Forum content question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctyguy

I'm posting to get feedback from folks regarding the content of this forum. I was reading through several posts that were completely unrelated to the traditional forum content and it seems that some of these postings caused various levels of anxiety for some have have genuinely offended others.

I curious to know what others think. Do most folks not want to start conversations that don't relate to heart issues ? I saw Bonzo posted something that was a satire oriented link and while it didn't seem anyone was genuinely offended, it may have rubbed a few folks the wrong way (personally I wasn't). I've also read about the infamous "pot" thread so I went back and hunted for it so I could see for myself what all the hubub was about. Im a pretty liberal guy with a lawyer streak in me deep down so I tend to rather enjoy debating various issues. I considered putting a thread out there to get folks opinions about the Presidential elections coming up. I wanted to get the opinions of not only the Americans within the forum but also those that are members from other countries. Based on what I have read we have a folks of all shapes and sizes within this forum. Many who are conservative as well as many who are liberal and everything in between. Thats what makes posting hot-button topics so interesting, you get feedback from folks who have a perspective that might make you pause and think about and even re-assess your own opinion. But I don't want to get beat up for posting something that might cause undies to bunch. I think this forum is absolultely invaluable for folks that are facing heart surgery as well as those that have been through it and are in need of support. I know without this site my procedure would have been much more stressful.

Im going to climb back under my desk now as a precaution....

I find it refreshing that controversial subjects are discouraged. Much of the internet thrives on the controversial and sensational. In my opinion, there are plenty of avenues for those types of discussions.

Here is how it is, we don't care too much about whats talked about so long as it can be done in an adult manor. When things errupt into member flaming member, then this is where the trouble begins. Don't get me wrong, you may argue until your blue in the face, just don't become flaming or insulting about it. Now personally, as the one that has to deal with the messes, I'd rather not see or hear it, but that is my opinion and not those of the other members.
I must say that of all the times I've encountered political or religious threads, they've erupted into an uncontrollable train wreck with in no time flat.

If it gets nasty, I'll have to deal with it and no one likes it when that happens. The no no conversations are anything against the law, vulgarity, the usual common sense stuff.

cid_000901c60152d10639b03e5d543ahom.gif

I must add that it would have to stay in small talk and not be so disruptive as to draw all the attention way from others in here seeking help. As Hank puts it:
"Here is where you can discuss topics not covered by the other forums. Please be mindful of the fact that we are a medical support site for Valve Replacement Surgery."

I find it refreshing that controversial subjects are discouraged. Much of the internet thrives on the controversial and sensational. In my opinion, there are plenty of avenues for those types of discussions.

I agree completely. I think the primary benefit of "small talk" is to create/foster more of a "community" where you people get a chance to know a little more about each other, and give a better "context" for communications across the other forums.

This site IS invaluable, no question about it.
For some people, OHS can be a mind boogleing experience before and after surgery and
having a good chuckle or laugh lightens ones burden of questions - its good for the soul.
Sometimes we do have to lighten up, take a step back and breath.
Personally, I wouldn't make a comment (post) about politics, race or anything in between - "Hot Button" topics only result in anger, hurt feelings and removal from the forum. Its not worth it.
JMO

Quite awhile ago Ross actually moved Small Talk down in the list of forum subjects so that it would be in a less noticable position on the Forums page. That was a good move. Too many people were pushing the good intentions of this place... some newbies were jumping onto it to cause trouble, etc..

While I totally see and can relate to the intellectual curiosity aspect of your initial querry, I am going to have to agree with others so far; that my hope is that those who really need/want that kind of banter will go elsewhere. If we offend someone on one of those hot Small Talks, and they walk away..... we may lose alot of valuable information that they have posted in the pertinent threads.

We are a heart community. We are a support community. Making bonds includes some subjects that are not particularly connected; other family troubles that cause stress in an already stressful time.... photographs that may allow us some departure from our stress .... jokes that may alleviate our momentary self-absorption. You get it.

But we have a really intersting group of people here!!!!!!! And I agree ... it would be fun to banter. But I think more importantly, we need to protect what we have.

IMO.

:) Marguerite

.......................................................... If it gets nasty, I'll have to deal with it and no one likes it when that happens. The no no conversations are anything against the law, vulgarity, the usual common sense stuff. ...................................

..................... and anything vaguely likely to be deemed unpalatable to American patriots.........

(Runs and hides lest the Rossman snatch squad spirits him away to Guantanamo Bay) :D

I did something new and refreshing and actually put on my thinking cap before posting?.I went to the home page and read the description of each forum and each said something about heart surgery or health or was in some way related to heart issues?.As Ross said it is pretty much open as long as it remains adult and in the proper spirit?..

That being said I do not see how political discussions fit in?.not saying they don?t I just don?t see it?.We have some rather out spoken, spirited members (myself included) that don?t mind jumping on a controversial band wagon?.Anything posted to intentially stir the pot IMHO is not needed?..I have been as guilty as anyone and more so than most of throwing a few stones and have recently tried to think before I speak?..We all need to remember why we are here?..there are a multitude of forums for every topic under the sun available on the net??this one is for the heart.

..................... and anything vaguely likely to be deemed unpalatable to American patriots.........

(Runs and hides lest the Rossman snatch squad spirits him away to Guantanamo Bay) :D

Oh Bonzo dawlin' -- might that be known as "English food"...:eek::D

(Runs and hides lest the Englishman snatch (ah hah, another word with an ambiguous meaning...:D) squad spirits her away to Guantanamo Bay):eek:

I have yet to figure out how people can get their knickers in a wad on this website when you've yet to lay eyes on the person you disagree with..:confused: I've been to more than a few reunions and quickly realized that some folks have an "Internet personality" which differs greatly from their in-person personality. I like their real personality better...course I'm a people-person.

we are all in agreement with the value of this forum, have said so and I won't repeat what we all already know.

However..........

Politics has been a sore spot in the past. So we just don't do it - the very mention does cause underwear bunches by the score.

As for religion, we let others know we are praying for them and keep it at that. They know what we mean.

We have had a few members leave us in anger because of hurt feelings or assumed insults and that just doesn't do. We need to keep us all right here for what VR stands for.

Blessins..........

I have to agree with the others.
This a great forum for heart valve patients. I felt from the start that all I can and should do is relate to newcomers my personal experience. Also try to calm the fears of a lot of people.
I don't want to see this become a place for politics, religion, etc.
Let's stay focused on what this site is all about. A lot of newcomers may not realize the value of this site compared to when a lot of us were facing surgery.
Info for us back then was almost non-existent.
As far as the small talk forum goes, this has become a place where a number of us have made friends. Although I havn't met a lot of my friends here in person, I can assure you they will be considered my friends for life.

Rich

This is for Ross. As you may know, I am the president of our local school board. That means I work long hours for free, making a lot of difficult decisions to the best of my ability. What I get for this is the chance to read someone's shot at me every few months in our local paper. I am sure there are many others around here in similar circumstances, and I hope you never lose sight of how many of us greatly appreciate your efforts on our behalf.

This is for Ross. As you may know, I am the president of our local school board. That means I work long hours for free, making a lot of difficult decisions to the best of my ability. What I get for this is the chance to read someone's shot at me every few months in our local paper. I am sure there are many others around here in similar circumstances, and I hope you never lose sight of how many of us greatly appreciate your efforts on our behalf.

Thank you Dennis. I have to say that sometimes it gets really old, but when I start feeling totally grumpy about everything, I just shut this thing off and walk away for a while. Sometimes a day or so.

Dennis I too greatly appreciate the effort Ross puts in and have told him so. I would also be on the liberal wing when it comes to content posted in Small Talk. The two positions are not exclusive. :)

okie dokie....seems like the responses I've gotten thus far has been unanimous and certainly I understand and respect those opinions. Certainly I don't want to have anyone lose sight of what this forum is intended for. Its a wonderful resource and first and foremost the goal of helping others who face heart related issues needs to be absolutely priority #1.

Thats why I posted my question in the Small Talk forum as I didn't want to place it in a location where it didn't belong.

Also....I concur with all of you regarding Ross's management of the site, its frist class all the way.

My experience

My experience

One of the most contentious threads I was ever involved in dealt with an issue that started in Small Talk.

As the Small Talk "fluff" thread generated more views, and more replies than most pre-surgery threads, I suggested that our priorities should be rethought.

I was whacked so hard by the original thread starter that I spent most of the night deleting my posts in anticipation of leaving the website. I got tired after removing 300+ (I think I still had a few thousand to go):eek:, and since my own surgery was less than a few weeks away, I decided the prudent decision was to stay the course. Most of the time I believe I made the right decision in choosing to stay.:rolleyes:

Although I enjoy reading threads in Small Talk that often stray from VR's heart mission, I don't like it when other forums suffer as a result. I believe Ross has a good handle on what needs to go, what needs to stay.

Finally I would like to mention that the member I had such a miserable encounter with is someone I now consider a friend, and one I communicate with off the site. The experience taught me that all reconcilliations are possible.:)

Frankly, I enjoy the Small Talk forum. I have a very sarcastic sense of humor, and often am surprised when someone tells me that something is rude because I just think they are being sarcastic too! In the rare case that something offends me, I close it and go to another post. The only time I will get out my flame thrower is when I feel I am personally attacked. Then I have to step back and remind myself to "put on my big girl panties and deal with it"!
y1705_125.gif
censored by Ross

:D:D:D So, I'm Baptist, first voted for Reagan, but also voted for Kinky, have a mechanical valve, but think Warfarin's a breeze, tried pot a few times in my teens, but didn't inhale, have been known to eat spinach, but balance it with alcohol, think the English are weird, but love America even though the guys in Washington often piss me off!!! :D:D:D

There, did I hit all the bad subjects? Three smilies on each end because that's supposed to be a joke! Parts of it are true, but I'll never tell which parts!

I, too, think Ross is doing a great job, and if he censors any of my posts, I'll understand!

Frankly, I enjoy the Small Talk forum. I have a very sarcastic sense of humor, and often am surprised when someone tells me that something is rude because I just think they are being sarcastic too! In the rare case that something offends me, I close it and go to another post. The only time I will get out my flame thrower is when I feel I am personally attacked. Then I have to step back and remind myself to "put on my big girl panties and deal with it"!

:D:D:D So, I'm Baptist, first voted for Reagan, but also voted for Kinky, have a mechanical valve, but think Warfarin's a breeze, tried pot a few times in my teens, but didn't inhale, have been known to eat spinach, but balance it with alcohol, think the English are weird, but love America even though the guys in Washington often piss me off!!! :D:D:D

There, did I hit all the bad subjects? Three smilies on each end because that's supposed to be a joke! Parts of it are true, but I'll never tell which parts!

I, too, think Ross is doing a great job, and if he censors any of my posts, I'll understand!

Two questions. Number one, are you married? And number two, if you are, are you happy?:D;););)

Cooker, it depends on how Hot you are and/or how much alcohol I've had!!!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back