Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rocksoldier

hi everyone! right after showering w/that lovely antibacterial soap-the hospital called.....my surgery is rescheduled til tuesday the 27. my doc was up late doing emergency surgery. i had finally gotten to the pont where i wasn't as freaked-but now the freaking out has resumed!!!!! thanks for your kindness and well wishes,however ! trish

The morning I was getting my pacemaker installed, the nurse told me my surgeon had been up quite late the night before doing a heart transplant, and he was running an hour late (for sleep). Boy, I was quick to volunteer to let him delay my surgery to another day, but he was fine. I sure quizzed him about what time he got to bed, though, before I'd let him operate!

I'm glad your surgeon knows his limits. He sounds very responsible.

That was one of my nightmares. That I would finally get to 'the day' and it would be delayed. I so feel for you but am much happier to hear the surgeon took no chances and wants to always be at his best. While it stinks and I'm so sorry you have this added wait, take relief in knowing you will have your surgeon at his sharpest best.
Go enjoy whatever is your favorite treat this weekend. Savor the time with loved ones and speak with your funniest friends and enjoy some good laughs. You've earned it all.

Godspeed.....

well- i AM glad he knows his limits! like i told his office nurse-i'd rather wait than have him just have an extra large espresso and think he's good to go ! at least it will finally warm up here this weekend! trish

It's a good thing! You don't want your surgeon doing a face-plant into your open chest. Take these next few days to really spoil yourself. If anyone wants to do something else, you give them a pitiful, pouty look and say "But I'm having heart surgery Tuesday.":( Then do what you want to do!

I'll put you on the calendar for the 27th and pm Mary to take the other one off. Better a well rested surgeon! Enjoy the weekend!

i went to the surgeons office and got MORE of that "designer" soap to shower w/mon nite and tues am....i asked the nurse if the doc is on call mon nite-and no he isn't! so-it's 99.9% sure i will have my surgery tuesday! trish

LONG POST WARNING!

VR1 was only delayed one day and one night but I was already admitted to the hospital. I was to have had surgery on a Monday morning but, they'd had to postpone until afternoon since my docs had been up all night harvesting a heart and the lungs from an unfortunate and gifting a recipient with them. About an hour before my surgery, we were sitting and chatting in the atrium when we heard the dreaded code blue called. My husband looked out over the balcony rail and watched my surgeon's resident performing compressions on a man downstairs in the hospital food court. It was clear that I wasn't having surgery that day at all. It turns out this was a good lesson in tolerance.

My AVR2 was cancelled once and rebooked a number of times. The cancellation was because my surgeon decided he needed a heart cath completed prior to surgery and I had to wait for that procedure.

The first re-booking was for two reasons. The first being an emergency OHS had used the last clean available heart/lung machine (there are four machines in 3 OR's ... one is always clean, one is being cleaned, one is in use and the last is on emergency standby) the usual standby machine was out of service and waiting for parts and reason two, that patient had filled the CICU, so no bed was available post op anyway.

Date two was moved because they had 3 hearts for transplants available in one night. That was when my mortality struck home, there were 3 patients who were the recipients of an amazing gift, it wasn't difficult to leave my selfishness behind that day.

The third time, I was at the OR doors, pre-medicated, capped and IV'd when the trauma staff commandeered the heart/lung machine equipped room and they bumped me to the next day. We stayed in the city overnight waiting for admitting the following noon hour.

I was in traffic and about 5 minutes from the hospital that time when the nurse called, my spirits fell and I braced my husband for the inevitable delay. It was a different sort of call though, they were asking for me early and could I be there as soon as possible? We made it and I showered, took the oral pre-meds and heard my surgeon paged to the ER, I couldn't believe it! It turns out that my surgeon wasn't required in that capacity since the ER team managed to convert the patient into normal sinus rhythm without surgery.

Instead of being taken early, I was wheeled in on time and just as I went through the doors I asked the masked being above me if I was going to make it onto the table at last and he told me that the doors were the point of no return.

I have adopted the philosophy that any delay in surgery simply means that there is someone with greater need than I own. They are welcome to the resources needed to save their life, since I am blessed with another day of mine.

Take Heart, you will ultimately get the rescue you are due.
Pamela.

Pamela... My hat is off to you and your wonderful attitude. I would have been looking for a high bridge suitable for jumping if my surgery kept being delayed like that. I don't know how I would have coped. Blessings on you..... What a GREAT attitude.

Pamela... My hat is off to you and your wonderful attitude. I would have been looking for a high bridge suitable for jumping if my surgery kept being delayed like that. I don't know how I would have coped. Blessings on you..... What a GREAT attitude.
LOL. It turns out when I got the phone call on the final day I was on the highest bridge in Edmonton. My husband wouldn't let me out of the car though. ;)

Look on the bright side, at least you can go wash and condition your hair with nice shampoo and have it feeling soft again for a few more days.

I have been the cause of someone's surgery being postponed. I needed my surgeon urgently (and all the other available surgical staff) so the patient who was due to go in after me had to wait until another day. I want to say sorry you missed out on your turn but thanks for understanding and I hope all goes well next time.

Oops.... You mean we are supposed to wash our hair with that awful soap, as well??? We stayed in a hotel near the hospital the night pre-surgery and they had such a lovely shampoo I used...... no one specifically told me hair was also to be washed with the anti-bacterial soap. Now that I think of it, I certainly should have been able to figure that out for myself. :(

Oh well, seems it didn't kill me to not.

no-my doc's nurse told me to wash w/it from the neck down and avoid the privates....trish

Oops.... You mean we are supposed to wash our hair with that awful soap, as well??? We stayed in a hotel near the hospital the night pre-surgery and they had such a lovely shampoo I used...... no one specifically told me hair was also to be washed with the anti-bacterial soap. Now that I think of it, I certainly should have been able to figure that out for myself. :(

Oh well, seems it didn't kill me to not.
You don't need to wash your hair with the bedatine soap. Hair is impossible to sterilize so that's why we all wear those silly hats in the OR. I think aussie was referring to the shampoo because we have to wait the 3 days post op to come off telemetry and the drains before our first glorious shower.

Aussiegal, as I mentioned in my list of surgery delays, the people who bumped my surgery were welcome to the experience of my surgeon and his team. They were obviously in more danger to their lives than I have ever been, so if I were inconvenienced in order that they be given a chance to continue on this planet, I was glad to be delayed.

Take Heart,
Pamela.

Good luck with your new date. We was sent home on surgery day because my son had a tummy bug, i was upset and glad at the same time. You need your surgeon to be at his best, thinking of you, take care.

Keeping you well informed

Keeping you well informed

Glad to learn hospital/surgeon is keeping you well-informed about delays/cancellations. Procedures have certainly changed for the better. Adverse events easier to handle when the reasons are known.
I never thought washing my hair with disinfecting soap either. Just as well though. The hospital boiler had been turned off in the afternoon prior to my surgery--no hot water in the shower. Had to heat a kettle and do the best possible with a basin. Several days following surgery the skin on my upper torso flaked off. Looked like a blizzard so I suppose they applied the "right stuff" all over me in the ER. Rather amusing.
Best wishes for a nice, warm shower.

Latest posts

Back