Got my date: 9/30/15

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybunny

Using LawDog's icon in the heading :)

Yea! Just got the date for my AVR - September 30th - 10 days after my 61st birthday. Pretty cool bday present, don't you think?

I saw the surgeon this past Monday and really liked him. So did my two older children and my son's girlfriend, who is a nurse. He was OK with either valve type so I'm going with tissue.

I am really excited about this, crazy as that sounds. Reading posts here have helped squelch many of my fears. I want it over with one way or the other. If something happens, I feel good about all the ducks I got in a row after the diagnosis. But mostly I want to feel better (though my only real symptom has been shortness of breath) and I am ready as I will ever be to go forward. The timing is also good as far as my job is concerned. We expect a big push on the workload near the end of the year and if all goes well I'll be back just in time for that.

So I am feeling optimistic today!

Fantastic. And great to feel your optimism. Tremendously encouraging. And good it has played out how you wanted.

I wish you all the best now, of course, and for sure will be wishing you a big best as the day nears.

All the Best honeybunny. Can't wait to hear from you after Sept.30th. Honestly, going into surgery, my family was more worried than I ever was. All I had to do was go under and wake up normal on the other side. My family on the other hand, had to anxiously wait outside the OR and recovery for an entire day wondering how the heck the operation went and if I would make it !!

Glad to read that you received your date, Honeybunny! Hectic and I should be all healed-up by then. I will be sure to relate my experiences with recovery. Wishing you the best.

Thanks everyone. And yes, Agian, it does feel strange to be so excited. But I'm even more optimistic since my initial post because yesterday I talked with a friend/former coworker who, long story short, was the administrative assistant to my surgeon about 13 years ago. I remember her telling me about him, but didn't recall his name at all. She says he is world renowned, the BEST, a "disciple" of Michael Debakey, and on and on. She left her job with him because he was very demanding and the environment was high stress because he expected perfection. He is invited all over the world to speak and patients travel from all over to see him, which explains the comment his nurse made to me about not needing to schedule tests on the same day because -- unlike most of their patients -- I was local whereas most were out-of-town,

I honestly had no idea he is sought after. A friend referred me to her cardiologist for a second opinion following my initial diagnosis May 29th. He accepted me confirmed the diagnosis and referred me to Dr. Coselli. I Googled him of course but nothing I read struck me as out of the ordinary. In fact, I was a bit concerned because his speciality is aortic aneurysm, not valve replacement, But he is chief of cardiothoracic surgery at the Texas Heart Institute and I figured if my cardiologist referred him he should be good. Duh!

I'm glad now that I didn't ask him how many of these procedures he has done or what his mortality rate is. I would have looked like an idiot!! He probably suspected I didn't know his reputation based on my demeanor. Also, his nurse had asked me in the preconsultation how I had gotten in with my cardiologist, Jose Diez. I asked, "Why, is that good?" She said "VERY good!"

So here I am with apparently the best medical team I could hope for and I had no clue. Don't want to bring spiritually into this but right now I feel very blessed and even more excited about getting it done and getting back on my feet again.

And if for some reason I don't make it, well...there are a lot of people I am looking forward to seeing again, including my late husband, the newborn son I buried 30 years ago, and my best friend in the whole world :)

P.S., my friend said he has he own heart valve, the Coselli valve, but I couldn't find any information on it

Really good you now have a date honeybunny - it does feel a relief when you have an actual date. .And you now have plenty of time to prepare your house and things for your post surgery recovery too :) I remember a discussion I and some others had here on forum about pj's and other things to take into hospital - who wants to look a mess ? Spoil yourself :)

I am, Anne :). Bought six pair of nice PJs. Also got a power lift recliner thanks to my brother who bought it for me. I've seen the post about what to bring so I should be well prepared. as I e said before, this forum has been a godsend for me. I was well prepared for my visit Monday. He seemed surprised that I knew which valve I wanted (thanks again for that!)

All the Best honeybunny. Can't wait to hear from you after Sept.30th. Honestly, going into surgery, my family was more worried than I ever was. All I had to do was go under and wake up normal on the other side. My family on the other hand, had to anxiously wait outside the OR and recovery for an entire day wondering how the heck the operation went and if I would make it !!

Hi Honybunny

Your positive attitude will most surely contribute to the very best outcome for you and will be an inspiration to others..

You’re on your way to feeling better and better health. Best of luck and looking forward to hearing of your full recovery.

Nick

Your amazing hunky bunny!
What value did you decide on ?
I am he AVR and MVR also very soon. I see my Surgeon for Consultation Sept 22 / 15. I can't say that I am as excited as you are. It's been 2.5 yrs in the making and l just want this all to be over. I honestly stuggle for every breath that l take it seems. You energy and enthusiasm is hops fully contagious!
Thx u 😘

Honeybunny your amazing !
What kind of value did you choose. I am so undecided and uneducated as far as Machanical Vales are concerned. I need both MVR and AVR before the yrs end, mostly likely Oct/Nov
I hope that you enthusiasm and energy is contagious as l struggle for every breath that l take literally feels like someone is sitting on me.. swollen hands and feet headaches dry cough constantly. I will be very grateful and glad when this is over l just wish l could do it with a little more conviction and enthusiasm.

I went with tissue. Paleogirl (Anne)was kind enough to "talk" with me about her own decision to go with tissue. We are the same age with the same concerns and her choice made me comfortable selecting tissue. The lifelong Warafin wasn't as off putting as the potential ticking of a mechanical valve for me.

Everyone here is so wonderful that any questions you have about your choice of valve should be answered.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Thank you honeybunny and to Paliogirl so much wisdom!
I always wanted tissue but l will say that right from day one they gave talked Machanical Vales. . I need 2 and can't imagine listening to that ticking constantly especially if they are not in sync. And agree warfrin for life . Not looking forward to it. I will definitely be interested in why my doc are talking mechanical when l go to the surgeon consult.
I am 55 yrs old.
Thx you !
Sending prayers for a successful surgery and recovery. Xx

I'm wondering if you are higher risk to calcify / scar a tissue valve, Harriet. One link Pellicle posted that I read said that the risk factors to wear out a tissue valve include young age but also being female and having a history of rheumatic heart disease. So they may be concerned that you will get a shorter than average valve life, and at 55 that means more surgery for sure, unless you get hit by a bus first. Personally I think I could get used to the ticking. : )

Go for it honeybunny, I would like an attitude transplant from you to me when my time comes. : )

Back