gut flora in hospitals

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Protimenow

I had a few diverticulitis attacks and ended up having surgery to remove a foot of damaged intestine 2 years ago. They used the Davinci Robot. They had me in an accelerated program and I was out of hospital in two days eating solids. The night before surgery they had me take 3 rounds of some nasty antibiotics. When I was up the next day after surgery, I was to start chewing gum as much as I could. I am thinking this helped get digestive juices going to get things going again.
Chewing gum sure beats the hell out of a fecal transplant.

AnnieP

I have noticed increased SOB last 12 months and ai
Some teams are experimenting with faecal transplants. I am not sure that I would put my hand up for that without strong evidence. Definitely wouldn’t want to be the poor person actually administering it.
The faecal transplant I saw on a medical program ( Trust me I’m a Doctor) they put it down a Nasogastric tube and I think she was sedated.
A book I found interesting The Microbiome solution by Robyn Chutkan
A great film is microbirth missing out on a vaginal birth has long lasting effects. An on line course if you’re keen is The microbiome

Protimenow

The faecal transplant I saw on a medical program ( Trust me I’m a Doctor) they put it down a Nasogastric tube and I think she was sedated.
A book I found interesting The Microbiome solution by Robyn Chutkan
A great film is microbirth missing out on a vaginal birth has long lasting effects. An on line course if you’re keen is The microbiome
The TV show you might be referring to is Gray's Anatomy (if you didn't see it on a medical program). This woman was crazy, self-diagnosing, self-treating, and zapped her microbiome using strong antibiotics that she bought online. The proposed cure was a fecal transplant, using a 'donation' from her husband. He agreed to do it on the condition that she acknowledged she didn't have whatever it was that she self-diagnosed. Yes, the 'sample' was administered, mixed with some liquids to make it transferrable, and I think it WAS administered through an NG tube.

The microbirth video you mentioned makes sense - I was born by C-Section. I didn't have the benefits of the transfer of bacteria that you mentioned. After all these years, I wonder if I can still blame being so strange on having been delivered by C-Section. Well, probably not....