Got some disturbing news today from a new heart doctor here in Bangkok

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a new heart doctor today regarding my damaged aortic valve--the prognosis is not good : Recovery should be short

He thinks Tissue valve should last 15 to 20 years

He said a sudden decline in my valve is possible

The hospital has a 4.8 rating on Google reviews

He says over time the body rejects all valves--TAVR rejection rate unknown; mechanical the slowest
rate of rejection.

I am not sure how much risk there is of a Stroke Arrythmia* Aneurysm or sudden death ?

He said I am at risk of a sudden heart attack in my sleep from an arrythmia.

He called my valve disease progeression is bad in a grey zone..he said the Velocity and gradient are increase...
He said I have a
valve diameter opening 1.2 or 1.1 opening which is not good

He caught Ectopic beat--check ? Should I do a Holter ? Will ask my doctor

Never heard of anyone "rejecting" a mechanical valve. The closest I read here was someone whose body didn't like warfarin and had a clotting formation problem as a result.

Im no doctor, but as I understand it, when your body rejects something it is at a cellular level. When that rejection happens the cells die. A mechanical valve does not have living cells that can die.

I saw a new heart doctor today regarding my damaged aortic valve--the prognosis is not good : Recovery should be short

He says over time the body rejects all valves--TAVR rejection rate unknown; mechanical the slowest
rate of rejection.

I am not sure how much risk there is of a Stroke Arrythmia* Aneurysm or sudden death ?

He called my valve disease progeression is bad in a grey zone..he said the Velocity and gradient are increase...
He said I have a

In the world of the Mechanical Valve, you do have chances of heart attack or stroke when not taking Blood Thinners. You can still suffer irregular heartbeat, or other heart issues. And never heard of the body rejecting the St. Jude's' aortic valve, since it is treated with anti-rejection to prevent rejection. Now having an organ transplant, you are running into a bigger rejection of organ than you would of a man-made device that is treated.
Ask your cardio questions to be clear of what he is actually saying. Make him prove what he is saying and note his resources of information. Good luck.

Never heard of anyone "rejecting" a mechanical valve. The closest I read here was someone whose body didn't like warfarin and had a clotting formation problem as a result.
I have heard of people having allergic reactions to Coumadin and had to try another med(not the generic Warfarin).

Hello, what the signs / effects of warfarin rejection. I am thinking of trialing one prior to my surgery

rate of rejection.

He said I have a

Im no doctor..but agree you should ask the doctor for research to support what he says…I’ve never heard of eventual rejection of mechanical heart valves. My understanding of aortic stenosis is that less than 1 cm is when it becomes severe. 2.5 cm is normal. It can hang out for a while in the 1cm range diameter but when it starts to get narrower than 1cm it can start to narrow faster. When you reach this level of stenosis you need more frequent echos to check the degree. If you are feeling faint/lightheaded, that is also a more serious indicator. If you have a fib or rhythym issues, that is another issue to address. Maybe get another opinion too….

Never even heard this on Tissue Valves, which are treated the same as mechanical valves, treated with antirejection meds before implanting.

1cm valve size........There seem to be a few measuring systems in use : I was first diagnosed with AV S with a number of 32........... it is now 70 and I go in on the 29th for a bovine . I am in France.

1cm valve size........There seem to be a few measuring systems in use : I was first diagnosed with AV S with a number of 32........... it is now 70 and I go in on the 29th for a bovine . I am in France.

The 1cm (sq) is the area - the bigger the better. It is usually expressed as Effective Orifice Area (look it up). Occasionally it is expressed as geometric opening area - thats simply the size of "the hole". Your # 32 (I believe) is pressure drop (or pressure gradient across the valve) and is in mmHg. 50mmHg = approx 1 psi. The lower the better.

Latest posts

Back