Good Luck Peter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken

Hi Peter:

I wish you everything that you wish for yourself & more for your surgery on the 4th. I look forward to your reports from the other side. You have climbed the mountain like a champion & it is now just one small step to the top......

Ken

Ditto

Ditto

Have your family keep in touch with us while you're 'out'. We'll see you on the other side.

Two days till lift-off

Two days till lift-off

Thanks, folks -- and thanks to the others who have conveyed thoughts and good wishes on other posts, not to speak of the countless who have gone before us!

I'll use this thread for an eleventh hour update rather than resurrect the older thread on "Prepping for the Big One." I spent most of Thursday in Gainesville for pre-ops at Shands Hospital. Overall things went very well. The people in the various units (Central Testing, Cardiovascular, Anesthesiology) were great. Only the coordination BETWEEN units left something to be desired -- a few missed signals here, a ball slightly fumbled there, but no blood lost, literally or figuratively. Shands is one busy place. When my son had his surgery there (under the care of a wonderful pediatric urologist), the place reminded me a bit of the O'Hare Airport of surgery: so many takeoffs and landings going on simultaneously that you really needed an air traffic controller!

I wasn't able to see the surgeon, who was -- where else? -- in surgery; but had a good long talk with the Physician's Assistant, who took all the time I wanted. It looks as though my wife will not be able to stay in the room-- obviously not in the ICU, and permission to stay with patients in semi-private rooms is up to the floor staff and -- said the PA -- not usually given.

Still haven't made a final choice among the two options -- CE Pericardium and Cryovalve SG -- and it may go down to the wire, so to speak, given my Gemini nature and the PA saying they could go either way up to the hour before the operation. But I suspect I'll have things sorted out by then. I feel able to hang fire a bit because, basically, both choices are good and the surgeon and team seem highly competent to handle both.

I inquired about exactly WHO does the surgery. I was told it is Dr. Martin assisted by a team of "fellows." Shands is a teaching hospital, but the PA said that Dr. Martin is at the controls.

We discussed comparative cross-clamp time and subsequent effects. The PA has less of a technical grasp of this, I think, than either the surgeon or the chief anesthesiologist. (I noted in the anesthesiology section an office labeled "International Study of Post Operative Cognitive Dysfunction," no less.) Am I right in thinking that, other things being equal, severity of "pumpheadedness" is a function of length time on the heart-lung machine?

Now it's final preps at home. including get the kids squared around for our absence. I am told I can expect to be 7-10 days at the hospital, but then to be released to come back to Tallahassee without any need to hang around on an outpatient basis; but I guess that can vary (particularly on the down side) quite a bit according to the case. Steve Wieland was out in more like four days, I believe. We shall see!

Think I'm ready for the plunge. Jordan's water is muddy and cold, chills the body but not the soul.

Peter

Good luck

Good luck

Peter - sounds like you're ready in every sense of the word.

Looking forward to hearing the details before too long.

All the very best.

Good luck Peter

Good luck Peter

You'll come through with flying colors. You don't have a clipboard with you to write down every detail, do you:p ?

You're the most prepared guy ever!

Best of luck and here's to better health.

Hi Peter,
You sound very prepared. You should do fine. You will be in our prayers and thoughts. Can't wait for the post op reports. Keep that pillow close and watch out for the green jell-o.:p

Thinking of you....

Thinking of you....

Hi Peter,
Left you a note on another thread - wanted to be sure you knew I was thinking of you this week. We may even go on the same day after all... as they are considering moving my dad up a day or two.... if not - Wed. will be it.
We know you will do great!! Look forward to reading all about it.
:)

Thinking of you

Thinking of you

Hi Peter
Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and sending positive and healing thoughts in your direction. You sound very prepared..I need to take a lesson from you..I suppose as the time becomes closer..I'll do exactly the same as you. Thank you so much for all of your input on valve choices and valve replacement.Those of us with upcomming surgery will be carefully reading about your experience as soon as you are able to get back to the computer. I know that you will have a quick and uneventful recovery
Joan

Correspondents

Correspondents

I think I'll post my kids on the discussion boards to keep folks abreast of the news.

Let me introduce them: Naseemeh (Persian for "spring breeze," as she was born in May), age 14, just into high school; and Naveed (Persian for "good news," as he generally is), age 11, just into middle school. Both are hard to pry off the computer anyway and it will give them something to do while Mom (Zohre) is down at Shands with me.

We've celebrated the prospect of my being cooped up at the house for a while and reduced to traveling through internet -- not to speak of the kids' increasing use of the medium for their own schoolwork and research -- by getting a cable modem installed, then running what seemed like miles of cable around crawl spaces to take ti to the other end of the house, too. So I should be back to communicating before too long. But as to how and when ... God only knows and she ain't said yet!

Peter

Peter

You are so well prepared, Im surprised you dont want to stay awake in case they need your expertise! And Im not kidding! You probably know more about these procedures than the people you are dealing with. Except the Surgeon, that is.

Prayers are coming that way, for you and yours. You are almost there. Hang
tough. ;)
Mindy

Hi Peter

Wishing you good luck through your surgery. Try not to ask too many questions during the operation or it might distract the surgeons.

Looking forward to your reports from the other side.

Will be thinking of you down here

Gerry
(still/again in Sydney)

Tuesday night...........

Tuesday night...........

Hey Peter

Trust the worst is over by now - Let us know how it all went.

Back