Going without anti-coagulation meds?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garlic and Aspirin also make clotting take longer - although in a different way from what Warfarin does. (Aspirin makes the platelets less 'sticky').

Neither is as predictable as warfarin.

I wouldn't try going without warfarin. I carry an emergency stash of all meds in my 2 rolling suitcases and both overnight pieces and in my briefcase when I judge cat shows. Last Friday I failed to refill my 7-day pillbox and en route to Oklahoma City to judge a cat show I realized my error, pulled over and checked my overnight bag and gave a sigh of relief. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have dipped into an emergency stash.

I just posted these 3 threads elsewhere, but these were started by Al Lodwick, a pharmacist who used to run a Coumadin clinic at a hospital in Pueblo, Colo. He was a Certified Anti-Coagulation Care Provider (CACP) through the Anticoagulation Forum, www.acforum.org.

http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...ars-without-warfarin&highlight=years+warfarin

http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...oumadin-for-30-years&highlight=years+warfarin

http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...ars-Without-Warfarin&highlight=years+warfarin

So true, what a fantastic film.

JKM I do agree with you probably more than not.

Yot, ill keep that in mind and the garlic and aspirin thing, what's that about?!

Thanks, Ovie. ;)

I know you've had a rough time and really wish you well.
This OHS stuff is not easy on any of us. Hang in there. It does get better.

I had a TIA which luckily affected my sight in my left eye for about a minute...a grey curtain fell in front of my left eye sight and could not see anything!

What caused it? I checked my INR right away once I reached home...it was 1.5 (for the first time since my surgery). Unfortunately, I got too relaxed about my INR and I skipped testing it for two weeks before this happened.

My Opthalmologist was relieved when he knew that I raised my warfarin dosage right away and luckily it did not leave any damage!

That's an odd symptom. I've had that a few times, and didn't relate it to INR being too low. I get ocular migraines. I've been getting them for decades. I associated the gray 'cloud' to something related to the ocular migraine -- blood pressure or something - rather than an INR that is too low.

The next time I get one of those things, I'll double-check my INR. (Although I've had one TIA, I didn't associate that visual thing to INR - it seemed like a scary, temporary neurological event rather than a permanent visual disturbance or something related a thrown clot)

That's an odd symptom. I've had that a few times, and didn't relate it to INR being too low. I get ocular migraines. I've been getting them for decades. I associated the gray 'cloud' to something related to the ocular migraine -- blood pressure or something - rather than an INR that is too low.

The next time I get one of those things, I'll double-check my INR. (Although I've had one TIA, I didn't associate that visual thing to INR - it seemed like a scary, temporary neurological event rather than a permanent visual disturbance or something related a thrown clot)

Since my BP is normally below normal, the first thing that came to mind was to check my INR, especially that I skipped two weeks!

My ophthalmologist's first reaction was to go to my cardio or PG to check my INR. When he knew that I already did it at home and told him how low it was and that I already increased my warfarin, he was relaxed.

My optical gray-outs could possibly be BP-related, too. (So can my ocular migraines, come to think of it). I check my INR every week in order to be sure that I'm in range -- or not out of range for very long.

Latest posts

Back