gaining weight

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

I have always been thin and have never had to think about weight, but I have gained 16 lbs
in the year following my avr with mechanical.
Seeing this extra flab is freaking me out.
I thought I read that it is hard to take weight
off on coumadin, is this the case?
I exercise 5 days a week, but can't work my upper
stuff due to rotator cuff problem that won't go away. My inr seems to be up then down weekly as
I test with my machine, hasn't been regular
since I started testing weekly instead of monthly
at a lab.
Anyway, my 1 year post op is tomorrow 6/27.
Any suggestions on the losing weight ? is appreciated.
Gail

Are you sure it normal weight gain, and not fluid retention. Maybe you should give the Dr. a call and have it checked out.

Nancy

Hi Gail,

I do not think that Coumadin in itself will cause weight gain. The diet changes that you probably made could however.

Also, if you are taking a beta blocker, or other medication that lowers your blood pressure and also slows your heart rate, the result is a slower body metabolism. If your metablolism is slower, your body does not burn as many calories as in the past to maintain itself. Unless you adjust your food intake to compensate the excess food not burned by the body, it will be stored as fat tissue.

Hope this is helpful to you,

Rob

Last edited:
Me Gain Much

Me Gain Much

Ever since I was 16 years old, I was six feet two inches and 145-150 pounds. A real bean pole. Well, in the 6 months after my surgery, I gained 40-50 pounds. I now hover around 180 pounds and have been that way for 2 years.

I am sure it is related to the surgery some how, but I don't know for sure how. Coumadin is the only medication I take.:confused: :confused:

Hi Gail,

I had been an avid weight lifter and into health and fitness since the early 80's, but slowly but surely the last few years I simply didn't have it in me anymore to maintain that kind of exercise regimen. Even before last year when I found out I had a valve problem I had started gaining weight, and since my surgery I have really tried very hard to get it off, but without much success. I am doing the low carb foodplan and although I am not 100% perfect, I am pretty good at it.
I am on Coumadin (20mg a day) and on HRT/Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy. I really need the HRT because without it I would be miserable. By natural I mean that the medicine is bio- idential to my body and is derived from plant sources.
I have been told that it would be very difficult to lose weight when a person is on birth control pills or is taking HRT.
Anyway, I am not going to worry about it much. I feel grateful to be alive today, and to be feeling as good as I do. The weight will take care of itself eventually. It'll work when we work it!
Take care.

Christina

Hank & Rob

Hank & Rob

For those of you that have not had the pleasure of meeting Hank in person......he's is very much so a "bean pole" ;). Can't imagine him any thinner! I was 30 lighter prior to surgery. My family and friends are happy to see a little extra weight on. I want my old body back, salads included!

Rob, the beta blocker is the culprit for me. I have gained almost 15 lbs since starting it 4 months ago. Yikes. Trying to cut calories and my INR hits the roof! I am definalty exercising now. Swimming laps too.

Latest posts

Back