Hard data on life expectancy after an Aortic Valve Replacement in 60 year old

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agian;n880871 said:
Agreed Superman, but most people that need AVR don't have bicuspid. Poor lifestyle does indeed complicate things.
Most CAD risk factors are 'modifiable'. He did say "... not all people but enough to skew the results towards the negative." That's actually true.

Agian... I realize that this doesn’t entirely discount your point here, and that I really shouldn’t have to explain this to you because you must understand it, but recent findings have very, very strongly implicated high Lp(a) as a causal factor for the development and accelerated progression of calcific AVS in otherwise normal people. The fact that high Lp(a) is also associated/causative of other heart issues such as CAD strengthens your argument, but this too is maybe less of a “lifestyle” issue and more of a genetic one.

Is lifestyle a factor? Absolutely! But genetically high Lp(a) can kick lifestyle outcomes from getting diagnosed with heart disease in your 60s to getting diagnosed with AVS and CAD in your early 40s. Big difference there.

Nocturne;n880878 said:
Your response here is a wonderful, crystal clear example of how this topic of discussion sets off some of the regulars in this forum. There’s typically a “first wave” of positive responses, but woe betide the person who scratches the surface and comes back with skepticism.

But credit where it is due - you DID give him a few real studies with positive findings.

As for the the study I posted that you liked, I have posted it here several times in the past. You may not have noticed the first time because you were in a snarl about the topic of discussion.

its certainly a topic that people seem to use to incite conflict

Happy rainbows , and merry xmas

Nocturne;n880877 said:
After a certain age, I’d imagine it’s no great trick to stop worrying that you’ll die young. No offense. :)

No offense taken. Yep, you're correct.....it's no big deal to accept mortality when you get "old"......and I've gotten "old" ONLY because I was give a second chance, thru surgery, to reach my golden years. As the old saying goes.....do as I say, not as I do....the glass is half full or half empty, take your pick.....we where dealt a life lemon so make lemonade, etc.......etc......etc. :):)

Nocturne;n880879 said:
Is lifestyle a factor? Absolutely! But genetically high Lp(a) can kick lifestyle outcomes from getting diagnosed with heart disease in your 60s to getting diagnosed with AVS and CAD in your early 40s. Big difference there.

Again, it's genetics. Although not BAV genetics, it's still something that leads to early calcification of the valve. However, it's not something where if only had developed this habit, or didn't develop that habit - then you never would need your valve replaced.

Arteries clogged, heart attacks, etc - those, while part genetic (some are predisposed to high cholesterol), are certainly influenced by diet and exercise. But valve deterioration? Am I wrong in viewing the valve itself as primarily benign tissue? Something that's just along for the ride - so to speak?

Lifestyle may create comorbidities, but will it make the actual valve deteriorate faster or last longer? I do question whether valve patients have worse lifestyles on average than the general population. That's the way I read the statement.

I grew up with this stuff, and was, perhaps, more sedentary than my peers. But given the circumstances, I ate a healthy diet, was a healthy weight, and spent a lot of time playing outside. I just avoided competitive stuff and high intensity training. That said, my being sedentary wasn't a lifestyle choice that led to a valve issue. It was a valve issue that didn't give me much choice over my lifestyle.

I don't know - maybe I'm splitting hairs here.

For the other topic being discussed in this thread. I'm 45. Pretty much all the males in my family and extended family lived to right around 80 +/-. It is weird to think that I'm over half way there. My concern isn't that my heart will give out faster than them. My concern is the extent of my congenital defect. That the connective tissue disorder is more systemic than just the aneurysm I've already had fixed. Do I have to worry about an aneurysm developing further down the aorta (abdominal), since the tissue above is strong now? Do I have to worry about a potential brain aneurysm? I have read that it is more likely than the general population. I take solace in the fact that I have found a cardiologist that specializes in adults with congenital heart defects, and not just the usual coronary artery disease and other age related heart issues. Together, we'll monitor things and I'll continue doing what I can to stay healthy.

This is something i also wonder about, Avr aged 44 now i'm 51.
I used to think i would certainly die young mainly because of the warfarin but since ive joined the forum
my target age has increased in my mind after reading more information.
Lifestyle changes & choices coupled with new information has made me feel that maybe i can make 80 ish ?
i would be happy with that, maybe i'm naive but that's my thinking.
Keep learning and adjusting is my plan so i'm sticking with that

Superman;n880897 said:
Do I have to worry about an aneurysm developing further down the aorta (abdominal), since the tissue above is strong now? Do I have to worry about a potential brain aneurysm? I have read that it is more likely than the general population.

Never thought about those issues, lol, i've a lot to learn

Agian;n880903 said:
Noc, Lp(a) is indeed a difficult risk factor to contain.

Less difficult if you happen to live in certain nations. Hell, in Germany I'd qualify for apheresis treatments, which would go a long way towards dealing with the problem! But here in the USA, we believe in the power of prayer...

Full dfisclosure, I am the "Guest" who made the original post.

Thanks so much for all the excellent responses I got to this question!!! I think this social media thing is gonna catch on!!!

Seriously... It's much appreciated. I have not yet had time to go each and every study, and I don't necessarily agree with all of the comments, but just having people in similar situations to talk to is hugely comforting, in some strange way. Awesome.

dick0236, your "the older you get, the older you're gonna get" is a pure classic... Loved it.

Oh, and for those who brought it up, I am not obese. I am 5'7" 170 lbs, don't smoke, don't drink (although I did till about a year ago... Nothing too radical), and I have led, and continue to lead a reasonably healthy lifestyle, with at least a little exercise at least 2-3 times per week. Even at the beginning of 2017, I was still able to do 80 pushups (on a good day), but I now don't come close to having any good days, alas... I'm hoping that after the surgery and recovery, that I can get back to that...

My diagnosis: Congenital BAV plus ascending aorta 4-6 to 4.8cm... Both scheduled for repair March/April 2018 timeframe.

So thanks again, and good luck to all of you...

Hi and Merry Christmas

Scumpy;n880919 said:
Oh, and for those who brought it up, I am not obese. I am 5'7" 170 lbs, don't smoke, don't drink (although I did till about a year ago... Nothing too radical), and I have led, and continue to lead a reasonably healthy lifestyle, with at least a little exercise at least 2-3 times per week. Even at the beginning of 2017, I was still able to do 80 pushups (on a good day), but I now don't come close to having any good days, alas...

that was probably me ... and your reported situation is excellent. I'd say that from what I know you'll probably be living quite well ... as Agian said, if two or three dies in a cohort it reflects on bringing down the "average" ... if you aren't "Average" then you're probably going to do just fine I'd say

80 pushups in a set is good ! I doubt Nocturne with his moaning about stuff can come anywhere near that.

I think this social media thing is gonna catch on!!!

technically social media is Facebook and Twitter, which is killing stuff like this site ... which is a "forum".

I'd say "chat here" as much as you can to ask the questions you need. But the bottom line is that "life really is what you make of it" and starting back in the late 60's as a child who wasn't likely to live past his teens I've made it to 54. You can find my posts here and sus out what sort of person I am and how I live my life.

I'm about to leave this and head for the dark and snow of Finland:
39272278511_c854bdd2d0.jpg

Good luck with the repair and arch, myself (knowing what I know now) I'd be leaning towards asking the question of my surgeon "why not fix the aortic aneurysm and valve at the same time "

... I see you are in IT too

Best Wishes

pellicle;n880921 said:
80 pushups in a set is good ! I doubt Nocturne with his moaning about stuff can come anywhere near that.

Coincidentally, I am also 5'7", I weigh 165 pounds, and I exercise about 45 minutes every day. Don't smoke, drink a glass of red wine a day for health reasons, and rarely eat red meat or refined grains. Haven't touched fast food in over two years.

As for your comment, and its implications, I will say that I am surprised at you. That was pretty low.

Nocturne;n880923 said:
That was pretty low.

So was all your preceding stuff including your offensive remarks at Dick

Nocturne;n880877 said:
Dick, I have been meaning to ask — when DID you stop dwelling on life expectancy?

After a certain age, I’d imagine it’s no great trick to stop worrying that you’ll die young. No offense. :)

Myself I thought that was quite impertinent and disrespectful. Dick just happens to be a Gentleman and takes this sort of stuff well.

Perhaps if you took a leaf out of his book you could take a bit of gentle ribbing too. Can you do 80 pushups? Myself I top out at 30 ... I could totally lose 5 or 8Kg if only I wasn't fond of my beers in the after noons ... lighten up! Have some of those Happy Rainbows you accused people of blowing up your arse when you were the sole negative voice in a thread about mortality

171218-urine-full.jpg

As per your usual inability to see the obvious (try looking at some of the other replies to you in just this thread) there is nothing wrong with this discussion and all the answers have been thoughtful

Dick is his own man and I trust very much that if he'd taken offense, he would have let me know. Since he specifically said he did NOT take offense, I'm going to take his word on that. Why can't you?

Oh, right. Because you are scrounging around for an excuse to be rude.

Scumpy;n880919 said:

Thanks so much for all the excellent responses I got to this question!!! I think this social media thing is gonna catch on!!!

Seriously... It's much appreciated. I have not yet had time to go each and every study, and I don't necessarily agree with all of the comments, but just having people in similar situations to talk to is hugely comforting, in some strange way. Awesome.

dick0236, your "the older you get, the older you're gonna get" is a pure classic... Loved it.

Oh, and for those who brought it up, I am not obese. I am 5'7" 170 lbs, don't smoke, don't drink (although I did till about a year ago... Nothing too radical), and I have led, and continue to lead a reasonably healthy lifestyle, with at least a little exercise at least 2-3 times per week. Even at the beginning of 2017, I was still able to do 80 pushups (on a good day), but I now don't come close to having any good days, alas... I'm hoping that after the surgery and recovery, that I can get back to that...

My diagnosis: Congenital BAV plus ascending aorta 4-6 to 4.8cm... Both scheduled for repair March/April 2018 timeframe.

So thanks again, and good luck to all of you...

Is the plan to repair the valve and do the aorta at the same time? That's what I had done back in February 2015. I only had a bit of leakage ( none post surgery or a year later, heading in to get scanned again in a couple months so fingers crossed) but my aneurysm was estimated to be 4.7 or 4.8cm . Post surgery report said it was actually 4.99. I had the root, ascending and hemi arch replaced. I'm no expert but any questions you might have I'll do my best.

I am confused about guest, he begins the subject and never comes back. As to answer his question, I agree with most, It is your lifestyle that dictates how long your live, w/wo side health issues shortening it. Just live, do not worry about how long you got, God is the only one who knows how long you have on this planet earth. I just happy to wake up everyday. Hugs for everyone. :)

Latest posts

Back