Going to high altitudes (14,000 feet+ ) while on warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prashantsin

Hi, I went through Bentall Procedure in April 2014 and now have a mechanical valve. I take Warfarin 5 mg & Ecosprin 75 daily to maintain my INR between 2 & 3. I plan to make a day trip by car to a mountain pass in Sikkim, India with family which is at a height of around 4300 mts ( 14,200 feet). Is there anything that I need to be aware/worried of? Is it safe to go to that high altitudes? Are there any precautions that I should be taking? Would really appreciate if people could share there experiences.
I find myself to be fit, can easily climb stairs till 6 floors, run a bit and play sports. My last Echo (Dec 2014) measured an LV EF of 55%

Thanks in Advance!

Sounds like an excellent trip, I hope you post some pictures :)

I would not expect warfarin would effect anything, but it you stayed there a few weeks your metabolism may alter and you may need to keep an eye on that.

Warfarin does not cause bleeds, it just slows down them stopping. Have you a history of nose bleeds at altitude? I would not hesitate if it was me :)

A 747 has a 'cabin altitude' (pressurization equivalent to) 9000 ft. I've flown in the more than a dozen times, for hours and hours at a time, and had no notable difference in INR. I don't know what happens above that, but it would be an interesting thing for you to check and report back on!
This isn't much help, but it suggests that long term high altitude exposure could be a problem. http://ptinr.com/warfarin-you/general-information/warfarin-faq/travel-series-altitude-your-inr

Hi there
yotphix;n858570 said:
A 747 has a 'cabin altitude' (pressurization equivalent to) 9000 ft.

that's good to know ... I knew it was lower pressure, but didn't know what it equated to.

Thanks for that tidbit

I forgot to report back after the trip.....the trip went well and I felt absolutely normal throughout. I tried uploading the pics but got the message that I am not authorized to post attachments.

Latest posts

Back