Frequent Crying

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shaz

Another side effect I've noticed post-op is that I cry very easily...and let me tell you, when you've had your sternum sawed in two, crying is the last thing you want to be doing. A few times, my emotions were totally out of my control. I brought this to my cardio's attention and he said that when your body goes through a surgery like this, every part of you is affected and your adreneline is totally zapped. It takes time for all of the different levels in your body to return to normal. I'm 8 1/2 weeks post-op now and have more control over my emotions, but for awhile, I didn't know why I was so emotional and that frustrated me. But having an answer for why really helped me to cope.

Another one, by golly! Not to worry, you will have to get through it tho as it is a very common side effect with heart patients - as others who come in next will tell you. Depression - depression - depression. Your doctor should have told you that this is what it is, in no uncertain terms. His explanation of balances, etc equal depression in common terms and you WILL get past it. Just hang in and cry if you feel like it. All things come in good time.

That's not to say you shouldn't unload in here, tho as that's what we are about. Tell us anything you want and we are here to listen and offer a shoulder when you want or need one. Check into Janie's post called "Things" and you will see how we can get it all out and gain strength from each other. God bless:)

Last edited:
I haven't felt all that depressed. In fact, I've tried to be very aware of it because my research told me it was common. Plus I meditate and do yoga (or did before the surgery - just starting to get back into it) It's just certain things will trigger an emotional outburst. I've had a very positive attitude since the surgery, afterall, it saved my life. It's usually something that seems small, like having an IV put in. For my cardiac aversion, the nurse tried 3 times to get an IV and missed and I just burst into tears and bawled like crazy. Finally another nurse got it in on her first try. Another time, my roommate said something to me (it was so insignificant that I don't even remember what it was) but again, I lost it. Luckily I have cable TV so I could avoid the constant news coverage of the tragedy, because that also made me cry. Animal Planet was on my TV all of my waking hours. Anyway, I am getting better...I'll still get misty-eyed when I see or hear certain things, but I like to attribute that to the return of my compassion for others. Thanks for your words of encouragement!

Hi Shaz.
For me, heart surgery brought everything up to the forefront. Things that used to bother me no longer did. Things I wouldn't normally give a glance to, dwelled on my mind for hours.

If you look at surgery like a big bucket of water and someone picks up that bucket and swings it around, it takes some time for the water to re-settle itself. A lot of emotions, strange thoughts and actions float around for a while.

As long as there aren't any holes in that bucket, you'll be just fine.

Each of us heals at different rates because we all have different circumstances. Remember, it's not only the flesh that has to heal - this event shakes you to the core.

It takes some time to regain confidence and learn to live with the realization of just how precious and fragile life is.

Try not to be upset about being upset. Think of it as your body repairing itself.
Kev

Hi Shaz, welcome

Hi Shaz, welcome

You've found a terrific site. Everyone here is friendly and very caring. All understand what you're going through and all here who have had this surgery are the greatest heroes, real inspirations. Also the significant others, of which I am one are heroic in their own rights.

My husband Joe has had 5 thoracic surgeries. Three open heart and two lung. He has two mechanical valves and just had a repair on his mitral valve. He also has a pacemaker.

After every one of these surgeries, there is a period of raw feelings, both physical and emotional. It's unavoidable. The body takes a real beating. But due to the phenomenal healing properties of the body, in time, most all of these feelings will go away or at least subside significantly. Some have lingering depression, but this can be treated with antidepressants if necessary. It might not even be an emotional problem, but something physical which might be caused by the operation itself. I think there is some research to that effect.

The wonderful news is that these operations are lifesaving and in years past, valve patients would have died. Be kind to yourself. Allow your body to heal. It's working hard every day to do that. It takes massive amounts of energy to recover and will take a little time, but each day will get better and better. There might be little fires to put out from time to time, but that's all normal and part of the healing process.

I wish you continued good healing and hope to see your posts frequently. Ask, vent, anything you want. We'll all try our best to help and give you friendship.

Exactly how I feel!

Exactly how I feel!

You are sooo right! I'm looking at life a little differently these days...things that used to tick me off aren't that important anymore. Pre-surgery, I was a very type-A personality...I had to perform and be at my best at all times and that is very stressful. I'm overall less stressed than I was before the surgery. I'm much calmer and nicer to people and to myself! I've taken up quiet activities such as quilting. Although I've had a number of complications, I believe this surgery really changed my perception for the better. I hope other people feel the same way about their surgeries.

Shaz, I think many of us can agree with you that our surgery changed our outlook on life. We don't take it for granted anymore. We love more, understand more, empathize more. We have been to the edge and got back so we know how precious life is. I have heard it said in this site many times. God bless

Thanks...

Thanks...

Thanks to all of you for understanding. I've already drawn so much from this site in just the few days that I've been here. I will definitely be coming here often, but I am in the middle of a move and it might be a few days before I can come back. I wish all of you health and happiness in the meantime!

It's eight months later for me and I still cry at the drop of a hat. But I'll tell you what overwhelms me the moist ( a typo but I decided to leave it alone) is a feeling of gratitude for life. It's good to genuinely feel, dontchathink?

Moist fit just right! It is awesome what we have all experienced and didn't know ahead that we were going to! And to be able to spread it around.......

Shaz

Shaz

I used to stress about even the littlest things, I don't care now. Stressing is out. You are doing great. I am almost three months post op and am improving daily. I didn't stress so no crying but surgery does take a lot out of you and take some time to get back to normal. I am still recovering after all this time. Physically, doing well, mentally, still adjusting. But it will pass, in time, I know. Keep hanging in there.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Let yourself cry if you feel like crying, don't hold it in, and please don't beat yourself up about it.

You HAVE been through a traumatic experience and it takes a toll on your body. Crying is one of the best things you can do to relieve the stress.

I was all messed up when I came out of it. I sat and cried for absolutely no reason at all. It's a perfectly normal response.

Heck, going on 7 years since surgery, and I still cry at the drop of a hat sometimes. Still don't know why, but I do! ;)

Latest posts

Back