Grade IV

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kevin M

I went in for a pre-admission clinic and the intern said my valve was grade 4 out of 6. There was so much other information, I forgot to ask what this meant.

I know that someone here knows because I've never seen a question go unanswered yet!

Kev

Valvular Leaks are graded

Valvular Leaks are graded

A + 4 is considered severe. A +2, moderate.

I imagine a +6 means that you would be in deep trouble.

My murmur was a grade 5-6/6. I think that particular number has to do with how loud it is because my OB graded my murmur when I was pregnant after listening through the stethoscope. Although the volume relates to the severity, a louder murmur can be less harmful than a softer murmur. Every doctor that listened to mine was amazed that it was so loud and I was still walking around.

However, the jet that caused the noise was 3+, which as Gary said, is between moderate and severe. This number is also misleading because some people develop this type of problem over time, giving their hearts time to adjust, and some people develop it quickly, which is a more serious problem.

After my Cath, I was told that if someone suddenly developed the problem I had, they would be dead. However, since it had taken me 22 years to get to that point, my heart had compensated by enlarging and pushing more blood than normal required through the damaged valve (85% EF).

That is why doctors looks at all the numbers plus symptoms before recommending surgery.

Back