Greetings ! Getting close to my SAVR.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with your operation and recovery!

Like yourself, I'm getting my BAV and aortic root + the ascending replaced this week via the Bentall procedure. I'm 42 years old, I've chosen the mechanical valve based on my youngish age :) so I hope this is my 'one and done'

Please post an update on your progress, I'll be doing the same :)

Good luck with your operation and recovery!

Like yourself, I'm getting my BAV and aortic root + the ascending replaced this week via the Bentall procedure. I'm 42 years old, I've chosen the mechanical valve based on my youngish age :) so I hope this is my 'one and done'

Please post an update on your progress, I'll be doing the same :)
Good morning, DJ-Rae09.

Thank you and best wishes for your successful outcomes ! 😉👍

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you are going into surgery with the right physical condition and the right mental attitude. Thanks for sharing your experience leading up to this point. I think it is valuable that you shared how easy it would have been to dismiss the minor symptoms you are experiencing as aging. I think a lot of people do that and it can lead many into a danger zone of delaying things too long. Good for you and your team in getting right on with the procedure and not waiting any longer.

With your physical condition, your great mental attitude and getting things taken care of early, I would expect you will do very well in recovery. The recovery passes quickly and you will be back to all of your normal activities before you know it. As long as you feel comfortable doing so, I would recommend walking as much as your medical team will allow you- for me they let me walk as much as I wanted. It always made me feel good in recovery after a few laps around the floor. And use that spirometer breathing device they give you as often as they instruct you. They will usually guide you a few times per day, but you will also probably be expected to do it on your own several times as well. Make sure to use that at least as often as they prescribe, as it is critital to get the lungs back open.

Look at every little step of recovery as a victory. You have a lot of little victories to look forward to in your future- enjoy every one of them!

I'm just over 16 months out from my Bentall procedure and I don't even feel as though I've had OHS at this point. The only reminder is a little pill I take in the morning.

We'll see you on the other side!

Please keep us posted with an update as soon as you feel able to do so.

Best of luck!

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you are going into surgery with the right physical condition and the right mental attitude. Thanks for sharing your experience leading up to this point. I think it is valuable that you shared how easy it would have been to dismiss the minor symptoms you are experiencing as aging. I think a lot of people do that and it can lead many into a danger zone of delaying things too long. Good for you and your team in getting right on with the procedure and not waiting any longer.

With your physical condition, your great mental attitude and getting things taken care of early, I would expect you will do very well in recovery. The recovery passes quickly and you will be back to all of your normal activities before you know it. As long as you feel comfortable doing so, I would recommend walking as much as your medical team will allow you- for me they let me walk as much as I wanted. It always made me feel good in recovery after a few laps around the floor. And use that spirometer breathing device they give you as often as they instruct you. They will usually guide you a few times per day, but you will also probably be expected to do it on your own several times as well. Make sure to use that at least as often as they prescribe, as it is critital to get the lungs back open.

Look at every little step of recovery as a victory. You have a lot of little victories to look forward to in your future- enjoy every one of them!

I'm just over 16 months out from my Bentall procedure and I don't even feel as though I've had OHS at this point. The only reminder is a little pill I take in the morning.

We'll see you on the other side!

Please keep us posted with an update as soon as you feel able to do so.

Best of luck!
Dear Chuck C, thank you so much for your great words of encouragement. I plan to take your advice on all points. I will definitely update the fine people in this community who have shared their own experiences and encouraged me forward. I owe you all.

My ❤️ is ready!

Update:
My SAVR went off without a problem. Took my first walk. Just getting out of ICU. Chest tubes supposed to come out tomorrow. Sofar, a boring update, just the way I like em. Will share more details soon, especially if they are more interesting. 😉👌
Wow! That's super good news, congratulations.🤝:) Best wishes on your recovery.

Update:
My SAVR went off without a problem. Took my first walk. Just getting out of ICU. Chest tubes supposed to come out tomorrow. Sofar, a boring update, just the way I like em. Will share more details soon, especially if they are more interesting. 😉👌
Great to read! Should have the tubes out by now? Getting some walks around the floor in? Hope everything is progressing text book for you and you’ll be heading home soon!

Great to read! Should have the tubes out by now? Getting some walks around the floor in? Hope everything is progressing text book for you and you’ll be heading home soon!
Yes, just got the tubes out this morning. Got 2 walks in yesterday and 1 today sofar.

The pain was tough and we had to stay on top of it. They used Dilaudid 2mg about every 3 hours. Kept O2 in the high 90's.

I sincerely hope this is my one and only OHS.

Thanks for your support, Superman.

Unfortunately, the boring updates stop here. Yesterday got a afib attack and then later, they measured my systolic BP in the 60s. They called about 8 people into my room and asked my wife to leave. Scared the you-know-what out of her.

I had come back from a walk and was sitting in a chair. They put me back in bed and lowered the head. My BP climbed back into 110 region.

They did an echocardiogram right in my room and it came up perfectly. Chest x-ray is good too. Blood work good.

They now have moved me to a step down unit where I'm getting more attention. Stats were good through the night, but when they got me up for a walk this morning, my BP went to the 80s. Sitting down trying to think of things that would get my BP up.

Not out of the woods yet.

Unfortunately, the boring updates stop here. Yesterday got a afib attack and then later, they measured my systolic BP in the 60s

There is usually some aspect of the ride that is a bit of a roller coaster. I had a couple of bouts of afib in the hospital too. It is very common- I've heard and read that it occurs anywhere from 25% to 50% of the time for valve surgery patients.

Regarding your low blood pressure, it is standard practice to put patients on BP lowering medication after surgery, typically beta blockers. Have you discussed with them whether your dosage needs to be tweaked? When I came home from the hospital I was having low pressure and almost fainted a couple times after going up or down the stairs. They dropped my dose in half and it totally resolved, and the lower dose still kept my blood pressure nice and low.

Update:
Sitting in my room with my wife waiting to be discharged...any minute.

I am going to assess this after action...especially how my team responded to the afib attack and then the really low BP (diastolic in 60s). I had no prior afib history. My surgeon assigns 30% of patients get afib from the trauma of surgery. Some have afib already and it may be under medication prior to surgery.

On the low BP, the question is did the team pursue reduction of my hydration too aggressively.

All in all, quite a learning experience.

Thanks to all who have reacted or responded to this thread. My heart goes out to you!

Thanks for the updates. Good to see you’re heading home. Much more relaxing there without people popping in for status updates all the time.
You got that right, Superman! (One of my nurses, a male, was so energetic and capable, that I suggested he sign my pillow as "Superman". He did. Hope you don't mind me borrowing your handle.)

Last edited:
Quick update:

12 days after my SAVR now. Walking alot...2.7 miles yesterday. Wearing a groove in the hard wood floor. Once the temps are a little cooler will switch to outside.

On the technical stuff, they installed a 29 mm Inspiris Resilia model 11500a. I have the serial number and will register for my warranty. 😉 The valve could last the rest of my days (I am 70), but if it doesn't, I should have an option for a valve-in-valve TAVR.

The surgeon measured the aorta at 4 cm and decided it wasn't necessary to work on it. I expect the new valve will mean a much lower gradient and blood velocity (before the surgery was at 39mm hg and 4.3 m/sec) and hopefully that will stabilize further dilation of the aorta. I plan to discuss this further with my surgeon at the follow-up.

My heart and respiration feel good and feel like I'm getting more oxygen than ever (probably because I am!).

This process is a b%tch, but it sure beats the alternative. Thanks to all out there who extended their good wishes and sage advice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back