Foods for Healthy Gums and Hearts

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily

Premium Level User
Saw an interesting article a few days ago that stated, "People with gum disease, which affects up to 50 percent of American adults, are twice as likely to suffer from heart problems."

It also mentioned that last year a major heart journal and a major periodontal journal simultaneously published a consensus paper outlining the link between the two diseases -- inflammation.

Here's an excerpt of the article I read, bolding mine:

"Studies show that regular exercise and stress reduction can have anti-inflammatory effects. Besides exercising and, of course, getting regular dental checkups, choosing certain foods may also help you protect both your gums and your heart:

Raisins
You might think that because raisins are sweet and sticky, they're not good for your oral health. But research has shown that antioxidants in raisins fight the growth of a type of bacteria that can cause inflammation and gum disease.

Green tea
Scientists reported in 2009 that Japanese men who drank a daily cup of green tea significantly lowered their risk of developing gum disease -- the more the tea, the lower the risk. The researchers believe antioxidants called catechins in green tea are the key. Catechins hamper the body's inflammatory response to the bacteria that cause gum disease.

Whole grains
A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that men who ate four or more servings of whole grains a day reduced their risk of periodontal disease by 23 percent. Compared to refined carbohydrates (white bread, white rice), whole grains (oatmeal, brown rice) are digested more slowly, causing a steadier rise in blood glucose, says study author Anwar Merchant, D.M.D., Sc.D., an epidemiologist at the University of South Carolina, Columbia. Avoiding spikes in blood sugar tempers the body's production of inflammatory proteins -- and lowers the risk of both gum and heart disease."

Read more: http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/06...ds-for-healthy-gums-and-hearts/#ixzz0sHtfFpfH

Thanks for posting this! Very interesting. I knew that bad gums could lead to heart infections. That applies to dogs as well (as my vets like to remind me). I avoid green tea because I had such problems getting my PT-INR to the right zone in the early days. I know Ross disagrees with that, but I still find the wide dominance of green instead of regular iced tea annoying. But I digress... Whole grains and seeds and nuts are a big part of my diet, so I have that part covered. Raisins are NOT my favorite food and they are notoriously terrible for causing tooth cavities, but interesting about the gum thing. Vitamin C foods are important for strong gums as well.

THanks Lily...that was very informative....I also just read that women who drink 2 cups of green tea a day significantly reduce their chance of getting breast cancer. So i am always making my wife green tea! Its amazing that so many foods that the ancient Chinese and others used, turn out to be such good disease fighting agents. Stay Healthy!!! Michael

Back