forward /backward recovery patterns

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

krisabbott

Mom'(young 78)surgery was last April. Went very well. July she felt great and is now noticing fatigue and shortness of breath. Doctors say all is well and no concerns. Do forward backward patterns occur during recovery? thanks folks

Have to ask the obvious question. If all is well, according to the docs, then what do they think may be wrong? Does she have any fluid retention, i.e., swelling of feet and ankles, poochy stomach area, unexpected weight gain? Is she on diuretics?

Sounds like she needs some testing.

Last edited:
Hi Nancy, thankyou for your reply. There is no swelling or symptoms of anything. She actually looks great. She just says she doesn't feel as well as she did in July. (surg in April) When they did the surgery, they were surprised to see the condition of her lungs from many past years of smoking. It has been 10 years now since she quit but they told her that her lungs were an influence in the outcome of the surgery. Her lungs were the toughest to get going after surgery and she has been told several times to religiously do her breathing exercises. I am not a doctor, nor do I want to alarm my mom. Interested in the long term healing process. I know some people say it takes a long time to recover and she is afterall 78..she rides 6 miles a day on her work out bike now and has both healthy mind and lifestyle.
If she is meeting the specs of the medical side of things, are there ups and downs to the long term healing process? Your concern is noted though, I fully agree in monitoring the situation.

It certainly seems that everything for the most part is coming along very well.

Shortness of breath and fatigue, if they are new, are however, signs which need to be watched. They could be lots of things, asthma, lung problems, Congestive heart Failure or just plain being tired.

If it were my husband, he has had three open heart surgeries and two lung surgeries, I would be watching him carefully.

Not that I want to alarm anyone, but with people who have had heart surgery, everything means something.

There is something called a Peak Flow Meter, which can measure the lung volume every day and you can chart it. That way you would have a record of lung performance and would be able to see if there is indeed a trend.

If the doctors are not concerned, it's probably just one of those things, but you keep an eye on her anyway.

Hi Nancy. Thank you very much. You are definitely right for reminding me of the importance of monitoring. Your husband is very lucky to have such a smart and caring wife!

Doctors have saved my husband's life many, many times. But they don't love Joe the way I do, and that is true for your mom.

They have many patients, you only have one mom.

A good thing to keep in mind.

There is always room for an extra set of eyes, and if it comes to reporting things to the doctor, it's good to have things written down so you don't forget. Observations do count.

Back