frequency of echos post surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phyllis

I'm wondering what the concensus is on the frequency of echos, post surgery. Dick has his yearly cardio appt. coming in August (it was canceled by the cardio twice in the last 3 weeks). He is balking at the idea of having another echo (last one was a year ago) and claims, that if the heart sounds good, ekg is good, no symptoms, there is no need. I found this guidline on the AHA site- any opinions?
. Follow-up Visits in Patients Without Complications
Patients who have undergone valve replacement are not cured but still have serious heart disease. They have exchanged native valve disease for prosthetic valve disease and must be followed with the same care as patients with native valvular disease.

"The asymptomatic patient without complications needs to be seen only at 1-year intervals. The frequency with which 2-D and Doppler echocardiography should be performed routinely in patients without complications is uncertain, and there are no data on which to base this decision. The committee did not reach consensus on this issue. The majority recommended no further echocardiographic testing after the initial postoperative evaluation in patients with mechanical valves whose condition is stable and who have no symptoms or clinical evidence of LV dysfunction, prosthetic valve dysfunction, or dysfunction of other heart valves in keeping with the ACC/AHA Guidelines for the Clinical Application of Echocardiography.2 The committee also failed to reach consensus about serial echocardiography in patients with bioprosthetic valves, who have an increasing risk of structural deterioration of the valve after 5 years in the mitral position and 8 years in the aortic position. A minority opinion recommended annual echocardiography, whereas the majority recommended detailed histories and cardiac physical examinations with echocardiography when dictated by clinical circumstances, such as a regurgitant murmur or a change in symptoms. Once regurgitation is detected, close follow-up with 2-D and Doppler echocardiography every 3 to 6 months is indicated. The committee agreed that echocardiography is indicated for any patient with a prosthetic heart valve whenever there is evidence of a new murmur, there are questions of prosthetic valve integrity and function, or there are concerns about ventricular function."

My husband had his 1st echo 6 months after surgery and he sees his cardio once a year but only has an echo every other year. I guess if his doctor thought there was any change in his heart sounds maybe he would do an echo every year. I think I would feel better if he had them yearly. He has a mechanical aortic valve.

My cardiologist has one done yearly. I'm coming up to scheduling after Monday for this years. Hold on to your seats gang, this could be fun. :(

pgruskin said:
I'm wondering what the concensus is on the frequency of echos, post surgery. Dick has his yearly cardio appt. coming in August (it was canceled by the cardio twice in the last 3 weeks). He is balking at the idea of having another echo (last one was a year ago) and claims, that if the heart sounds good, ekg is good, no symptoms, there is no need. I found this guidline on the AHA site- any opinions?

Umm don't think I am qualified to answer this as Andrew has had two echo's since surgery and will have another one this Thursday and quite likely another one at his follow up visit with his cardiologist. But he's complex and had the MI which is what they are watching now. We at one point got to only have yearly echos. Didn't last long though.

What can it hurt to do it once a year though? Does he hate them that much?

Phyllis:

I had my last echo in February, which was about 8 months after surgery. I did a lipid profile in May to make sure everything was OK, but my cardio didn't even see me. I'm scheduled for a follow-up in September. He didn't mention an echo. I had a bad case of vertigo about a month ago when I woke up in the morning. It was gone by the time I got to the emergency room. They did a CT scan and other stuff but couldn't find anything. I've been fine since. The Doc listened to my heart and said he could hear a murmur, but didn't seem concerned. I told my cardio about the vertigo and murmur and he didn't seem concerned, either. I've been feeling fine. Still play singles tennis 5 days a week. I come home drenched with sweat, but recover quickly. I never could have done it before the surgery. I was having problems before, even in the cooler weather. The heat index has been hovering around 100 for the past two weeks. We need a break! But still not as bad as St. Pete. I only played once down there.

This is my first time back to VR since the first part of June. Lots of new names and experiences. It seems so long ago that I was experiencing all that. Well, got to go.

Randy :)

Looks like the ACC is split, with the majority saying have one annually after eight years, or if a regurgitant murmur is heard by stethoscope. Presumably if other change is noted as well.

Tissue valves fail pretty slowly, and make noise as they do it. If he's going annually for a cardiology checkup, but doesn't want the echo, he seems to be in line with the majority ACC view.

He had a simple case, a quick recovery, and no complications. Not everyone has his smooth history, or could reasonably take this course of action. However, he would qualify for it, if anyone did.

Best wishes,

Thanks for all your replies. I will let you know what the cardio has to say after Dick's visit, but I now feel more comfortable with the idea that as long as there are no murmers, symptoms, and a normal ekg, he can forego the echo. Don't really know why he is so resistant, other than the fact that he feels fine and wants to leave it all behind him.
Sorry to hear about the vertigo, Randy, but I'm glad it was not heart related. You and Dick are poster boys for tennis after AVR. You may not have felt as good before surgery, but I'm sure your fine conditioning is what pulled you through with few problems. :)
Phyllis

I'll find out what Jim's cardio thinks when we see him in a couple of weeks. Jim last had an echo in January 2004 (1 month post-op) - we'll be seeing his cardio 20 months (to the day) post-op. I'd like him to get an echo mainly to see how big his left ventricle is now (and hopefully add weight to our "stop the ramipril" campaign ;) ).

I was going to say it lengthens out as time passes after replacement but having read everyones replies, I guess they must keep a closer eye on children then, as Chloe has had her mitral valve replacement for 4 years now but only this recent appointment has now been put onto yearly checkups and echos. She was first 6 monthly, then 9 monthly. Perhaps as her left ventricle was still very enlarged though - enalapril has now sorted that out now and the ventricle (in fact the whole heart) is back within 'normal range'.

Gemma, was shocked that Jim hasnt has an echo in a year and a half - is that normal?! I suppose I only see it from the mummy point of view where I like it to be checked at least yearly for my peace of mind.

Emma
xxx

Echos

Echos

I had my first echo after 2 weeks post op (2001). The 3 month check up didn't give any reason to require another echo. The 2002 12 month checkup didn't require an echo as again everything sounded normal. The 2003 checkup went the same way as the 2002, but come back in 2005 and we will have an echo.
Had that checkup yesterday. Everything must have been fine, as I got a compete discharge, and to contact them if I think anything might be wrong. So I had two echos in 4 years followed by a discharge !
Paul

Mine does one yearly now. I'm on the schedule for Aug 10th. Cardio said he didn't expect any surprises, as everything sounds fine.

I had echos every six months for the first year after my surgery. By that time the enlargement of my left ventricle had decreased to be less than the margin of error of the echo. Since then I've been on a every other year schedule (next one is coming up in October).

Mark

Ross said:
Mine does one yearly now. I'm on the schedule for Aug 10th. Cardio said he didn't expect any surprises, as everything sounds fine.

Hey Ross that is the same day Andrew is seeing his cardio and having another echo. I'll be thinking of you. :cool:

I too am interested in seeing how folks respond back. I'm approaching 2 years post op and had a visit this past Monday with my cardio. I'm not scheduled to see him again until next January. He idicated that he saw no reason to have an echo at this point, but we'll discuss again in January. My last echo was the day I was dischargedfrom the hospital, which was 5 days after surgery. I do have a regularly scheduled appointments with my cardio every 6 months.

I guess I'm more curious than he is at this point. In my head, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have one every year just to keep an eye on it. At this point, he doesn't seem to see it the same way. Since he the guy with the training and experience, I'm following his lead. If I see that other are doing them with some frequency, I may call and ask that we schedule one for the January visit.

This past Jan we requested to see the Cardio because Jerry felt he a had a little SOB. They didn't order an echo prior to the office visit, but when he told the dr about the SOB he ordered an echo and stress test. That's when they found the 5.3 aneurysm, followed with a TEE and different kind of stress test. He has since had a CT and will have another in Sept.

If we hadn't pursued an appointment ourselves and mentioned the SOB Jerry would for sure be a walking time bomb. He still is, but at least we know about it and are monitoring it.

Seems to me they should do an echo every year on anyone who has had valve surgery.

Every year..The next one will be Nov 21st and see the Cardio a week later. I also see him every 6 months for about 5 minutes. :p Bonnie

I had an echo 3 days after surgery then another 6 weeks after surgery, this second echo showed the right side of the heart had already returned to almost normal and the left side was also showing significant improvement.
I was told I would need another echo in 12 months that will be this December and by then hopefully my heart function will had returned to completely normal.

once a year for me

once a year for me

pgruskin said:
. Follow-up Visits in Patients Without Complications
Patients who have undergone valve replacement are not cured but still have serious heart disease. They have exchanged native valve disease for prosthetic valve disease and must be followed with the same care as patients with native valvular disease.

"The asymptomatic patient without complications needs to be seen only at 1-year intervals. The frequency with which 2-D and Doppler echocardiography should be performed routinely in patients without complications is uncertain, and there are no data on which to base this decision. The committee did not reach consensus on this issue. The majority recommended no further echocardiographic testing after the initial postoperative evaluation in patients with mechanical valves whose condition is stable and who have no symptoms or clinical evidence of LV dysfunction, prosthetic valve dysfunction, or dysfunction of other heart valves in keeping with the ACC/AHA Guidelines for the Clinical Application of Echocardiography.2 The committee also failed to reach consensus about serial echocardiography in patients with bioprosthetic valves, who have an increasing risk of structural deterioration of the valve after 5 years in the mitral position and 8 years in the aortic position. A minority opinion recommended annual echocardiography, whereas the majority recommended detailed histories and cardiac physical examinations with echocardiography when dictated by clinical circumstances, such as a regurgitant murmur or a change in symptoms. Once regurgitation is detected, close follow-up with 2-D and Doppler echocardiography every 3 to 6 months is indicated. The committee agreed that echocardiography is indicated for any patient with a prosthetic heart valve whenever there is evidence of a new murmur, there are questions of prosthetic valve integrity and function, or there are concerns about ventricular function."

I am 7 weeks post op and go for my second one since surgery. I had one before I left the hospital at around 4 days but it was a gentle one, no pushing on the incision etc. The Dr, says he need to have this one done as a bench mark but that I will have them yearly. I feel better knowing they will be done. Each year will like a new lease on life when they say all is well. Or when watching the numbers go down you have an idea on when something will need to be done again. I had one done yearly for 5 yrs before this operation. It is a good guideline for the Dr.

Latest posts

Back