Golf?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TP12022015

I enjoy golf a great amount and was wondering how far removed from surgery will I feel comfortable taking a full swing? Anyone else have any time frame for their return to the golf course?

Thanks!

I also enjoy golf altho I had not taken up the sport at the time of my surgery. However, I remember digging a post hole for a mail box 90 days post-op and don't recall any pain or discomfort. Your body will let you know when it's time. For sure it will slow down your backswing......which is a good thing.

I don't play golf, but if you put time and careful effort into streching and rehab you will be undiminished from before ... nay better.

I did Aikido for some time after my second OHS. I expect that requires a little more flexibility and places more stress on the chest. I only stepped back from the sport after a motorcycle accident broke my wrist (hit a car door being opened) then work and busy life more or less got in the way of Aikido for another 15 years.

Enjoy your Golf :)

I would estimate 3 mo. It might not be without a slight pain but it will be good rehab for your upper body. It might take 6-9 mo. before you won't have the slightest of pain sleeping on your side and lifting above your head.

I'm an avid golfer and golf was one of the last things my surgeon allowed me to do. I had to wait 12 weeks postop (full sternotomy, AVR and root aneurysm). My first postop round was a joyous occasion for me, even though my score wasn't great. I appreciate golf even more now than I did before I wasn't able to play for 3 months in peak season (May, June, July).

It was a bit uncomfortable at first, but mainly just stiffness. I don't really notice it now, 3 1/2 years later.

Best of luck to you. Hit them long and straight, and drop those 10 footers!

Thanks for all the feedback. Given the weather in Cleveland, I think i can be extra patient and give it at least 90 days before I might find myself at a heated driving range.

Latest posts

Back