Has anyone developed hiatal hernia after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

arlice

My husband, Bob, had a St. Jude mitral valve replacement in April of 1993. After awhile he started have GERD and hiatal hernia symptoms. He has wondered if the insertion of the drain tubes they put in might have caused it. Has anyone else developed such symptoms after surgery?

He had laparoscopic surgery to repair it in 1995 but that surgeon nicked an artery in the process and he nearly bled to death since he was on coumadin. When he collapsed in the bathroom, I thought it was a blood clot on his valve so told the EMT's I thought it could be that. He was taken to the nearest hospital. I called his cardiologist there to let him know. He took over in the ER (somewhat to the dismay of the ER doctor). He insisted that he be flown to the hospital where he had his valve replaced and they had to do surgery to repair that leak. He now has a scar that goes from his upper sternum to just about as far as they could go down.

That's just a little story about him but what I really want to know is if any of you have had this only after surgery.

Arlice

Back