Got my machine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbecker

I just had to send an update that I received my self-testing INR
machine and have been self-testing for 2 weeks. I think it is
great and just have to say thanks to all of you who have really
promoted self-testing. My doctor did not really think I would be
able to get insurance to cover it, but they did, except for my 20%
and it came together so easily. To all who are wondering if it is
worth the effort, let me say yes it is. QAS worked with me very
well and I was amazed. Interestingly this past week my doctor
asked how applying for it was going, I told him I have the machine
already. He said only you Laura would get this all done, I thought
that was interesting knowing how so many of you have been doing
self-testing for a long time. Thanks again.

Great news .................

Great news .................

you have a monitor and it is covered by insurance as well. It doesn't get any better.
Happy sticking.
What POC monitor do you have?

Last edited:
Laura:

Did QAS request that you take your machine to your doctor's office to demonstrate that you can perform a test? I had to do that with my first machine. When I got my 2nd one, I bypassed that, since I already knew how to run a test -- it was just a matter of adjusting to a new machine. I then got a call from someone @ QAS telling me I needed to go to my PCP's office, that they had talked to a nurse there. When I didn't recognize the nurse's name (big practice, so how can I possibly know everybody's name???), that triggered a warning from the person I was talking to.

So, I mailed my doctor a letter thanking him for signing the forms needed to get my new tester and how much I liked the new tester, yadda yadda yadda.

Never heard another word from QAS about taking my tester in.

I got the inratio2 machine from QAS. Marsha, that is interesting. I had to do phone
training, but wasn't told to take the machine to the doctors office. I really basically
work though the Coumadin clinic to communicate my INR levels and what dose
I should be taking. They keep track and contact the doctor I guess if they have
concerns. You said that you got a second machine. Did the 1st one not work, tell
me about that. Will the machines not work very long and then it has to be replaced
or what are you experiencing?

Laura:

I had no problem with my ProTime 3 (did have to send it back 1 year after purchase for a battery problem; I had purchased an extended warranty, which covered repair).
Because I travel on weekends and sometimes take my INR tester, I wanted a smaller machine + one that used replaceable batteries + one with test strips I didn't have to refrigerate.

I campaigned with my husband for a new one, and used our income tax refund in 2008 to buy the new one out of pocket, then got reimbursed from Aetna.

I did training over the phone each time. When I got the INRatio, it was a no-brainer, and the nurse & I just chatted about home-testing. Hardest part I had was figuring out how to cock the lancing device and how to replace the lancing needles! That was it.

With the first machine, there was paperwork for my Doctor's office to sign saying I had demonstrated that I could run a test. Don't know if I got same with the INRatio.

But I figured that since I had been home-testing for 4+ years, why should I demonstrate I could run yet another test on a different machine? So, I refused to go into the PCP's office. (He wasn't concerned one bit.)

Good for you Laura!

I shouldn't have waited over 17 years to start home testing. My wife wanted me to get a home tester from day one. Still wouldn't have had it not been for Ross for I wasn't aware that Medicare fully covered the cost.

QAS had a trainer come from another town to deliver INRatio monitor. Guess my doctor didn't trust me to use it. :D
I had reviewed the online training and didn't need any help but we had a good visit. QAS are great to deal with.

Speedy response

Speedy response

Albert got his first monitor from QAS in 2001. They were most helpful in many regards. At that time Medicare did not cover the monitor so we paid for it ourselves. Brian at QAS helped us every step of the way. I think we got it less that a week after we ordered the monitor.

That must mean that the long delays that people are experiencing may be caused by the need to get insurance approval. Just a thought....

Blanche

Cheers for you Laura..!!

Cheers for you Laura..!!

That must mean that the long delays that people are experiencing may be caused by the need to get insurance approval. Just a thought....Blanche

That is the deal Blanche. Mine took almost 4 months because of stubborn insurance rules and people working there who didn't have a clue. I have a Medicare Advantage private insurance plan and QAS was 'out-of-network', so it took Brandi (at QAS who never gives up) a loooooong time to find a supplier who was 'in-network'. All that was after the insurance company gave me a list of about 10 suppliers who were 'in-network':rolleyes:. I called each one and not one of them was 'in-network' and most didn't even know what the machine was and a couple weren't even in business anymore...:mad: Talk about gross incompetence..!!

I'm outta this private insurance plan soon as I can and on to that 100% government run program people just love called "Medicare"..:D

Colleen you had asked how long it took to get my machine. It was really very quick after they told me I had been approved. What seem to hold up my request was that I faxed my information on the sheet to the individual that was to receive it. I never heard back,I had also talked to someone by phone at QAS and was told I would hear back in a month or two. Well that was in Aug. In Sept. I called QAS and they did not have my information so I gave it to the lady again and then within a couple weeks I heard back and had my machine the next week. Guess you just have to checking if
you are not hearing anything. One other questions I have. I am on an automatic
ship when it comes to the testing strips, do they get them sent to you in time or is
that a problem. Interestingly the box they sent me was to have twelve strips but
there was only 11 so wondering if I will be short near the end of the 3 months?

when it comes to the testing strips, do they get them sent to you in time or is
that a problem. Interestingly the box they sent me was to have twelve strips but
there was only 11 so wondering if I will be short near the end of the 3 months?

I've received shipments well before I needed them. But I used some extra strips the last time and we were leaving for a 2 week cruise so I called them for an early shipment. Received the next day.
Give QAS a call about receiving only 11 strips. They are great people to deal with.

Dayton, thanks for that info. I will contact them and see what I can find out. Good
to hear they work well with their customers. Laura

I have to get strips from a middleman ( an in network provider) who gets them from QAS! UGH! They are stingy with the strips, especially at the beginning when you go thru alot of strips due to mistakes. I really think someone who is actually ON MONITORING themselves should be employed to help people circumvent the system.

Latest posts

Back