Getting closer to needing aortic valve repalcement surgery still uninsured living in Thailand

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ETA maybe 6-24 months

58 year old American male living in Asia with Tri cuspid caused by past hypertension and high lipoprotein, asymptomatic, otherwise healthy (vegan, donr, drink, low fat, no caffeine, exercise everyday, low weight, low cholsterol and bllod pressure, take statins) except mild mitral valve prolapse

Still worried as I 100% have to pay for surgery

What kind of unexepected op or post complications might I expect that could significantly raise my cost ?

thanks!

I've got nothing in California.. no family friends Insurance job a car or a place to stay or a doctor so there's no reason to do that. I've also got nobody to take care of me there where is here in Thailand I do have someone to take care of me

ETA maybe 6-24 months

58 year old American male living in Asia with Tri cuspid caused by past hypertension and high lipoprotein, asymptomatic, otherwise healthy (vegan, donr, drink, low fat, no caffeine, exercise everyday, low weight, low cholsterol and bllod pressure, take statins) except mild mitral valve prolapse

Still worried as I 100% have to pay for surgery

What kind of unexepected op or post complications might I expect that could significantly raise my cost ?

thanks!
What kind of unexepected op or post complications might I expect that could significantly raise my cost ? Since it is "unexpected" neither you or us can answer. As far as post complications, they can run the gamut. You've been reading here for years and should already know the potential horror stories. I'd say assume 2x the cost for no complications and then pray :)

What kind of unexepected op or post complications might I expect that could significantly raise my cost ? Since it is "unexpected" neither you or us can answer. As far as post complications, they can run the gamut. You've been reading here for years and should already know the potential horror stories. I'd say assume 2x the cost for no complications and then pray :)
I've read about a list of post-surgical complications but I just like to know the odds. I'm assuming some of the pre-surgical investigations would reveal any post-surgical complications over all my biggest concern is that I've got to pay 100% cash

Deja Vu. I recall many people providing many recommendations last year. Go back and read them as nothing has changed!
Sounds like you're attacking me that's why I've stayed off this board. I'm in a unique situation because I live overseas and they don't cover pre-existing conditions I don't recall running across a single person who is in that situation. I'm still a bit hazy as to all the post-surgical or surgical complications that can occur. It seems like there's a dark energy amongst a lot of people on this website as far as attacking people criticism sarcasm and cynicism that's why I generally stay off the boards.

Go back to California
You simply said go back to California without providing any reason why you're saying that. You should be asking me more questions about my personal situation. I already explained to you before many times that going back to California is it a wise idea for many reasons.

Sounds like you're attacking me that's why I've stayed off this board. I'm in a unique situation because I live overseas and they don't cover pre-existing conditions I don't recall running across a single person who is in that situation. I'm still a bit hazy as to all the post-surgical or surgical complications that can occur. It seems like there's a dark energy amongst a lot of people on this website as far as attacking people criticism sarcasm and cynicism that's why I generally stay off the boards.
Sorry, I tend to be very direct at times. My NY upbringing I guess. Similar to Australia. Direct & honest. I recall many good suggestions for you last year. It appears that your geographical location has not changed and as predicted, your health is slowly getting worse.
It appears that you do not want to return to the US and have inexpensive assistance in Asia, so just stay there, schedule the inevitable, and get er done! Sooner is probably better than later so that you can go back to enjoying life and not constantly worrying about this issue for years. Just Do It!! It's that simple.

I had the following complications:

1) Simple aortic valve replacement turned into a Bentall Procedure, after the surgeon got his eyes on my aorta and made a judgement call.

2) Afib. I went into afib while in ICU following surgery. This is a very common complication and is transitory for most, although some will continue to have episodes following surgery. According to this article, about 50-60% of valve surgery patients will have postoperative afib.

"Approximately 25-40% of patients have postoperative AF (POAF) after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) and 50-60% after valvular surgery. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/p...omplication after,-60% after valvular surgery.

I know that the above complications added to the overall cost, but it is a tangled web to try to figure out by how much. My total cost was about $220k US, of which I had to pay my deductible and insurance picked up the rest. I have about 5 full pages of line item expenses, and virtually impossible to tell which items were for the complications.

You might try to get a quote to see how much extra it will cost if you go into afibas, as it is so common, but not sure that you will be able to pin them down with a number. Afib comes and goes, so the added expense will likely vary depending on how many episodes and what they needed to do to control it.

I've read about a list of post-surgical complications but I just like to know the odds. I'm assuming some of the pre-surgical investigations would reveal any post-surgical complications over all my biggest concern is that I've got to pay 100% cash
Do not stress over what you may not have happen during surgery. If you are otherwise healthy, you should come out of surgery just fine. Dwelling on what might happen stresses your heart, mind and body. Just have the surgery and do not sweat the possible problems that may not even happen. Just relax and feel confident on the surgical team. Complications are so few, no one thinks about them till after surgery. Just relax and destress with a nice walk along a beach there.

There is a fine line between asking questions multiple times expecting new or more information and being a troll. Somehow you expect someone to magically fix your problem and that will not happen.
My understanding of your situation is that you will need aortic valve surgery and you have no insurance and you live in Thailand. You could go back to the US and get insurance under the affordable care act which has a moderately large deductible. You could move to the UK if you can get a visa and have the NHS take care of you. They take all comers. You could stay in Thailand and have it done and pay.
Post OP Complications not inclusive.
DEATH
STROKE
VISUAL PROBLEMS secondary to stroke or direct embolization to the retina
VASCULAR problems
THIRD DEGREE HEART BLOCK requiring a pacemaker
HEART ATTACK
LUNG ISSUES - collapsed lung
PULMONARY EMBOLISM
BLEEDING requiring going back to the operating room.
REACTION to BLOOD PRODUCTS
INFECTION
BRACHIAL PLEXUS injury.
Wound issues.
etc..
So your bill could be significantly more if any of these things happen.
But if you need the valve surgery you will have to take these risks. All of which are relatively low. I have had three open hearts and I have had several of them.
Fortunately I have done OK and other than a pacemaker I came out very functional.

To be fair, newarrior, people are rightly frustrated with seeing the exact same posts year after year from you. Your situation has not changed, except that surgery inches closer. Your apparent willingness to change your living situation has not changed. If you have to pay cash, then you have two options. Save up or arrange financing. What else is there to say about that? Your provider can tell you more about your payment options in Thailand than anyone here can. It’s clear you don’t want to move back the the States, which is fine as well. But what else is there to say? And there have been no major breakthroughs in valve replacement surgery that would alter your options.

It’s fine to converse and vent and whatever, but to ask the same questions over and over…. I guess folks do get frustrated. As though the advice given in good faith in the past is being dismissed out of hand.

There are other things to talk about here. Folks share travel stories. Other health and wellness situations. It’s fine to have a group to talk with and engage with. Just broaden the subject matter. You’re also in a good position to help new folks understand the stresses of a prolonged duration on the “waiting room” so to speak.

if you have an Irish background like an Irish grandparent you can get an Irish Passport which will open up more options for you.
not as many as you may anticipate.

I was unable to access health care in Ireland (or Finland) because I had not resided and paid taxes in Ireland for 2 years. The doors it opened up were EU residency however.

Latest posts

Back