Had my yearly echo done...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nocturne

I have not seen all the numbers yet but I did learn that my VMax went from a 2.4 to an average of 2.3. If that keeps up, I'll never need surgery! :^)

I'm calling it good news.

Asked Tech to see if he thought my aortic valve was bicuspid or not and got a lot of confused waffling. My chart said Bicuspid, but I know that was what my cardio doc wrote in there mostly because of my age -- I'd been previously told my valve was normal. Got the same thing as last time, mostly - lots of scrunching and peering and "Hmm..."ing. At first he was sure it was a normal valve, then he saw something that made him wonder otherwise, then he was sure it was normal again, then he wasn't sure... Here's my theory - the valve is calcified, and two of the cusps are coming fused together, but are not totally that way yet. And everyone looks at me and sees a fortysomething year old man and KNOWS I MUST be bicuspid, despite what they are seeing, which confuses them. Heh.

Have found a Facebook group for people with high Lp(a), which has been interesting. They all know stuff I know, so when I introduced myself and they asked, "Are you I, or G?" and I said I was double-G, they knew right away, "Oh man, I'm sorry, that sucks..." A bit frustrating to see how many of them have gotten on Repatha and lowered their Lp(a) -- one woman, whose Lp(a) is a little lower than mine and who is also GG like me, suffered a heart attack, double bypass, and AVR at the age of 35, and cut her Lp(a) in HALF with Repatha, which apparently the G allele responds well to. Why is it frustrating? Because so many of these people were able to qualify because their LDL didn't go down enough on a statin, and I busted my ass losing 60 pounds and lowering my LDL by 50 points on my own before even trying a statin, which means I may have screwed myself out of lifesaving medication by being too proactive. Going to talk to my cardio doc and depending on how that goes, there may be some discrete pizza eating in my future in an effort to raise my LDL and get on Repatha -- I know that is bananas, but that is the wha-ha-ha-hacky world of medical insurance I guess!

Hi

Nocturne;n881770 said:
...but I did learn that my VMax went from a 2.4 to an average of 2.3. If that keeps up, I'll never need surgery! :^)

I'm calling it good news.

me too ... and glad you found a group who are more specifically informed about your Lp(a) than us

but that is the wha-ha-ha-hacky world of medical insurance I guess!

come live in Australia then ... get 1st world treatment without the problems of needing employer based insurcances ... you wouldn't be the first Yank to do that ya know...

So I saw the complete report on the echo.

I've had three of these things done so far. Every time they waffle on whether or not my valve is bicuspid. The most detailed report said my aortic valve was tricuspid but had "bicuspid morphology" due to "calcification of the non/left commissure", whatever that is.

Anyway, this is what I have on the two big categories as I can see:

Peak AV velocity:
2016: 2.36 M/s
2017: 2.40 M/s
2018: 2.30 M/s

AV Peak Gradient (Max):
2016: 22.3 mmHg
2017: 28 mmHg
2018: 22 mmHg

AV Peak Gradient (Mean):
2016: (Not Reported)
2017: 16 mmHg
2018: 12 mmHg

I don't think you could really ask for better "progression" than that, especially since high Lp(a) is strongly associated with rapid progression. If anything it looks like a trend toward REGRESSION, which I know isn't how this works, but still.

It would be pretty awesome to make it to 60 before needing the surgery done. Guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hoping for Lp(a) lowering drugs to become available.

pellicle;n881773 said:
Hi

me too ... and glad you found a group who are more specifically informed about your Lp(a) than us

come live in Australia then ... get 1st world treatment without the problems of needing employer based insurcances ... you wouldn't be the first Yank to do that ya know...

If you talk like that over here they'll call you a commie....

Back