For the women.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DachsieMom

For those women who have had AVR, are on warfarin and still have their periods, check your iron! I am coming up on a year post AVR. Long story short, I have been very tired and the past few months, my hair has been falling out. My periods have been ridiculously long and heavy due to warfarin. I thought my hair loss was because I was switched to Jantoven from warfarin by my insurer. However, I had my iron checked and I was severely anemic - only 7 (supposed to be 10-233, so I was dangerously low). I just started iron supplements today. My sister, who had AVR about 1.5 years ago, is also on iron. I think that is why my hair has been falling out. If you are on warfarin, please consider checking your iron.

I have a tissue valve but my hair has been falling out since surgery. I have a routine visit with my GP scheduled for next Friday. I will ask her to check my iron. I've never had problems before but who knows. Thanks for the tip!

DachsieMom, I don't know if you are "done" with the functional use for your uterus, but if you are, you might want to ask your doctor if an endometrial ablation is right for you. (Does that sound like a commercial or what!) I had one maybe 6 years ago for very heavy periods that were also impacting my iron levels (maybe the full dose aspirin I'm on affects this?) and it is the best thing ever. I still have my period but it is very light. It is an in-office gyno procedure, they just go in and cauterize or freeze the blood-producing layer (or as much as they can reach) and the whole thing took about 20 minutes. Not sure if or how warfarin would affect the procedure but it could be worth investigating for you.

Thanks! My ob mentioned the ablation, but she said I would have to get off of warfarin for a few days and do it in a hospital. I am scared of not being on warfarin. Additionally, she mentioned that having your period protects your heart.....

I also had an ablation several years ago for heavy periods. I can't imagine how they would be now that I'm on coumadin. I was very lucky in that I don't have periods at all since recovering from the procedure.
I'm suprised that you would need to stop your coumadin, maybe you could bridge to lovonox for the procedure. I didn't have any post procedure bleeding that I remember. Also you still have all the hormones and your cycle just as you do now, the ablation just lessens or completely eliminates the blood loss.

You still have your hormones after an ablation to protect your heart and produce those awesome mood swings . . . or maybe that tissue produces something I don't know about?

I was pretty much homebound mine was so bad, so I'm glad I was able to have it done. Long as you know about the option.

Yep. That happened to me too. I'm also one of those dangerously low iron counts. I wonder if this is a trend in women after this type of surgery?

Also a tip for anyone who has to take a large dose of iron, do yourself a favor and take it in the evening. Trust me on this, your intestines will thank you!

3Princesses, can you take iron with warfarin? I have been taking it at lunch so it will not interfere with warfarin or my thyroid meds that I take in the morning, but I would rather take it at night with warfarin.

Hi ladies,
Looking for advice. I had AVR surgery in Feb 2017, mechanical valve. Im 44, and on on 5 mg of Coumadin, with 7.5 2 days of the week. I was diagnosed with PMDD years before, and have always had debilitating symptoms surrounding my cycle (depression, migraines for 7-10 days, and heavy bleeding.) Since surgery the bleeding is totally out of control. It was bad before but now I am home-bound for at least 2-3 days, with clots the size of golf balls and blood loss so severe that I am weak and dizzy. (I am seeing the post about iron and will definitely look into that) Progesterone didn't work, as I seem to be allergic to it. My doctors say no for bcps. It looks like my only alternative is a hysterectomy. Has anyone out there had one for this problem? Full or partial? My doc is saying partial will relieve the bleeding, but not the PMDD symptoms. But a full (taking out ovaries and all) will throw me into menopause and then I'll have to take estrogen which can cause clotting issues.? I've got to do something soon as my quality of life is way worse than before surgery. HELP!!!!!

I don't know what PMDD means, but I also have what appears to be a murder scene every montly cycle due to Coumadin. I was exhausted. Getting on iron really helped - I am on OTC - called Vitron C. My obgyn said she could do an ablation which would stop my cycles but does not affect hormones - but I decided not to do it. You might want to look into it though.

Juliemoon;n884304 said:
I'll have to take estrogen which can cause clotting issues.? I've got to do something soon as my quality of life is way worse than before surgery. HELP!!!!!
Any risk of getting a clot on Estrogen would be minimised by Warfarin.

Thank you Agian. My doctor didn't mention this, so that's reassuring. DachsieMom: I'm sorry you have this too. I started iron, and will be exploring my options. The last thing I want is more surgery, but must do something. Wishing you both the best!

Latest posts

Back