For Those That Had a Ross...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcsf

If you had a Ross did you need to have your aorta replaced a second (third) time? If you required another AVR or PVR or both what type of valve did you use? I am curious to what type of valve other patients chose the second or third time. Thanks.

It is fairly common for the Ross to fail after an average of 10 years depending on when it was done and by which surgeon. At one time, they didn't feel the need to support the aortic root with additional dacron, so many failed due to aortic root dilation. That happened to me, so I opted to try and get it repaired. Unfortunately, the repair didn't last very long and it started to regurgitate quite a bit. I guess the valve must have been too worn out.

6 months ago, I had my aortic valve replaced with the 3rd gen St Jude Trifecta valve. So far, I am extremely pleased! I highly recommend the St Jude Trifecta.

It is more rare to need the pulmonary replaced.

Good luck!

If you had a Ross did you need to have your aorta replaced a second (third) time? If you required another AVR or PVR or both what type of valve did you use? I am curious to what type of valve other patients chose the second or third time. Thanks.

My RP lasted 7 years. Second time around I got an On-X valve with aortic graft. Had it for two years so far and am extremely pleased with it. I still have the homograph pulmonary valve which is still doing fine.
Good luck!

My RP lasted about 11 years. I've just (about 3 months ago) had my aortic root replaced with a dacron graft. The aortic and pulmonary valves that were "installed" during my RP are both doing okay and so were left in place. When my aortic valve needs replacing again (I don't think anyone could tell me when that's likely to be - somewhere between a couple of years and 15 years is my guess) I'll probably opt for a mechanical.

Back