Go Red for Women Day

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanche

Happy to be here
Supporting Member
The American Heart Association is once again sponsoring Go Red For Women Day. So, please dust off your red dress pins from past years and drag out your red clothes. The 2008 Go Red For women Day is February 1, 2008. Everyone, men, women, and children are encouraged to participate.

Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of American women, according to the American Heart Association.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1200011

Kind regards,
Blanche

I ordered some small red heart lapel pins and when I was in my cardio's office last week, I gave each of the girls one. They seemed to like them.... put them on their tops right away. I left an extra at their desk for my doctor and said I'm sure he wouldn't want this but wouldn't want him to feel left out.

When he came into the examining room to see me, he had put it on thE lapel of his white coat. Made me feel very good that he did that. Very special man and I am so blessed I have him to take care of me.

Yup, planning to wear my red AND my "Bling" just for fun...though really, I don't think most people think of us valvers when they think heart disease :p

Happy Go Red Day, everyone!

God bless our ladies -- this is an excellent event and heads-up about women and heart disease. Thanks for posting, Blanche, and mentioning that guys can participate, too. I will wear my bright red St. Louis Cardinals warm-up jacket all day Friday to show support for this. :)

not only should you wear red --

Try to attend your local "Go Red Luncheon". Here in Anchorage two years ago the key note speaker was a woman who had Open Heart Surgery and the 'main' host of the luncheon was also a woman who had open heart surgery was great to see both who also received valves and repairs and had holes closed up.

The luncheons also have open rooms for updating newest information about heart diseases and etc. Each will have their own keynote speaker. I always find these luncheons worth the time and donation they cost to attend!

Thanks for the reminder!

I think I would prefer the luncheon..... will I-5 get me to Alaska??

" The 2008 Portland Heart Ball promises to be an exciting, festive evening of dining, dancing and bidding – all to benefit research and education to help protect our community and loved ones against heart disease and stroke. With a Spanish theme, live music and flamenco dancing, this will be an evening to remember.

So be sure to mark your calendars, secure your table and put on your best black-tie attire (of course, red is always welcome as well) and help us make a difference in the lives of those touched by heart disease and stroke by supporting the Heart Ball."

Oh, there's more here in Portland. Looks like we can line up for our 15 minutes of fame. Wonder if the other states are encouraging this participation.......

"Do you have a personal story to share about surviving heart disease or stroke? Are you an inspiration to others because of lifestyle changes that have kept your heart healthy?

Go Red For Women is calling on real women from across the country to share their stories. Participate in the Portland casting call for a chance to become an official “Heart of Go Red” spokesperson and represent the movement in 2008-2009. This includes the the opportunity to appear in a television special on women and heart disease.

How to apply
The casting call is open to survivors, family members, friends, or heart health professionals to share their stories. Come to Macy’s Downtown Portland between noon to 1:00 p.m. on February 1. Each person will have two minutes to share a personal story on camera, and the best ones will be entered into nationwide search.

No pre-registration is needed. "

As for me....I'll stick with just wearing the red wooly scarf I made (one of about 100 I knitted to keep myself sane during the 3 years I waited for surgery....)

Marguerite

Thank you Blanche for the reminder BUT I guess I have to decline. You see, I am in Louisiana and this coming Tuesday is Mardi Gras Day. This Friday, the first graders have a Mardi Gras Float parade.The first graders decorated shoe boxes and will carry them in our parade. I would not dare wear anything but green, purple, and gold :D .

I have a thought

I have a thought

Oh, my dear Praline:

You know that I was once a primary school teacher. The "little ones" always come first for many reasons, the important one is that they are the future.

If you don't already have a "red dress pin" from the American Heart Association, let me know and I will send you one of mine. One little pin, less than 1/2 an inch will not clash with the green, purple, and gold.

Do so wish I could be with you in New Orleans during this time of wonder and festivities.

Blanche

Jkm7 said:
I ordered some small red heart lapel pins and when I was in my cardio's office last week, I gave each of the girls one. They seemed to like them.... put them on their tops right away. I left an extra at their desk for my doctor and said I'm sure he wouldn't want this but wouldn't want him to feel left out.

When he came into the examining room to see me, my
cardio had put it on the lapel of his white coat. Made me feel very good that he did that. Very special man and I am so blessed I have him to take care of me.

I thought this was so nice....

My DH had his six month appointment yesterday with our cardio and he again put the pin on his white coat. That's a man with sensitivities IMO He probably knew I'd ask DH if he was wearing it. :)

Bless these wonderful cardios who take such care of us and see us through all we have to deal with.

Back