Guided Imagery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

I'm coming up on my three year anniversary September 17 and I've been thinking about the days spent waiting after the decision had been made. I wasn't at all apprehensive but I prudently got all my affairs in order. Really helpful was Guided Imagery. These are audio tapes which in my case were given to me by my surgeons NP. You need a Sony Walkman with auto reverse to play these tapes. Guided Imagery is a form of relaxation therapy that uses methods of deliberately creating images in the mind to assist in change, relaxation and stress management. This brings most folks into a state of focused concentration which provides a feeling of calm, tranquility and peace. Imagery creates a harmony between the mind and body that has some remarkable effects.Between the tapes and a little Percocet I had no pain or discomfort post op. The lady that made my tape was honey voiced Diane Tusek, R.N. Her phone # is (216)944-9292. I think she also has a website if you want to browse for it. I listened to her voice tape each night for a week before the surgery and the day of surgery I was advised to take only the music tape to the hospital. I listened as I went under and then after I woke up in the ICU, talked to my surgeon ,I found the Sony still by my side and listened some more, dozing off and on. Convalescing at home I used the tapes almost every night and three years later still do when my chronic insomnia kicks in. For those of you waiting ,give Diane a call if you're interested.

thanks Marty

thanks Marty

Thanks for this Marty..... In my dad's pre-op package of information from the Cleveland Clinic was a packet about Guided Imagery. They seem to highly recommend it there. It was new to me - so I tried to read a few things on the the internet about it.... in addition to what they sent. They provide the tapes but tell you to bring your walkman and batteries!
There is nothing like a recommendation from someone who has actually used it, though. So I will be sure to pack his Walkman. I don't know whose tapes they use.
We leave for Cleveland one week from today......Cindy

Where were those tapes 2-1/2 years ago!? Could have really used that. Hopefully there will not be a next time.

If it's in the cards I will toss the Valium and head for the natural approach.

Thanks Marty.

PS. Had to add that I noticed you have chronic insomnia. Is this a post op concern for you? I have the same. May go a few days without..but generally I am plagued with it and take 1mg of Xanax as needed before bedtime. I don't like to take drugs.....but sometimes there is no other alternative. I do wake up refreshed and can function.

Last edited:
Marty, thanks for the info on Guided Imagery. I have been working on positive visualization and just started reading 'Getting Well Again" by O. Carl Simonton and Stephanie Matthews-Simonton. While the book is written specifically for cancer patients, the self-awareness techniques they teach can be used by anyone.

The book has self-help steps to reinforce medical treatment and learn positive attitudes and hits on subjects like relaxation, visualization, goal setting, managing pain and exercise.

Good things for us pre-surgery types.......

Deb

boy could we use this!

boy could we use this!

Hi Marty!
I'm new to this site, but I was so thankful to have read your recommendation
of the guided imagery tapes. My husband, Joey, is scheduled for either
RP or AVR (not even sure which surgeon; we haven't been able to meet with
the second one) in a week!!! We are all nervous wrecks in this house. It
takes all I have to hold everyone together!

I think at this point I could use the tapes as much as he can!! I did contact
Diane Tusek and will be receiving the tapes/CD shortly. Her number has
changed to 440-944-9292. She is very lovely on the phone.

I can't thank you enough for this suggestion!
-Sylvia

TO SYLVIA

TO SYLVIA

Isn't Diane a sweetheart? Also, your husband is lucky to have you. Let us know how things go. I hope the tapes help him as much as they did me.

Back