Full Sedation Dentistry Safe For Us?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niadan1962

I need a deep scaling and filling. Because of the hoops we have to go through ie coumadin check, bridging with lovonox and antibiotics before the procedure, most dental places won't do your whole mouth but want you to come twice or even four different visits! That's why I was considering full sedation and get it all done in one appt. Is there a risk with a heart valve, and stent? It's been almost 9 years since my surgery. I'm going to ask my cardiac PA but wanted other input.

I am not familiar with deep scaling, but a filling does not require anything other than antibiotics. A quick check on line shows deep scaling is a 2x visit not 4x.

Seems odd to have to go off warfarin for a dental procedure. I'd for sure check with a cardiologist and maybe a different dentist too.

Full sedation has its risks. Personally, I'd avoid it.

I've had root planing and scaling on all four quadrants. Each quadrant took about an hour, so it was done in four separate appointments. Four hours would be a long time to spend in a dental chair, and it would be hard on the hygienist too. Given the hassles of bridging and antibiotics, two two-hour appointments could be a good compromise.

I need a deep scaling and filling.

then get it done ...

Because of the hoops we have to go through ie coumadin check, bridging with lovonox and antibiotics before the procedure

surgical procedures yes, fillings drill into teeth which will only bleed if the dentist stuffs things up an hits your nerve. The deep sub gingival scale does not need cessation either. I have NEVER altered my INR process for this which I get done every 6 monts (more or less, sometimes a year but then it gets split into 2 visits)

My dentist (who I've known for some decades now) often remarks that I bleed less than people who simply have bad gums.

most dental places won't do your whole mouth but want you to come twice or even four different visits!

well because its hard work and time consuming. You should get it done per 6 months if like me you're prone to calculus build up.

That's why I was considering full sedation and get it all done in one appt.

I've not heard of that being needed before but I'd strongly advise not having full sedation.

I agree with Tom

I am not familiar with deep scaling, but a filling does not require anything other than antibiotics. A quick check on line shows deep scaling is a 2x visit not 4x.
Full sedation has its risks. Personally, I'd avoid it.

and make sure you get antibiotic cover. Usually just one dose just prior to the procedure.

Best Wishes

Back