Gastritis and daily aspirin regimen...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeelover

Just wondering if anyone can share experience with gastritis while taking daily aspirin post AVR (with mechanical valve). My gastritis symptoms resolved with Omeprazole.

coffeelover - I haven't had that experience. I take one 81mg, enteric coated aspirin daily.

If you take too much aspirin, it's possible that you can get gastritis. Another important thing to consider about aspirin and other NSAIDS is that they also make your platelets less 'sticky,' causing your clotting to slow down. Although this doesn't show up on a meter, the effects could be dangerous.

Back in 2011 my daugher, who was nine years old at the time, got a mechanical mitral valve. Post-surgery, her cardiologist put her on a daily aspirin in addition to the warfarin. A year later she started having terrible stomach issues, which got so bad that she was frequently vomiting throughout the day and especially after eating. I questioned the cardiologist whether it could be the result of irritation to the stomach lining from the aspirin and told him I wanted to stop it, and he agreed. However, it took multiple diagnostic test and several months before her stomach issues resolved once the aspirin was stopped. I can't be sure the gastritis was caused by the aspirin, but she has not had issues like that since.

Latest posts

Back