. I didn't ask him though, if one had access to the hottest sellers or most recently published books? And too, I always wait until the book I want comes out in paperback because the hard copy is so darn expensive!

Most of my books don't accumulate because we have a little book trading store in town & when you finish one, you take it there and trade it in for another.

And too, in the past, I've taken my share of books to the local hospitals and nursing homes. So I don't have an over abundance of them lying around and I know they are very much appreciated there! :)

Glad you are enjoying your iPad! :thumbup:

Dennis, the iPad sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately, I am not very computer advanced. I think maybe I should check into it though. I am an avid bedtime reader.

As far as my book collection, the only books I keep are hard cover art books, history, reference ect. I have a place for them in my antique book cases. Antiques being another interest of mine. I totally agree though, it get's to the point where you must do something with the excess!

Norma, that sounds like an excellent idea too! I have done that with magazines in the past .

Kathy--We have the same system. But, pretty much all of my books are some type of history or reference books. As far as the ipad is concerned, I hope you get a chance to try one. You need to set up an account, which is actually pretty easy, but they could probably help you at the store if you went at an off time. After that, it is pretty much a case of touching the picture of the book you want to read. By the way, there are thousands of free, great, books.

You know Kathy, its funny, but I have never been a big reader except for V.C. Andrews, Stephen King and Biographies, and I am thinking that part of the reason is that I don't have the space for a bunch of books....HOWEVER, I was thinking about looking into getting a Kendle as they can hold something like 3500 books and then I think I would do more reading....

get one, Harry. My children gave me the first edition for my birthday when it first came out. I love it. The prices are decent, many lower priced, many even free. I have read it every afternoon and when I go to bed. You will love it, too. I recommend it to all. You can read about a chapter from anything for free, to see it you will like it - before you decide to buy it. Buying is a whiz - just one click and they send it via whispernet (Amazon's own). Kindle is their biggest seller on their whole site.

Dennis' recommendation is good, too. kindle has come out with one similar that is $138. I think this is the way things of the future will go. Whichever one you get, you will just love it, I betcha.

Kathy, I enjoy reading, too, and lean towards mysteries, thrillers, and detective stories plus stories written by women that keep their detective from book to book and is funny, but also has a myster. You could look into Elaine Viets. And the southern sisters mysteries. Hilarious. Enjoy whatever you choose.

One of my most favorite authors began to use filler material, such as what the person wore - right down to the buttons, the color of the sky, and what kind of carpet was on the floor. To me, that's wasting my $ and taking away from the story, so I have had to give him up. So sad that they do this if it has nothing to do with the story.

books

books

hi there.i have just discovered the poetry of american poet BILLY COLLINS.fantastic
I love all the books of the irish writer jennifer johnston.also most of anne tyler s books..
donna

Tomorrow Jon Stewart's book "Earth; A visitors guide to humans." comes out. Should be funny

Back