Golf After Mitral Valve Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Larry Rogers

I had mitral valve repair surgery about 4 months ago and would like to know of there are any golfers out there who could tell me how long they waited before they resumed playing golf.

Thanks

Larry

Golf after Surgery

Golf after Surgery

Hi Larry.........I had my surgery Nov,99 and played my first round of golf in the beginning of March, 00.

Didn't make a full swing initially but after a few holes felt okay and haven't stopped since, playing 3-4 times a week.

After 7 months was okay enough to go and play Peeble Beach and Spanish Bay.

I would guess it is dependent on the individual and how one heals and feels and if you are as avid a golfer as I am, no sense putting around on your living room carpet when the real deal is just a nine iron away.

What I would suggest is playing with someone and taking an electric/motor cart, but walking the course as much as you can. I still do it that way and walk more than I ride.

Additionally I do take advantage of being able to get a handicap flag when the course is hilly or wet and it is "cart path only" I show my "valve replacement card" that I got from St Jude and never have a problem getting a flag.

So can we count on you as a participant in our VR.com OPEN at our next reunion in Los Vegas?

Hit 'em Well!

P.S. to Larry

P.S. to Larry

My handicap was a 10 pre-surgery, then went up to a 15/16 and now I am a 12.

Bob,

Thanks for your reply concerning how long to wait after surgery before playing golf. It sounds like 4 to 5 months could be the right amount of time if their are no other complications.

The golf tournament in October 2002 sounds like it would be a good opportunity to commiserate with other folks who have had valve jobs, as well as hit the ball around.

My handicap varies from 18 to 22, so I will expect a few strokes, unless, of course, my surgery resulted in just a slight draw and few more yards of carry. Fat chance of that. HA!

Thanks again for the information.

Larry.........Strokes?

Larry.........Strokes?

You 18-22 handicaps are the toughest........you can shoot in the 80's quite easily.........but if its strokes you want, then strokes you get.

Golf is a walk in the park with some friends, first...........and foremost.

I'm sure you'll be ready.

Golf

Golf

Hi there, I had surgery in March 2001 and played for the first time first time after 3 months, I had a lesson with the club Pro and found this realy helpful as he had some great excercises that showed me how strong I was and how even a full swing did'nt hurt at all, the only thing was a full 18 was very tyring, but still better than the last 3 months!

Golf after ........

Golf after ........

Hi Larry, the advice from Bob and elsiedog was right on the money. I am 75 now and was 72 when I had my St. Jude mitral replacement. I play at ArmyNavy CC a hilly course near the Pentagon and was fortunate in that the head pro was a post CABG patient. He told me I could chip and putt after three weeks and start the big swing at eight weeks post op. It worked for me.
Incidentally I could hardly walk 100 steps before the surgery but after 20 weeks of cardiac rehab post op I now can sail up and down the hills with a light bag and seven clubs. So the only point on which I differ from Bob a little is I try to walk and carry as much as I can . I only ride now on special occasions for social reasons. If I walk on the golf course I skip my treadmill session for that day. Go for it!

Hey golfers!

Hey golfers!

MATXR & Elsiedog,

What are the chances of you joining us next fall in Las Vegas at the VR.COM OPEN? Bob is heading up the event and inviting all valve replacement pros to play.

Oct. 9-13, 2002. Mark your golf calendar. Would personally love to see you there! You can carry my clubs.

Fore!

Perry,

Sounds great, I love Vegas, if we can arrnage holidays etc for that time I would love to play, please send more info re dates when you have them.

Richard

Las Vegas Reunion

Las Vegas Reunion

October 9-13, 2002. No other details at this time. Can I borrow one of your mashies?

It would be an honor to play golf with you.

It is the diary, I really look forward to it, I have been to Vegas quite a few times and never played golf there, the courses look good from what I have seen, do you know which one it will be?
It will be nice to play in the sun, it will certainly make a change from the cold and rain we have over here at the moment!

Latest posts

Back