Four Months Post OP

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lancashirelad

Hi Guys

Its lancashire lad again. Just writing to say that 4 months following my ROSS i ma doing well. I am progressing gradually but because of my condition prior to surgery i was unable to exercise therefote i am now discovering that i am totally unfit and de-conditioned. I am getting out as much as poss but it is a bit frustrating. I wonder if anyone had any advice regarding regaining fitness because my heart is now fully fixed and ready? I am also having real problems with my short term memory, vocab and concentration, is all this normal and does it correct itself cause i am due to restart uni in oct 2002. I have just returned from a 5 day trip to Birmingham (Place of uni) which i really enjoyed. I ave been at home for 3 months and was getting v down, frustrated & lonely cause of missing uni & all my friends who all have gone a yr ahead of me. It was the first trip i have made since my op and it has done my confidance the world of good, but my illness knocked all my confidence out of me and i found that going out to the pub for the first time in a yr with my uni friends was v difficult cause i had "forgotten what to do". The real highlight of the trip was my first pint of GUINNESS in 8 months, and boy did it taste very good indeed!!!

It has been very hard missing a year of uni and seeing uni and my friends again only emphasised that. But now i know what i am aiming for which has given me fresh determinination. I have come to realise that there are things that take much longer to heal than the scars and in my case more of an impact of my life, something which some doctors dont seem to recognise despite seeing patients like us all the time. Even though the months ahead wont be easy i am still alive and well and fighting on and will never give up. I am v v v lucky to be in the position that i am and i hope that i will be able to pass on my experiences and help to others who find themselves in this kind of situation. (if any one from the UK wants to contact me they can via email [email protected])

I hope you r all well and you have my love and best wishes as well as my full admiration.

Lots of Love

Lancashire Lad

Hi Lancashirelad

Hi Lancashirelad

Good to hear from you again.

My husband Joe, like you mentioned about yourself, was in pretty bad shape prior to his last surgery. His muscle tone was zip and his stamina was totally gone. It was hard for him, because he was always in shape. He got very thin.

When he finally started exercising with small weights, I was amazed that they came back in a matter of maybe 2 weeks. He was shocked too. I mentioned it here on the site, and several body builders said that this was how it works, the muscles have memory.

Joe's a little older than you, 70 to be exact, but he uses the treadmill and we bought a 3 station home gym. It's helped tremendously.

Joe's short term memory, concentration and vocabulary also were elusive, but lots of that has returned. He's 7 months post op now.

I think the very good news is that if you start to work at it, things will fall into place.

It's wonderful that your heart is doing well.

I wish you good luck and be well. You'll be fine by the time you go to uni.

Glad you are ok

Glad you are ok

Hi Simon,
the space cadet feeling after your kind of operation is common.I also had problems with vocabulary...and had mad mood swings, easy to anger, and cry, and laugh hysterically! (which hurt a lot!)
Going back to uni will be hard, but worth it. I was half way thru a masters in ethnomusicology at Goldsmith's college when I had my op, but It really took my mind of 'recovering' and gloomy thoughts to be able to panic about exams and essays and stuff!!!!
Also, the year below me, a girl had to to take a year out for hodgkins disease...She recovered and did really well in her final exams. You're friends will be there, and if you fancy, no doubt you can creep into their lectures and get a head start on yourself!...They can also help you with coursework.... And you'll have other new friends too from the year lower.At Goldsmiths we ( the first and second years on the course) met up for seminars, drinks, studygroups...we all benefitted from this...its a good way to learn anyway, even if you have to sort it out yourself.
What subjects are u studying at Brum?and where in Lancashire r u from?
Your experience with a life threatening operation has already added to the 'education' of everyone who knows and loves you and all those who you will meet who don't know what the future holds for them...
I'm not much into royalty, but when Princess Di died I had a bloody good cry, coz I'd just come out of heart surgery and was at home living life to the max with my daughter, and her kids would never see her again.She was my age and fit and healthy.
I don't know if empathy can be felt by everyone...I think perhaps you have had to have experienced something to be able to truly empathise with others.You are going to be a special person thruout your life because of this experience...you'll be able to understand when people are scared, and if they are scared of small things you'll be able to say that, without undermining how they are feeling.
Yuk, this email just took a turn towards the shmaltsy...
Sorry!
Simon, as Mr Spock says 'Live long and prosper'
enjoy uni..you'll be strong by october.
While you are recuperating, give yourself a head start...read all those course books.
Be a star on your course, and give everyone the wherewithall to do good even if they' re feeling shitty.
When life gets ordinary again I think you'll probably still have that capacity to empathise.
Best wishes for your future happy life.
Love Debs xxx
email [email protected]

Latest posts

Back