Gonna get an AVR done, need some mental support.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SzB005

Hello everyone,
I'm 20 years old and I have severe aortic stenosis. Recently I was told to get a surgery done. I'll be getting operated by the first week of May. I needed a few insights as to what to expect pre and post op. What precautions should I be taking before the surgery and after it. And what is the procedure of the surgery. Also I'm opting for a mechanical valve.

Thanks a lot.

Hi
SzB005;n882829 said:
I'm 20 years old and I have severe aortic stenosis. Recently I was told to get a surgery done. I'll be getting operated by the first week of May. I needed a few insights as to what to expect pre and post op. What precautions should I be taking before the surgery and after it. And what is the procedure of the surgery.

I guess that being an age between my first and second surgery I'm not sure (10 then 28) what your situation is. If you still live at home that' will make things a lot easier.

There is pretty much nothing to do pre-surgery that the hospital won't mention to you.
Post surgery should also be relatively straight forward. They'll probably say these things but:
  • walk around the ward as much as you can
  • try walking around when you get home as much as you can (even hills aren't a problem, just carrying things is to be avoided)
  • don't lift things
  • when you cough (if they don't give you something, get a rolled up towel and pull it tight to your chest when you cough, tuck elbows into sides and cross your arms ... they'll show you)
  • don't stress the sternum (middle of the chest) for at least the 8 weeks
  • they'll probably teach you how to sit up in bed properly to not stress the strenum
  • keep away from anything which may make you sneeze
hopefully someone else will give you some more points, but that's about all I can think of for now. Its been at least 6 years since my last one, and things are often a bit different for younger people than older people.

Relax and just let it all happen ... it will be a memory soon enough ;-)

Take something to listen to / watch. I took a tablet with a bunch of movies on an external HDD (which shows I don't use iPad) and had a Net Connection to read and stuff ...

Sleep as you need to.

Best Wishes

Welcome! Glad you found the site. You'll find lots of support here.

When I joined the site I looked at the Pre-surgery and Post Surgery forums to read about other people's experiences, such as what things they brought to the hospital and what surprised them about their surgery.

Please keep us posted.

Hugs,
Michele

SzB005,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found it before you went in. I was 17 when I went in for my first. 18 when I got out. Still lived at home, so I didn't have to worry about meals or driving or work, etc. If you're still at home, that's a huge advantage in your recovery already.

I echo pretty much what Pellicle said. Move. Do your rehab if available. Rolled up towel or a small throw pillow works great for coughing, etc. Line up any rides you may need for follow up appointments, etc. I had people drive me to the local mall to walk with the senior's in the morning. I didn't have a treadmill, and it was cold in late November in Michigan. Continue to post, keep the forum updated, and ask any questions you might have, no matter how dumb you may think they are. I'll add that if you don't have a nice comfortable recliner in your favorite room, move one there before surgery. Easiest to get in and out of. Allows you to lay back and nap when needed and get up with minimal stress.

You're fortunate to be going in now. It was 1990 when I had my first surgery. No internet, no support peer group, everyone else on the cardiac floor was old and in for bypass. No home testing for INR (warfarin). That said, being young during this is kind of cool. Recovery is much easier. You should get extra attention as the nurses don't get many young people in for heart surgery. I know I was quite a novelty on the floor. They even brought me a birthday cake and I didn't have to share a room during recovery.

Hi SzB005. Having this kind of surgery is like "eating an elephant".......you do it "one bite at a time". My best advice is educated yourself now about the surgery and you will come to realize that it will affect your life....and lifestyle very little. The only real change it made in my life was learning to discipline myself regarding taking medications such as Warfarin(anti-coagulant). That is tough for a young man who probably has never needed medications of any kind. Warfarin is the one drug that must be taken as prescribed and routinely monitored(INR). That simple routine is, pretty much, the only significant change I had to make in my life........along with learning not to run with scissors. Other than that, I've lived a normal life doing normal things since my surgery at age 31......now 82. Stick around and ask your questions.......you will get good insight from this forum.

SzB005
heck, you could even selfie a few posts to here (sorry, I do Farcebook, but not Instagram).

I'll be back in Australia so I can do virtual visits by phone if you are "unable to sleep" at obscene hours (hint: hospitals are known for shitty sleep cycles)

dick0236;n882835 said:
.....along with learning not to run with scissors. .

its not a bad album
2520985.jpg

Hi SzB, and welcome. I echo all the other points that have been made, and mine would be:
  1. Get some ear plugs for the stay in hospital! I don't know how many people had periods on wards when they had their operations, but here in the UK a lot of the recovery time is spent on a "high dependency" ward so that nursing staff can keep an eye on you and a bunch of other patients. I emerged from hospital 25 days after going in by ambulance (I had some complications - it's not normally that long) just amazed at how little regard medical staff have for the recovery benefits of sleeping. And of course alarms will go off for other patients, there are cleaners, caterers and all sorts of things that need to get done going on around you.
  2. Think about how you will sleep at home. As Pellicle says, you can't put stress on your sternum whilst it recovers, which means even twisting to lift your legs into bed can be painful at first. Either make sure you have multiple pillows available, or perhaps one of those big "wedge" pillow things. I normally sleep on my side, and you can't do that for 8 weeks. Fortunately I had a reclining chair - the electric versions can be stopped in any position, so I agree with Superman about those.
  3. How are your teeth? Healthy teeth are surprisingly important, and an infection can go straight to the heart and be fatal. If your Cardiologist has not already said this, get your teeth checked by a dentist, and cleaned.
  4. Make sure people really wash their hands well when visiting you. The biggest risk at home is infection, which can be incredibly serious, and mean you go back into hospital. Get them to use good soap or antibacterial hand wash.
  5. Maintain excellent hygiene standards yourself. Make sure nobody else uses your towel, and change it every three days at most, for a fresh clean one. Wash your hands several times per day. Do not keep touching your wound once the dressings are removed.
  6. Exercise is important (particularly walking) when you go home, but don't push it. You will tire quickly, so don't go far to start off with.
  7. Don't make big decisions in the three months after surgery. Whilst your body is healing itself, it takes energy from other parts, particularly the brain. You will not be able to concentrate much.
  8. I don't know how healthcare in India works, but ask your doctor about being able to home test your "INR" - this is a measure of how quickly your blood clots, and for those of us with mechanical valve we take Warfarin to make our blood typically two to 3.5 times longer to clot than a normal person. This helps the blood run smoothly through your valve. Getting this right is important - too "thick" and you are at higher risk of a stroke. Too thin and you can have a brain haemorrhage. Stay in range and your valve will last a long time. Also, the home test machine is a little finger prick device, not having to go to a medical place for them to take blood from your arm, so much more convenient. Only the CoaguChek XS machine is approved here in the UK, and gives reliable results comparable with those in hospital. I have more info if wanted - message me.
  9. Don't play cricket. Apart from the health risks of stress or impact from a cricket ball, our England team is useless at present, and we don't need any good opponents. Thanks!
Ask more questions if you need, and keep us posted with your recovery - it will pass surprisingly quickly.

Last edited:
You have my best wishes and prayer. I'm either gonna be right in line behind or maybe ahead of you. I have my consultation 4-19 and then it shall all begin I guess. I have been given some very good information from these good people. So glad I found this site and Godspeed to you.

Latest posts

Back