Frustrated

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugsy

Knowing my cholesterol runs a little high I ramped up my exercise and altered my diet trying to avoid statins since I'm one of the 5% (so they claim) that gets joint pain. Well the numbers came in:
Cholesterol Total 238
HDL 47
Triglycerides 251
LDL 141
I don't eat sweets but I will have a beer or glass of wine after I get home from work and after exercise and eat healthy most of the time. I lift weights 3 times a week, walk 1 sometimes 2 miles during lunch and jog 2 miles twice a week.
I have a cardiologist appointment coming up and I know he's going to want me to try a statin again. Ugh.

Look into fish oil and lecithin [made from Soya]. If you are on ACT, know that both will alter you INR. Simply test frequently after consuming the goodness and cholesterol busting goodness of these supplements.

Bugsy - There are several statins that could be prescribed. Before my valve surgery I tried several and had to give them up (crestor, zetia, what else?). After surgery they put me on lipitor, and I've tolerated it with no issues. Have you tried "them all?"

When I saw what the PHARMACY said about the combo they had for me at USC.... Let's just say coenzymeQ10. Not sure how Dr.s actually get around the hellish warnings...but if they want to experiment on their own bodies... I'd tell them not to, but...egad there are Dr.s and philosophies and Dr.s with THEIR "philosophies" and I'm sticking AT LEAST to FDA warnings!!!!!! Coenzyme Q10, found most concentrated in the heart, statins deplete this. It's so easy to take...but then that's just ME.... Just a learning consumer like everybody else..... Michelle

When I saw what the PHARMACY said about the combo they had for me at USC.... Let's just say coenzymeQ10. Not sure how Dr.s actually get around the hellish warnings...but if they want to experiment on their own bodies... I'd tell them not to, but...egad there are Dr.s and philosophies and Dr.s with THEIR "philosophies" and I'm sticking AT LEAST to FDA warnings!!!!!! Coenzyme Q10, found most concentrated in the heart, statins deplete this. It's so easy to take...but then that's just ME.... Just a learning consumer like everybody else..... Michelle

What are you saying ????????????
Good or Bad ?.......It works for me!!!!

Bugsy
Sometimes it is not always about your diet or life style. My 26 y/o daughter was started on Crestor 20mg and Tricor 145mg at age 22. She had a Cholesterol of 985. The Doctor told her it was hereditary, as my grandfather and my Mom ran over 500. She ate a good diet, was not over-weight at that time, although exercise was limited by her disability.... to mostly walking.
6 months ago, her doctor had to increase the Crestor to 40mg....her cholesterol was still close to 400. Sometimes....we really need a pill to help our body.
I on the other hand, have a cholesterol of 135 ( go figure!)........I didn't inherit the problem......just CVD, and a BAV....which led to my AVR and Triple bypass on April 14, 2011.
Michelle has never had any side effects from her Cholesterol meds......and even if she had.....we would have to choose life, over dealing with side effects. It is like....picking the lesser of 2 evils.
Good luck with this.........sending you well wishes and positive thoughts !!
Renee
Go Team 2011 !!!!!

Hm...maybe I didn't put that right! They wanted me in statins that had a HUGE clear warning NOT to take it d
With Amiamerode., warnings that went back to 1980about rhamydosis(sp?) especially with the Amioreronne they had me in 40o mg, twice the dire warning amount.! I read blogs about people who had gotten this horrible muscle rhino, and many if them were BEGGING that the world listen to the warnings as they were personally, permanently, affected.
Hence, I dropped the statins and went back to my much beloved Coenzyme Q10. I have zero plaque in my arteries, and the places that the radiation damaged over 40 years ago had no built up cholesterol or anything else recognizable...more like what 's called Apatitie(type of actual ROCK) the loves to get into the ostuim of the RCA, they say it's like tooth material....and my ruined aortic valve, twisted beyond recognition...had no plaque on it either,...not even ...what ALL of us saw on the Doppler, which was a ring what looked like like calcium deposits...not a one found on the valve!! So, for me, sticking to CoenzmeQ10 and maye some niacin...is the ticket. Do read the time print, however, re your statins.....it does deplete your heart's store of CoenzmeQ10 and it just takes one a day to keep your heart from getting into all those dangerous "side effects..."! It's a really simple insurance policy , so it's not an "either/or" more like a "both/and" so you don't have to atop your statins!!!! CoenzymeQ10 just acts as an insurance policy......hope that helps!!! Michelle mar

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I eat steel cut oatmeal with walnuts every morning and tried fish oil but it didn't do much. Maybe I'll try a statin again with the COq10.

Latest posts

Back