For those who have had mechanical for years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinalovescats

I'd like to say thank you for being inspiring and supportive of the newbies.

I still have my moments as I'm almost 6 months out,but what advice would you give to others like me?

Trinalovescats;n869544 said:
I still have my moments as I'm almost 6 months out,but what advice would you give to others like me?

try not to get anxious about the ticking, its OK to hate it some times, but when you notice it, try to recall that its been X time since you didn't ...

spend a bit of time getting to know your INR, keep a journal (or better yet a spread sheet) and make a hobby out of managing your INR, keep it neat like a garden

don't obsess about foods having vitamin K (you may back this up with your journal)

don't hit your thumb with the hammer when doing house renos (cos it fukkenhurts)

if you can dedicate time to walks and try to make them brisk (and brisker) ... something like a fitbit or garmin thing helps you to track your actuals

smile often

Live your life.
Your valve doesn't define you, but it can be a nice conversation piece! Don't be afraid of it.
Don't be embarrassed about your scars.
Have your family tested for similar conditions.
Make sure to stick with follow up. One replacement is not a "cure" (as I learned), even if you went mechanical. There may be other issues down the road (but don't obsess). Just keep up with monitoring. I still go in once a year after nearly 26 years since my first replacement and 7 since my aneurysm repair/replacement.

I've only had mine just over 2 years, but if I may: try to think of the positives. What would life be without it? In my case, statistically I would be dead by now. And I am sure that my quality of life through that time would have been very poor. Instead I lead a more-or-less normal life, occasional trips to the hospital for bi-annual anti-coagulation checking, annual checks on my valve and PM, grateful for the skills of the surgical teams who did my AVR and then pacemaker, and for the care shown by the nurses, cleaners and caterers!

Trinalovescats.....you have come thru the most challenging time in dealing with valve replacement when they wheeled you out of the operating room AFTER your surgery. The only important change is you are now on a med (warfarin) that MUST be monitored regularly......otherwise, just live your normal life. Stay current with your followups with your docs. Try not to do a lot of stupid things, but don't wrap yourself in "bubble wrap" "cause you can do most things without danger. Don't worry about the vit K thing.....eat as you like and always "dose the diet and do not diet the dose". You will probably think about your valve often.....at least I have, but don't let it dominate your life. You have been fixed, so enjoy it.

Dick0236 and Pellicle (and all others) - Thanks so much for posting on here. I am about 5 weeks post-op myself, and the advice you give is golden. I appreciate you guys spending time here and passing on your knowledge, experience, and outlook. This makes all the difference in the world for me, and I am sure for everyone else. You guys are why this is such a great forum.

You guys are all wonderful.My dad had a dental appointment today and he told them I had MVR.Like many outside this forum,she had no idea what it was!

Bgilbert-welcome to the forum and yes it's always good to ask advice and read what others have gone through.

Back